Anyone growing Anthurium cutucuense?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bihai, Sep 18, 2020.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I got my first one about 15 years ago from a place in Hawaii. I put it out in my greenhouse where the daytime temps from roughly April 1-October are 90+ in the day and 70-75 at night. It died a real quick death. Fast forward to now when I am a lot more seasoned and a little smarter. (at almost 61 I like to feel like I have gained wisdom with age). I got another one in a trade. Even before it came in the mail I had a terrarium set up just for it. Right under the A/C vent...with a fogger on a timer to fog at intervals 24/7. And a nice big piece of cork bark to climb. I have had it for about a month now and it is doing really well. I have supplemented the tank with some orchids (Bulbophyllum, Lepanthes) a Rhaphidophora pachyclada start, some Solanum 'Ecuador', a start of Rhaphidophora cryptanthus and a cutting of Pothos barbarianus (to start). I will be adding other stuff later, maybe a Racineae crispa 'red form'. Interested in others terrarium (or other) growing experiences with this anthurium

Attached Files:

JeHi Jung likes this.
  2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Wow, nice! I've been wanting to make a case about that size for awhile now. I'd sure love to see a pulled-back photo of the whole thing. Do you have a fan inside? What kind of lighting did you go with?

3. bihai

No fan inside, but I have a small clip on that blows obliquely across the vent that runs in front. It moves enough air to swirl the fog around inside when the fogger is on without blowing it out. I have a full spectrum bulb also shining obliquely so that there is little real direct light hitting the plant. I am able to keep it cool enough to be happy so far. The base is a layer of Aliflor covered with a screen and topped with just moss. I received the plant well rooted in moss, it has always been grown in moss, so I left it in that and just unspotted it and set the whole mass on the floor and kind of smoothed out some of the moss. This is my 6th terrarium set up, I have another for a Philodendron Furcatum that was really struggling in the heat of the greenhouse. Petsmart has some really reasonable cases lately, the one for the cutucuense was $99. Its really a palludarium case but I needed the full height for the plant

4. JeHi Jung

JeHi Jung New Member

Hi Bihai
    I am setting up to receive an established one from a friend and would love to keep in contact to see how yours grows and thrives. There doesn’t seem to be too much info on this species and I am collecting as much info as possible. I know they are cooler loving plants and hoping she will do well with my A. Splendidum, M. Obliqua and V. Adansonii. What temperature, fertilizer and light requirements are you giving yours currently? Looking forward to discussing. j

5. bihai

I have mine in a closed system terrarium case that gets fogged 24/7 with a reptile fogger. It is growing in moss, which stays damp all the time. I open the doors to let air circulate for a while every day. I have mine growing in a sunroom out of direct light. It is rooted to and climbing a cork slab. It has passed 24" in height now. The sunroom has air and heat but I closed off the heat vents this winter to keep it cooler. In summer it is located where the air conditioning blows on the enclosure. If I think its too hot I put ice cubes in my fogger. It is growing with a Pothos barberianus and a Kit Kat eyelash begonia and they all seem happy.

JeHi Jung and Tom Hulse like this.
  6. JeHi Jung

JeHi Jung New Member

Thank you Bahi!

I will post once I get mine into her forever enclosure I am just acclimating her at the moment. I am going to make a special set up for her as I know they are fussy with humidity and temperature. Here she is as she has some crisped tips but new growth.

Attached Files:

Tom Hulse likes this.
  7. bihai

Nice!

JeHi Jung likes this.
  8. JeHi Jung

JeHi Jung New Member

Hi everyone,
    So has anyone experienced sweating from your cutucuense leaf? There are droplets and seems like the red is ‘leaking’ from the leaf and wondering if it’s too warm and too high humidity? When I remove the droplets it leaves green spots on the leaves like the red has leaked from the leaf. I am going to try to move to a cooler place as it is in my cabinet and doesn’t get hotter than 77*F down to about 65*F. Light is medium to bright and air flow is medium. I am afraid the new leaf may combust!
    J

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Look up the word guttation. There is an article at Anthurium - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics that has a paragraph on guttation with the line
    " it seems increasingly clear that guttation fluid plays important role in defense against various bacterial and fungal diseases and that it also elevates disease resistance in plants."

10. bihai

77 may be a little hot, can you get it down closer to 70?

11. JeHi Jung

JeHi Jung New Member

Hello
    Yes I know about guttation but it bleeds the red color leaving behind green spots I think it is too warm.

Hi Bihai

yes I was thinking it may just be too hot and about to melt.

@wcutler and @bihai Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2021