Acer palmatum 'Peaches and Cream'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 31, 2004.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Definitely more pink/peach on the leaves thus far this spring - and I do like it! I guess it will be trial and error (as with so many cultivars) as to how much sun is enough to bring out the desired characteristics without frying it to ashes...

Attached Files:

2. jfuller

jfuller New Member

It's been quite some time since a post was made in this thread, but it was one of many cultivar-specific threads on this forum that helped my decision! Truly the best JM resource on the net, according to my googling. Also this is my first post.

This is the latest addition to my patio, not sure of age but it was growing out of its 2-gal pot when I picked it up. It's on a north-facing patio and gets filtered morning sun and full sun in the evening (shade in the afternoon). I plan to add a beni maiko to the collection as well.

Photos taken yesterday (Aug 17)

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice, healthy tree.

I bought a small one (6 cm pot) at a plant fair in April, but I won't show any photos this year: the leaves suffered from the heat and also from Megachile (leafcutter bees), but it's still alive: I'll post pics next spring. ;-)

4. jfuller

jfuller New Member

Here are some photos of my young Peaches & Cream as of today here in Vancouver BC. It leafed out pretty true to name, with green leaves that had white-ish webbing and pink-orange tinged tips. It's changed quite a lot over the past few weeks and has taken on a lot of red, which it didn't have to start out. The 'peach' is more of a rust colour and the leaves have a waxy appearance. Not complaining though, it's been a joy to watch from day to day.

This tree is on a north-facing patio where it receives filtered sun in the early morning hours and direct sun in the evening. It's in open shade from about 9am to 6pm right now.

Attached Files:

5. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I moved mine to a sheltered, shady spot on the west side of my house. It got pretty scorched last year. Looking good so far this spring.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    jfuller likes this.
  6. jfuller

jfuller New Member

Here are some leafing out photos of this P&C for the 2019 season, to continue its documentation. I love the young leaf colours, very true to the name. This tree has been very accepting of repotting, not skipping a beat and already some new growth is 4-6" long with three leaf pairs

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is a delicate one in my garden, that is lovely in Spring but once the heat comes it struggles. Here it is looking it's best just before the 2020 heat wave in June.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

July 20th 2020 and the colours IMO on this cultivar are wonderful.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.
    This one is holding very well this year, it can suffer with the heat but surprisingly not atm.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    Enjoying the early morning sun. No damage !!!!

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    Massive amount of new growth still coming through. Far too late in the season for this delicate maple to keep these new branches for next year. Unless its a particularly mild Autumn and early Winter.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    Pretty, but the new growth now on this delicate cultivar will almost certainly get hit by the frosts, hence these branches will die back.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Peaches and cream. This us my favourite in my garden today. The new growth is just amazing IMO.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

2nd October 2020 and my Peaches and cream is one of the brightest maples in my garden atm. Even after a pounding from the heavy overnight rain it still looked pretty this morning.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

9th October 2020 and my Peaches and cream is showing why it is named as such. It doesn't last too long, so it is to be enjoyed whilst you can.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

22nd March 2021 and my Peaches and cream this morning is not as far along as my White Peaches but now swelling very nicely for this time of year. It's very sensitive to frost so my fingers are crossed this Spring.
    Peaches and cream 706.JPG

17. blake

blake Active Member 10 Years

I haven't posted to this forum in many, many years but apparently I still follow some threads and receive email notification for activity. Acerholic, your post caught my attention due to your reference to "White Peaches". I did some googling and 'White Peaches' appears to be a formal name that trees are being commercially sold under.

The reason for my post is this: Is the white/cream form of Peaches referred to earlier in this thread (post #49, #64-67, etc.) now being officially referred to and sold as 'White Peaches' or is 'White Peaches' a different introduction all together?

I checked a few commercial sites and I didn't really find any clarity. For example, the description on the 'White Peaches' product page on the Mr. Maple site states 'White Peaches' is a Buchholz introduction found in Dr. Bump's garden. Okay, so Dr. Bump could have been growing the white/cream form of Peaches or perhaps the find was a seedling, sport, etc.

The photos provide even less clarity. The second image on the Mr. Maple product page shows what looks like a dead ringer for the white/cream form of 'Peaches and Cream'. However, the first pic (the close up of the new growth) looks like a different plant entirely. Unlike the second photo, the leaf shape is not fingerlike, the pink coloring is not confined to only the tips, and there is no green reticulation. After many years, both my white/cream form Peaches have never shown new growth like this.

Any additional info on this topic would be appreciated.

18. Acerholic

Good afternoon Blake and although you haven't posted for many years you are very welcome back to the fold so to speak.
    Regarding Peaches and cream and White Peaches, I'm afraid I really can't give much of an update for you regarding the origin, other than they are very similar in all aspects other than the colouring of the leaves. White Peaches throughout the season has the pale creamy colour one would expect from it's name. Whereas Peaches and cream has both.
    Now if this was simply a marketing ploy or yet another synonym of Peaches and cream, then there would really be no difference at all, but there clearly is.
    IMO White Peaches was a chance seedling from Peaches and cream as the similarity other than the leaf colour is just too close. I maybe wrong, but it is what I have thought about this cultivar for some time.
    Hope that's of a little help and please don’t stay away for so long next time,Lol.
    D

19. blake

Acerholic - Thanks for the reply and for the welcome back. So no quick answer (imagine that with maples!) as to if 'White Peaches' is the form referred to earlier in this thread (a few places but #64-67 for succinct reference) as the white/cream form of 'Peaches and Cream' or if it's different entirely - a third entry to what can generally be referred to as the two forms of Peaches of Cream that have been out there for years.

So here's one for you, since I see you are a moderator: Should 'White Peaches' have its own entry in the cultivar photos section or should it be lumped here? Either way, I would like to see more photos of your 'White Peaches' (as well as anyone else's) so I can more closely compare it to my white/cream form Peaches.

20. Acerholic

Hi again Blake, it already has it's own cultivar photos thread. Here is the link. Acer palmatum 'White peaches'
    Of course I will post my White Peaches throughout the season, can't wait for it to leaf out.

21. Acerholic

@blake, I just wanted to add that Continents do bring out differences in cultivars, something very evident on the photos section.

22. blake

I googled but missed that thread. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Your very welcome, do post a photo of your White Peaches or Peaches and Cream, I'm certain everyone would like to see these from Texas.

24. Acerholic

14th April 2021 and the wait is over. My Peaches and cream leaves are just starting to unfurl, even though we are having frosts every night atm.
    Peaches and cream 189.JPG

25. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

Great color on this cultivar. One of the newest in my collection. Very photogenic tree. All pics taken at same time at different areas of the tree. Amazing.

Attached Files:

D97x7, AlainK and Acerholic like this.