Appreciation: Best Buds

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by wcutler, Nov 20, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I wanted to get a thread going of winter buds for leaves and flowers, but I was waiting for something to post. I'm inviting @pmurphy to post your Cornus mas photo here to get this going. Or anyone else is welcome to beat her to it.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Setting buds now for late winter blooming:

Cornelian cherry aka edible dogwood (a nice sweet fruit when ripe)
    Paperbush - these clusters will hang protected like this until February/March when they will open

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

We saw this whilst on our long walk this morning and thought how about a photo or two for this thread. Viburnum davidii. We love the leaves as well.

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Nik like this.
  4. Acerholic

This Corylus avellana or Common Hazel buds I saw this morning looked worthy of a mention. Such a lovely tree.
    Corylus avellana or Common hazel.JPG

Nik likes this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Flower buds on mountain laurel and NOID rhododendron.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

This is my Daphne eternal fragrance this morning, showing that I'm going to get some lovely flowers in 2021.
    Daphne eternal fragrance 236.JPG

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  7. Acerholic

This one is my Daphne odora that will come to life in February, filling my garden with a wonderful perfume and pink flowers, that tells me Spring is just around the corner.
    IMG_20201123_103641054.jpg

Nik likes this.
  8. Acerholic

It's the 23rd December 2020 and my Daphne Odora that I have in a pot is showing signs of lovely pink buds. The next several days are going to knock it back due to nightime minus temperatures.
    IMG_20201223_095004867.jpg

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  9. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

Hellebores and hepatica getting ready

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  10. Acerholic

I have some very chilly buds in my garden this morning. But in a few weeks they will burst into life. Can't wait tbh.
    Betula Snow Queen 271.JPG Fagus Sylvatica black swan 270.JPG

11. Acerholic

My Daphne odora is very close to giving a great display this year together with the wonderful scent it brings. Photo from this morning.
    Daphne odora 300.JPG

12. Acerholic

Now buds can be from any plant or tree so how about Tilia x europaea or Common lime tree that have been pollarded. We have walked past these every day for decades but never photographed them until today.
    My camera was not good enough to reach the buds, but they are there. IMG_20210309_112741885.jpg IMG_20210309_112807131_HDR.jpg IMG_20210309_112801506_HDR.jpg

13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm being disloyal to the VCBF forum area, but these Prunus 'Shirotae' buds on March 23 are among my favourite buds, and my favourite cherry buds for sure. At the West End Community Centre. I think this is early for these to be this advanced, and I actually like them at the eirlier stage before the bud scales have opened.
    Shirotae_WECC_Cutler_20210323_121259.jpg

14. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Is this the same Daphne odora you mentioned as starting to bloom at the beginning of February? Mine is finally in full bloom and, oh, the fragrance is overwhelming!

15. Acerholic

Good morning Margot, yes it is and my garden is full of fragrance also. This year in particular has seen a great profusion of flowers. The best in many years tbh. Hope thats a good sign for everything else.

16. Acerholic

@Margot I've been out working in the garden early this morning and as the scent hit me from my Daphne odora, I thought I would take a couple of photos to share as you were talking about it earlier.
    20210325_090705.jpg 20210325_090819.jpg

pmurphy likes this.