Maple shopping list 2021

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Dec 29, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hey E, you are correct, Flower God is. 'Blushing Beauty', you are right about that one as well, i think. I found Ed and stumbled a pic of it. Ed put me in touch with someone he let collect scion that would possible have one. I was lucky because he only had one. I was searching the internet for any info on it but only found you mentioning the name back in 14 or 16 being evaluated. How is yours doing btw?

Seems like i might have another green house tree. What should i be keeping an eye out for? 'Sliver Celebration' sounds like something i will start asking about. E, they are already on the way. Next time i will post my list before hand.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A great excuse D, but tbh who needs an excuse Lol. Happy birthday dear friend.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

right D! lol
    thanks

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't think he really has decided whether it's worth being a cultivar yet. I might be wrong, his is reliably spectacular. Mine is not reliable, though it has blushed a few times.

As for "how is it doing" the answer is "not great". I hope it's going to survive, but I planted it last year and it suffered hugely. It has some big buds, but they may not be viable: it still wants to be really early, and I think the buds froze. The frame is still alive, at least for now, and if it makes it through this year it will be in with a change. I'd be sorry to lose it, for sure.

Not sure what to suggest for Carnival except keep it out of the sun. Mine looked good for a few years, but now... I may try fertilizing it, but it's pretty determined to revert even as is.

Hey happy birthday indeed!

5. Castor

Castor Active Member

Hello everyone
    I’m scheduled to receive ap Fireglow,ap Crimson Prince and as Purple umbrella.

Acerholic and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  6. Acerholic

Look forward to you posting photos. It certainly is shopping time now!!

7. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

My list is more a wishlist than a shopping list but here's what I have in mind:

saccharum monumentale (likely not to happen)
    Ukigumo (large one)
    Mikawa yatsubusa (large one)
    Orangeola (tall one)
    Ruysei (tall one)
    Autumn moon
    Pictum Usugumo(likely not to happen)
    Japanese princess(likely not to happen)
    Mayday (likely not to happen)
    Mystic mikawa (likely not to happen)
    Hupp's dwarf
    Mr sun
    Purple frosted(likey not to happen)
    Emerald lace
    olsen's frosted strawberry
    Amber ghost
    Purple ghost
    Tamukeyama
    Shigitatsu sawa
    Summer gold
    Kurenai jishi (biggest i could find)
    Hanezu hogoromo
    beni otome
    Seigen/seigai (a true pink one)
    Fjellheim
    shin nyo

emery, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

Good afternoon I, Someone asked the other day on the Maple Society online get together how to get maples from the US to Germany. Think it might have been Nico. But anyway the answer was it probably will never happen as there is too much paperwork etc for the growers.
    I agree with you on so many of your wish list trees. Every time I watch Charlie on Amazing Maples or Matt and Tim on Mr Maple, there is yet another tree to add to a list that I will never have.
    But never say never, one day an enterprising grower will see a niche market in Europe and the UK and be able to get their head around the red tape and hey presto we will all be ordering from the US.
    We can only dream!!!

LoverOfMaples and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  9. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

@Acerholic ,
    Good afternoon D.
    Thank you for your words that gives a little hope, we Europeans and UK (sorry if misspelled) are in the same boat.

I think it is obvious that we are dying to get our hands on those wonderfull cultivars( we live only one time) and that we would gladly pay the price asked (hopefully not too extreme as we are just normal poeple in terms of economy).

I don't see any better place than this forum to let the US nurseries or any big respected importer from this continent know about our wishes.

We will keep dreaming till it become true ; )

10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Not commercially viable one would assume or we would be flooded out with all these new cultivars , most of which seem to me to be just variations of ones already in circulation just slightly tweeked and given a new sexy name for extra sales appeal, just look at all the reticulates now can't keep up with all the new "names" that keep coming out , then you will have the problem of propagation rights who legally own those, will it still be the exporting country or the importing country Me personally i have well over a hundred + cultivars lots of old established cultivars as well i may add and that's more than enough for me, have all the colours i want to see during spring and fall , if anything i could do with thinning out a few in the next few years. Just wish someone somewhere would create a new cultivar which everyone would want in a collection "White dissectum " one that springs to mind, now i would invest a few ££/$$ in one of those for sure, apart from that i am happy with what i have.

11. Acerholic

Yorkshire common sense comes to the fore yet again. Agree about a white dissectum, that's the fantasy maple I'm sure. But hey you never know M.

12. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I don't seem to plan things too much. Kind of wing it every year and look for new ones. So while I was waiting for my Black Tulip Magnolia (in honor of Maggie) to ship from Sooner, I placed an order for a Japanese Sunrise yesterday to place in a bare spot I've been considering filling for a while.

Meanwhile little Maggie's been growing like a weed...

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, Shin-Deshojo and 3 others like this.
  13. Acerholic

Now that's a weed that is always welcome in a garden J. What a smile!!

dangerine49 likes this.
  14. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

My list is quite simple...

All the maples I sold over the last 4 months or so lol. D and M.. I’m coming for you lol ;-)

Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  15. Luke’s Maples

I am pick up these on Friday. Between 3 and 10ltr sizes

Beni Maiko
    Aconitifolium
    Elmwood
    ichigyoji
    Shigure Zome
    Sekka Yatsubusa
    Utsu Semi
    Tsuri Nishiki
    Kamagata

Very excited obvs ;-)

16. Acerholic

Lol, glad to hear you joking again Luke. The forum has missed your humour, well I hope that's what that was.......

17. Acerholic

Where are they coming from Luke, is it your tried and tested supplier? 'Acers Direct'.
    Look forward to seeing photos of them all.

18. Luke’s Maples

My hidden gem of a supplier.. yes you are indeed correct Derek.

19. Luke’s Maples

They don’t have Uncle Ghost though and that is the only Ghost I don’t have. May have to go Hippo shopping lol

20. Luke’s Maples

I hope the Orion I sold you doesn’t disappoint you this year. Personally I thought it was quite stunning.

21. Luke’s Maples

And the same with @ROEBUK, who bought many of mine. Still regret letting him twist my arm to sell him my Johin lol.

22. Luke’s Maples

If anyone wants a Maple that turns fire orange with striking green, yellow and red veining in Autumn then look no further than Orion and Johin. I was mesmerised by them both. Until I sold them of course lol

23. Acerholic

I will post photos when it leafs out. It will not disappoint and it has the history of us meeting each other in person, so that gives it a very special place in my garden.

24. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I got spoiled this year...

Shirasawanum: Moonrise, Bashful, 6910, Mr. Sun
    Palmatum: Pung Kil, Summer Gold
    sieboldianum: Fall Colors
    truncatum Akikaze nishiki

all big enough to make immediate impact
    I am blessed

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

You certainly did Keith, what a great selection. Instant impact trees are wonderful, but over here they are so expensive. Saw a small multi stemmed Griseum the other day on a TV gardening program that cost £700. All getting rather silly.