Monukka Grape Vine Source?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by CarmelRose, Feb 20, 2021.

1. CarmelRose

CarmelRose New Member

Doing some web searching I saw an old thread here mentioning Monukka grape vines, someone in Canada was growing them. I can't find any to buy, I'm actually on the East coast of the country, in zone 6a. I'd like to find a plant or some cuttings. If anyone is growing them, please tell me where you got them, the garden centre or grower, so I can get in contact with them.

I've looked into US suppliers, they are easy to find for this grape there, and I may be ordering a bunch next year--now they seem to be sold out, at least the growers who supply phyto certificates.

Hope someone can point me to a Canadian source of this grape!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. CarmelRose

CarmelRose New Member

Thanks Junglekeeper! I just heard back from Eco-sense, they don't ship, but they did have it. The other two I hope to get information from tomorrow. I appreciate it!

Junglekeeper likes this.
  4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
  5. CarmelRose

CarmelRose New Member

@Georgia Strait thanks for the tip! I just looked them up, yes they are still working on grape variety hardiness according to the website. Found the number of the guy in charge of that, left a message. Maybe he can tell me more.

6. CarmelRose

CarmelRose New Member

7. Georgia Strait

Hère is a Nova Scotia connection to decent vinifera (vs old style « church wine » labrusca) grapes from a well-respected man in the Okanagan BC and most recently of the Niagara region Ontario

It would be interesting to contact the Wolfville vineyard in this article linked below
    Remembering Ontario's Lloyd Schmidt: one of Canada’s great wine innovators

I often use wine grapes for juice (no alcohol) and jelly preserves as nobody really has easy access to the labruscas here in Okanagan for various reasons

One thing to ask the research station in Kentville is about diseases and inspections — there have been in the past few decades ago (historic) infestations of I think a root fungal disease in Okanagan grapes - and I think the infestation came fr imported stock fr France and perhaps Calif

All of the above needs to be verified by you - however it is a consideration if you wish to be low key sustainable on your water and chemical use in your garden.

ÉDIT - i am mixed up about various diseases - however I do know that the regional district (like a county local area) restricts what we can grow in terms of fruit trees and vines on a home garden in Okanagan (RDOS) due to the value $ of the industry in the valley - so be sure to check out what you can plant without incurring chemical sprays etc

Here is the disease I was trying to think of
    https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/268178363.pdf

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  8. CarmelRose

CarmelRose New Member

@Georgia Strait I checked out that article. Lightfoot Vineyard in Wolfville is one of the bright lights in the wine scene here! Schmidt sounds like he left quite a legacy. I contacted the Kentville station, and received a return message, he said he didn't know a lot about table grapes, but we will have a chat about them when I can get him in the office!

Meantime, @Junglekeeper, a way worked out for me to get three Monukka vines from Eco-sense! I had also contacted Edible Landscaping, and they are quite close by, they don't sell stock, but she said she could help--she is going there is going to visit Eco-sense and put them in the mail for me! Happily they are still in dormant state, and should arrive by Xpresspost by end of next week! Thank-you for the recommendation :)

9. CarmelRose

CarmelRose New Member

I have also found some table grape varieties from Ontario and Quebec vineyards. So I will have a selection of maybe 10 varieties to start my trials here, and see how they do in my micro-climate. I'm excited about the coming season and now am researching cultivation of grapevines. I've got a good site picked out.

10. Georgia Strait

That’s great news — and DANIEL M - do you know the names of the old abandoned grapes next to Indigenous and also the Mayan garden at UBC Vancouver site?

I wonder what that planting was for and when?

It must be something noteworthy considering it’s had minimal care and water for x # years.

EDIT TO ADD - satellite screen image of where those UBC Farm grapes are (were) —- very close to the main building nr the entry gate

I would say - in the row directly below « Farm » word in this image attached.

Attached Files:

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If you want to "page" somebody, type @ and then their user name, which will probably come up for you to double-click. If they (are, let's say, busy and) don't read the thread, typing in upper case won't help for getting their attention.
    So, @Daniel Mosquin, Georgia Strait had a question for you in the previous posting.
    There's a Test Bed if anyone wants to try out paging someone - you may page me if you want.

12. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

That's great! I'm glad it worked out. It may be too late to mention but I wonder if care was taken to protect the plants from cold while in transit. The polar vortex may still be in place in some parts of the country.

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, no, I'm fairly garden-centric when it comes to paying attention to plants on campus (when I'm allowed to be on campus).