What’s happening to my euphorbia Trigona

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Meghan Oddy, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Meghan Oddy

Meghan Oddy New Member

Hi guys!
    I just moved from San Francisco to Colorado Springs. I brought my euphorbia trigona with me & it is not doing well.

some of its arms are looping over & squishy no longer hard. And parts of it are turning a weird white.

it went from a pretty darkish East/west window to now a south west window. I have watered it twice in the past month. Once when I got here because the drive dried it out & once more about two weeks later because it’s in a bright spot now & seemed to have dried out.

I really appreciate any help in salvaging her! Should I cut the pieces off that seemed to have rot (if that’s even rot)

Attached Files:

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Is it possible that it was exposed to low temperature when you moved? It looks like cold damage.
    Another possibility is sunburn/heat damage, but the pattern is not what I would expect (but I am a cactus person, my experience with Euphorbia is very limited).
    I don't think it is rot, but the dark, dry bits should be removed, they will not recover. That will also give an opportunity to see if the stems actually are infected.

3. Meghan Oddy

Meghan Oddy New Member

Yes it was in a truck bed that was covered but nonetheless was cold for a 20 hour drive! Any recommendations for cold damage?!

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Several of my cacti have been damaged by cold, but most of them have survived. Casualties have been caused by rot in either the roots or epidermis, and I think you should take a closer look at the worst damaged parts, as mentioned before. Apart from that there is not much you can do except cutting off bits that look bad.