Can a cherry blossom tree survive in a pot?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Ned, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Ned

Ned Member

In April 2016, we bought 2 varieties of cherry blossom trees: Ojochin and Itokukuri from the BCIT cherry tree sale. From April 2016 to April 2017, the Ojochin has grown well I thought (please see attached photo: ojochin 2017apr) but there was no flowers blooming yet. Both cherry trees were moved to a slightly bigger pot and is situated in our balcony (please see photo: cherry 2017jun).
    This year, April 2018, we noticed on our Ojochin that some of her buds were so fat. Then we were so happy that flower buds came out (please see attached: ojochin 2018 photos). We can't wait to see her bloom.
    So our question is that... will these types of trees survive in our balcony in the pot for many years to come? And then what type of fertilizers would be good for them? We plan to just trim some branches if they grow too long and big in the balcony.
    Your expert advise is much appreciated.
    (photo attached when we first got them at BCIT: cherry 2016apr).
    Currently, we do not know if the buds of our Ito-kukuri will create flowers this year yet.
    Thanks,
    Ned

Attached Files:

2. newbie2021

newbie2021 New Member

Hi. How is your cherry blossom tree doing?

I am also curious if you can grow a cherry blossom tree in a pot.

3. Ned

Ned Member

Both are still alive and blooming in our balcony! see 2020 photos attached. We upgraded their pots to 14 inches. This is the max we can do for our space. I still have to research if we should fertilize them this year. I have no idea. Cherry 1 is Ojochin. Cherry 2 is itokukuri. Thanks for asking. Do u have one in a pot?

Attached Files:

4. Ned

Ned Member

I replied with photos... i think u can but not sure how long hehe..

5. newbie2021

newbie2021 New Member

Good to hear that they are growing! Do you know where I can get more info and also how to buy?

6. Ned

Ned Member

Hi newbie
    I just google for info. And probably u can check garden centers. I saw an ornamental cherry tree (autumnalis) so flowery for 82cad. It's about 6ft tall. Very beautiful!

newbie2021 likes this.