Acer palmatum 'Radiant'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by maplesandpaws, Mar 19, 2015.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

A new introduction from Garden Design Nursery in Georgia.

http://www.gardendesignnursery.com/acer_palmatum_radiant.html

The pictures of the bark on this cultivar do not do it justice, it is so much more beautiful in person. So far the leaves are only just starting to open; I'll post more pictures as things progress. This may be in my top 10 list...

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

And a little more...

Attached Files:

3. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

Beautiful tree, Andrea. Thank you for sharing.

4. maplesandpaws

I love this tree more and more each day. It's got the whole package, beautiful bark and awesome leaves, the subtle dusting of the various colors on both can't truly be appreciated except in person.

Attached Files:

5. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Cosmos' aka 'Radiant' had great bark. It has been under evaluation in my garden for a few years in zone 7B. Check out the bark after the first year outside for the winter. Maybe released a little too soon.

Attached Files:

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very nice cultivar!

7. NJACER

That nice colored bark turned black and my largest plant died the first year not in a cold frame.

8. maplesandpaws

Ed, is your cultivar from David Freed at Garden Design Nursery in Georgia? Just wanting to confirm due to the difference in names. How cold, and how long were your cold snaps, this winter?

9. NJACER

Yes my plants are from Garden Design Nursery. This plant was found and being evaluated as Acer palmatum 'Cosmos' and belongs to someone other than Garden Design Nursery. It was promoted at trade shows by Garden Design Nursery as Acer palmatum Cosmos. Then this year Garden Design Nursery decided to introduce the same plant under the name Radiant.

Radiant is nothing other than a rip off of another plant that was being evaluated for introduction. Many of the people on this forum as well as Facebook have seen A. p. Cosmos in my garden and have heard David talk about it there.

10. maplesandpaws

The back story on this cultivar aside, the leaves and bark are definitely unique and quite lovely.

Attached Files:

11. GAmaples

GAmaples New Member

Hello, Folks! We recently became aware of this posted question, and would like to provide the correct answer. Our introduction, RadiantTM, is a sport of an Acer palmatum Cosmos brought to Garden Design Nursery. Since it is a sport, Legal counsel has assured us that I have exclusive rights to RadiantTM.

Regarding cold hardiness, we nursed the RadiantTM we planted through winter temperatures that killed over a dozen Sango kaku.

I will do everything I can to minimize the name confusion. You are always welcome to make an appointment to visit our nursery. We would be more than happy to show you our RadiantTM trees, and its parent tree, Cosmos.

As RadiantTM becomes available from more sources in the near future, my advice is to buy from a reputable nursery. We hope you enjoy this unique and intriguing Japanese maple.

Dave and Heidi

12. Mani

Mani Active Member

Hi Dave and Heidi

I believe I have inadvertently picked one of these plants up at a nursery here in the UK. Is that possible?

13. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

A. P. Radiant through the 2020 seasons in NC, USA. My own personal collection. Showed minimal variegation during the hot summer months, remaining mostly green, then came alive in the Fall

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Beautiful tree, not one available in the UK, unless @Mani knows differently!!? #12 posting refers.

15. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic no, I don't. I posted that when I purchased a tree which I didn't have an identification for. Further questioning here and it turned out to be an Ukigumo!

16. Acerholic

Ahhh at least there is an answer, thanks for clearing that up Mani. Hope all is OK where you are? The wind is picking up down here in Hampshire now. 50mph is on the way this evening apparently.

17. NJACER

You may want to reach out to Dick van der Maat as I believe he has this plant in The Netherlands.

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

That's a good tip, thankyou.

19. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic All good, thanks. It's damp and a little blowy here. Higher winds expected late tonight!!

20. Acerholic

At least our trees are not in leaf, so no damage hopefully.

Mani likes this.
  21. Acerholic

9th June 2021 and a little Radiant arrived as a gift from my son as an early Father's day present.
    Radiant 257.JPG

22. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

What a nice Father’s Day gift. A special tree for your collection. Love mine. Happy early Father’s Day!

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Thanks Ultraman and a happy one to you also. Your photos made me hint rather a lot btw. It's better than socks, lol.

24. Acerholic

26th June 2021 and near perfect conditions for my Radiant now, so a photo before the heat arrives.
    Radiant 279.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  25. Japanese Maple addict

Japanese Maple addict New Member

Iv heard the stories about this cultivar and Cosmos, on how one says its a sport and anouther saying its the same just with the changed name. So after observing multiple of both from couple different vendors, i say they are the same cultivar. There is not a difference in density, color, Growth habit nor growth rate.

maf and Acerholic like this.