Help to ID Hedge

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ChrisC, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

Hi All,

I have a hedge in my front yard that I'm looking to ID. Photos taken today (March 16th) in Victoria, BC. There are small black berries on it. The hedge is approximately 2 feet high. Please let me know if I can provide anymore details.

Thanks!!
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Ligustrum vulgare.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Common Privet Ligustrum vulgare.

4. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

Thanks all - much appreciated.
    To me it seems a bit "messy" and it captures and holds all of the needles that fall from an overhead sequoia tree. I was planning to remove and replace with something an evergreen - maybe boxwood (please let me know if you think I'd be making a huge mistake by removing it... I've only lived in the house for 5 months so might be getting ahead of myself!).

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Box is being hammered by box blight in North America - look into Japanese holly instead.

Margot likes this.
  6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

If it is a low hedge you want, I'm sure Japanese holly would be a good alternative to either the ailing Privet hedge that you have now or certainly Boxwood and its potential problems . . . but why not think of a wider garden bed that goes back even 10 feet from the wall and plant an assortment of shrubs and perennials to enhance the street appeal of your property. Depending on whether you can irrigate, you could choose from a wide assortment of plants that either need watering or are drought-tolerant.

You've been there only 5 (winter) months. Victoria is a fabulous place for a gardener with almost limitless potential. Take the time to look around at what your neighbours are growing and what you admire. Instead of just solving a hedge problem, maybe this is a good time to embrace the gardener in you.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

Hi Ron - I've read about box blight and had similar concerns. Japanese holly looks like a good alternative. The nursery we had been in touch with re: boxwood had indicated that there are some strategies to help mitigate against blight however there is still a reasonably high risk that it would be an issue.

Margot - now you have me thinking... thanks for the excellent idea. I agree that there is so much potential if we want to get creative and put in the extra effort. There are some beautiful gardens in our neighborhood for inspiration.