Lady slipper orchids

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Nik, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here are a couple at the New York Botanical Garden from few years ago. I have tried to grow them with no success. Now I just try to find them and enjoy them in the wild. In CT we have Cypripedium parviflorum, C. reginae, C. acaule, and C. arietinum. Our neighbors have seen them in the woods around us, I still have not. I am on the lookout every time we go for a walk in late spring.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I have tried to grow them with no success. Now I just try to find them and enjoy them in the wild

Your pictures are of Paphiopedilum orchids of course - if you are going to see these in the wild you are going to have to go to tropical areas.

Nik likes this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

@Ron B , sorry I was not clear. I have tried to grow Paphiopedilum indoors without any luck.
    And I was referring to the local Cypripedium as observing them in the wild. I guess I grouped them too generally in the ‘lady slipper orchid’ category.
    Some of the Cypripedium species are available at local nurseries, but the prices are astronomical. If I were sure they will survive in our yard I will go for them, but I have no confidence.

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

On a related but different note @Ron B , do you know why the ending of the genus names is different: Cypripedium, Paphiopedilum and Phragmipedium? I thought you might have the answer... I hope you have the answer... Any information that clarifies would be deeply appreciated!

5. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Paphiopedilum has a reference to the city of Pathos, favored city of Venus, and so the rough meaning is "Venus' slipper". Cypripedium is for Cyprus (Aphrodite), and is thought to be originally intended to be Cypripedilum (Aphrodite's slipper), but the "l" was dropped either by mistake or error in translation (similar words like sandal in Greek) and they ended up with "Aphrodite's foot" instead. At the time, translation & naming were far more shoot-from-the-hip than it is now. :)

Nik likes this.
  6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Thank you Tom Hulse for the detailed explanation! Now it makes sense to me. Thanks again!