Growing in Victoria BC

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by davidgrayson, Jan 28, 2021.

1. davidgrayson

davidgrayson Member

Couple of large patches of this plant growing near the seaside. Very wet right now, not sure about summer.
    Appears to have fibrous root system. Full exposure.
    Any thoughts? Thanks IMG_2084.JPG

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning David, take a look at Erodiium moschatum, it's in the Geranium family. Common name musk storks-bill. Often found near the sea side.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I have been wondering if this Erodium could be E. cicutarium rather than E. moschatum. With my limited identification skills, I agree it looks more like the latter but E-Flora comments about each made me wonder. Now, I tend to think it is E. moschatum as @Acerholic suggested.

Even though E-Flora says that E. moschatum is “a non-established species not considered part of the BC flora.” E-Flora BC Atlas Page and also that “this species, cited by Eastham (1947) and MacBryde (1977) from Esquimalt, has not been recollected since 1914. IFBC”, it is interesting that it has been identified in many locations (many along the I5) south of the border.

Erodium cicutarium, on the other hand, is very widespread in BC, Washington, Oregon and beyond (there is an interactive map you can look at on E-Flora BC) but unlike E. moschatum, it grows in dry areas as well as moist ones. There are a number of differences between the 2 species which would probably make it pretty easy to tell them apart if you had them side by side.

All in all, I can't help but wonder if this is indeed Erodium moschatum, re-establishing itself where it was found originally in Esquimalt, BC.

[​IMG]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Occasional Papers of the British Columbia Provincial Museum
    No.16
    Flora of the Saanich Peninsula
    ANNOTATED LIST OF VASCULAR PLANTS

Flora of the Saanich Peninsula - PDF Free Download

4. Acerholic

If it has then it is a good find by David.

Margot likes this.
  5. Margot

I agree. I would be interesting to pursue the actual identity of the Erodium @davidgrayson found but it would take someone with the expertise. Perhaps I'll send a note to E-Flora BC to see if any of their scientists might want to look into it.

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmmm! Well if it was rare for the area, pulling it up by the roots doesn't really help!
    Obviously davidgrayson hasn't heard the saying......

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints

7. Acerholic

A very good quote Silver surfer. Something I have followed religiously. I am certain your message has been heard loud and clear by David.

8. Margot

That doesn't apply to invasive weeds such as are both Erodium cicutarium and E. moschatum. All weeds are rare when they first arrive in a new area.

9. Acerholic

I remember a quote saying that 'a weed is any plant in the wrong place'. Can't remember who actually said it, but it was a long time ago. It just came to mind after your post Margot. Funny how things trigger memories....

10. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

My first thought was Poterium...

11. Margot

I can see the similarities. The name Sanguisorba is more commonly used here than Poterium. I don't think OP's picture can be Sanguisorba though because Sanguisorba are still leafless at this time of year . . . leaves begin to grow around the end of March.

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

But if you do pull them out, you might Erode the soil they're in ツ

Margot likes this.
  13. Margot

Well, @Michael F, etymology ain't your long suit - nor mine. Funny though, and that counts for a lot in my world.