Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Luke, Good to be back :) :) :) Few of your little guys all ready for the off now !! couple of pics for you showing they coped very well 'up't north' through the cold and the snow of recent weeks past and looking forward to see them in the spring , all starting to swell nicely at the moment. The Alpenweiss looks very promising fingers crossed and the three large terracotta potted ones are going to live at the back of the house just made a large cradle for them, situ them tomorrow , by the way where did you get the black plastic name tags and white marker pen from ?? will post more pics for you when they break etc. Glad to see you back.

Attached Files:

Acerholic, Shin-Deshojo and emery like this.
  2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi Mark, thanks.

Im glad they are doing well. I have to be honest I have no idea what the Izo No Odoriko will turn out like. I hope it’s as stunning as I’d hoped.

I got the tags and marker pen from Amazon. I just had a look and the ones I ordered that came with the pen are unavailable.

Attached Files:

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Luke , Yes the izo will be a work in progress for the next few years , need to see what it does this season would be very surprised if i got the whole white leaf with the red edging tend to think it will be a mixture of various greens reds with some white splashes to be honest but time will tell with this one? Thanks for the info re the tags etc will look to see if i can get some with the pens?

4. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Hello, I bring you some maples to cheer up.

Attached Files:

5. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

And some seeds that are already being born.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

And they certainly have J.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  7. Acerholic

And new life, they are looking good as I expect from you J.

8. Acerholic

Just thought I would post this as it has certainly cheered me up. I had a text to say I will be getting a delivery tomorrow of an 8 year old Acer Griseum. This is to replace the one I lost in 2020. It's an early birthday present. My wife knew I was upset at losing my one last year, so as the sweetie she is, she searched for a replacement.
    Will post photos as soon as it comes and is planted. Can't wait!!

9. Acerholic

It arrived first thing, around 7ft tall, lovely condition with a good root structure in a 10ltr pot. Lots of buds also. The bark as can be seen in photo 3 is already peeling.
    I have planted it in a part of my front garden, the bamboo cane will be removed later. The planting area is raised to allow for water to run away from the trunk.
    I'm a happy boy !! This is a present that will keep giving year after year.
    IMG_20210301_081711845_HDR.jpg IMG_20210301_081703053.jpg IMG_20210301_081659847.jpg

10. Luke’s Maples

Very nice D. How exciting.

On another note, I just wanted to share a pic I just took of what is most likely a Sango Kaku. I walk past it every day on the way to work and today in the sun it looked incredible.

Attached Files:

11. Luke’s Maples

The photo, as is often the case do it justice. The red is much brighter than appears in the photo. I shall enjoy walking past it through the seasons, and as it looks to be in a sunny position should be wonderful in Autumn.

12. Acerholic

Good afternoon Luke, thanks I am very pleased with it. This is the last tree to come to my garden, I have no room left. This one was a gift and a replacement so I can just about justify it.
    Time to start doing the repotting and pruning this Sunday. The buds are swelling fast. All systems go now.
    Yes that's a lovley Sangu Kaku, nice to walk past every day for you. They had better watch out as an air layer might just appear, Lol.

13. Luke’s Maples

Hahaha, the thought never crossed my mind. But that’s only because I have no idea how to do it haha

14. vbx

vbx Active Member

Air layering on one of the maple didn't take. The tree actually tried to heal itself instead of growing roots. So fall seems to be a bad time to do it.

15. Acerholic

That's a a shame A, but I have to agree that Autumn is a bad time to do air layering. IMO May is a good time.
    Do have a look at this old thread where Air layering is discussed. Hope it helps.
    Air Layering Japanese Maples

vbx likes this.
  16. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

A tiny cutting from last year that nature gifted me.

20210307_021655.jpg
    20210307_021815.jpg
    20210307_021825.jpg
    20210307_021910.jpg
    20210307_021924.jpg
    20210307_024430.jpg
    20210307_024539.jpg
    20210307_024637.jpg
    20210307_025040.jpg
    20210307_025312.jpg
    20210307_024653.jpg
    20210307_024904.jpg

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

18. Shin-Deshojo

Thank you D,
    I have no idea atm but it will probably be a shohin when he will have thickened enough as I am slowly loosing interest for normal sized bonsais (chuchin).

19. Acerholic

Going to be an interesting one to watch over the coming years. A great little tree to cheer people up.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  20. Shin-Deshojo

His brother(3 years old cutting too) is next to him in the last picture so assuming the new one is also a kotohime ( I mix my cuttings and don't label them) you can see the growth difference after 3 years, eventhough each tree is different in therm of vigor and growth.

21. Acerholic

I think they are going to look really good in a display together I. Big and little brother Kotohime. Like all the himes, they are just so cute.

22. Luke’s Maples

Hi all.

Now all my remaining trees have been moved to my new home and garden, I decided to give them a little spring clean. God I missed them so much.

the conditions in their new home are so much better than the old. Lots of wind protection, lots of areas of shade etc.. I have a feeling they are going to like it here ;-)

Luke

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Good evening Luke, now thats a really happy message on the forum to cheer everyone up. Now to look forward to the new leaves. It's going to be a good year !!

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  24. vbx

vbx Active Member

Getting 2 different colors from this Maple. Unless the young leaves starts off as Green then turns a darker shade of brownish red.

Top is sprouting green. Bottom half is reddish.

Attached Files:

Shin-Deshojo and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Good morning A, that is quite strange, but as you say the new leaves may turn the same colour. But I suggest you monitor it and if possible post more photos in a few days. What variety is it?