Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

Lots of work getting ready for Spring, but not a lot to show for it yet, in terms of plant growth. Everything in the back yard is just on the verge of budding out. (I made a blog post documenting some of my work. URL in Profile.)

One task that is new to me is grafting Plums.
    I tried last year, but it didn't work.
    Trying again this Spring, fingers crossed. I am using a Swiss Army Knife to make the cuts, which may not be sharp enough. (Sharp enough to cut my fingers apparently.) Did a better job than last year, but still a bit of a butcher job.

Can anybody here recommend a good knife for grafting, and where to get it?

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Nik

Nik Contributor

Still nothing happening in terms of plants in the yard, so I decided to post pictures of rocks.
    To be more precise, these are two of the most impressive glacial erratics in our yard. They mark the highest point of the property, way above our roofline but luckily far enough from the house. (Not that they are going anywhere anytime soon). Each is more than 10 feet wide and about 7 feet high.

Attached Files:

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Those trees sure didn't win the lottery for good homesites.

Nik and Margot like this.
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Georgia Strait, wcutler and Nik like this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi Wendy, I have to take and post some pictures of the huge trees that grow in such conditions in the area. And they are perfectly healthy. You will be amazed. I am still amazed.. Nature is amazing...

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

In the UK Rock Gardens were all the craze in the latter part of the 20th century, but that interest faded away with people removing their rockeries. I'm glad for your sake N that you don't want to remove those beauties.

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I was out in the garden a few minutes ago, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I heard the roar of rushing water. I looked up to see my stream overflowing all the way from the street at the top to the street at the bottom. What a mess, thanks to the district water main flushing. No warning of course.

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

Now that's a water feature Margot. Love where you have placed the two Adirondack chairs to sit and watch your lovely garden grow. Very relaxing..

9. Acerholic

I still have lots of bare limbs here in Southern England in my garden, but today my Sorbus Lutescens whitebeam showed signs of Spring.
    Sorbus Lutescens Whitebeam  705.JPG

Nik likes this.
  10. Acerholic

The sun is out and feeling pleasantly warm for the time of year, so I thought I would take a photo of my Pieris forest flame before the forecasted frost hits it.
    Pieris forest flame 705.JPG

Nik, Margot and pmurphy like this.
  11. Acerholic

The first official day of Spring, so I took this photo this morning of my Euonymus japonicum Paloma blanca to celebrate what is hoped is the start of better times and better weather for us all.
    Euonymus japonicum paloma blanca 705.JPG

Nik, pmurphy and Margot like this.
  12. Acerholic

This caught my eye this afternoon in my garden, Betula Snow queen the buds are getting ready to break. I don't think anybody has posted them like this before, so I thought 'Why not'.
    Betula snow queen 706.JPG

Nik and Margot like this.
  13. Acerholic

What a lovely day here in Southern England today. The sun was out and in my garden my Corylus avellana Contorta Corkscrew tree and my Cryptomeria Japonica Dinger are both just waking up. I repotted my Corkscrew tree in February, so was pleased to see it coming to life.
    Corkscrew hazel 708.JPG Corkscrew  hazel 709.JPG Corkscrew hazel 710.JPG Cryptomeria japonica dinger 709.JPG Cryptomeria japonica dinger 710.JPG

Nik, pmurphy and Margot like this.
  14. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Well it was a beautiful day so I finally allowed myself to start working in the gardens today (not that I haven't been cheating a bit), and I have a whole list of projects to work on. But I also decided to take some photos....

Hellebore 'Jade Tiger'
    Paperbush 'Red Dragon'
    Evergreen fern-leaved clematis 'Balearica'
    Anemones and variegated Alaskan cedar
    Western trillium
    Euphorbia 'Tasmanian Tiger'
    Hellebore 'Golden Lotus'
    Marsh marigold
    Dwarf nectarine
    Forsythia 'Northern Gold'
    Tulip 'Unicum'

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  15. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Wow, @pmurphy, what a beautiful collection of early spring flowers! I'd like to comment on every one . . . the unusual Helleborus 'Jade Tiger' to the incredible Edgeworthia to to the fact that you Trillium ovatum is blooming already . . . just for starters.

16. Acerholic

No walking today as we are decorating, so during a break from the paint fumes, I was in our garden and my Katsura Tree leaves were unfurling. The overnight frost did nothing to deter them and they definatly deserved a photo IMO.
    Katsura tree 710.JPG

17. pmurphy

Took a quick peek at some of the flowers before I started working outside....

Hellebore 'red sapphire'
    Rice paper plant sending out new leaves

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

I would love to see a photo of your Rice paper plant in the Summer P. Your photo looks so small and cute, but I know they are monster plants when fully grown. Wonderful if you have the space.

19. pmurphy

The plant stalk is only about 30cm (not counting he new leaf) but I think this year is will put on some height. It was less than half that size when I got it 2 years ago so I'm just glad it has been surviving our winters.

20. Acerholic

So it could be Jack and the beanstalk time , lol.

21. Acerholic

So small in my garden this morning, but when my Lonicera Strawberries and cream starts to unfurl it's leaves, I know that Spring is well and truly here. I was pleased to get a raindrop inside.
    Lonicera Straberries and cream 710.JPG

22. pmurphy

Here's a plant that always surprises me.
    These flowers appear, that are not really that eye-catching, in early spring and are only about 20cm tall. But later you get giant leaves that can be up to 1.5m tall with a spread of 1.2m....

Giant Japanese butterbur

Attached Files:

Margot, Acerholic and Nik like this.
  23. Nik

Nik Contributor

The only flowers in the yard so far are the Acer rubrum buds opening. I could not get them in focus on the lower branches of one of the trees, so I broke off a small twig for a close up.
    Also a volunteer daffodil that I tried to eradicate for several years by pulling the leaves out every summer. Last year I gave up. So there will be flowers this spring, I will post a photo when they open. Very curious to see what they look like, our neighbors have a large variety, I am pretty sure the seed came from their yard, I hope it is an unusual hybrid.
    And a butterfly, believe it or not, liking the sweet sap from a red maple that was cut down in mid-December.

Attached Files:

Margot, Acerholic and pmurphy like this.
  24. pmurphy

I noticed the new leaves starting to emerge on my Pieris and had to take a photo...

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Lovely P, mine should be here for Easter, just as it gets cold again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.