Mature Palm Tree yellowing

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by woodeart, Mar 30, 2021.

1. woodeart

woodeart Member

Our mature 20' palm tree is turning yellow from the base up. We still have some completely green fronds at the top. The tree is getting ample light and sufficient water over the winter due to our rain and has never been transplanted. Wondering if this might be soil related? A very mature magnolia (same height) on our neighbour's property growing next to it on. We think it is a windmill palm but did not take notes when we planted it many years ago. I'm attaching a photo.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Windmill palm. These often need to be fertilized in our region. In addition the raised bed it is in looks like it is at least partly filled with a coarse mix that may have become quite leached out at this point.

3. woodeart

woodeart Member

Thanks very much. We have never fertilized it! OMG. Can you suggest a specific fertilizer

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably it and the severely deficient looking shrub in the nearby pot need nitrogen supplementation. However strictly speaking your soil should be sampled and tested to see before a product is selected and applied.

5. woodeart

woodeart Member

I will get some fertilizer and get soil tested but will likely start with fertilizer today. You've been a terrific help.

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    RonB is a wise advice person here

Your paint colour and siding and window shape are lovely!

I notice in the photo a lot of what looks like rain gutter water collection - yes?

So if that is new and your roof is new (relatively speaking - even after 13 yr we get grit off our downspouts fr the 40 yr rated roof manufactured in Oregon) — I worry about collecting asphalt shingle or generally roof water for other than hosing down the driveway or putting on the lawn

I don’t let our pets or the wild garden birds drink roof water (gutter downspout water) not would I use it for edible garden.

Has that roof water gone on your palm and the nearby shrub?

I agree w RonB to look into fertilizer.

And details like new paving on your patio or a new irrigation automatic system might be relevant factors.

And if you’re North Shore - those sudden cold snaps make a difference don’t they?