Ill Ponytail Palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mon, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Mon

Mon Member

Hello everybody,

3 years ago I bought that little, miserable Ponytail Palm and it has been with me since, quite happily. Only recently something started to happen with it, I suspect I may have overwatered it. The leaves started to go brown at their ends and kept falling off, just under the slightest touch. The little buddy looks so miserable now, there are still leaves left, some of then still green, but they are collapsing miserably. As the old soil wouldn't dry out I have exchanged it for a new one and now, after 5 days break, I have watered the plant from the bottom. Is there anything I can do? Is it possible to rescue it somehow? I would be greatful for any advise.

Thanks

Mon

2. James Oborne

James Oborne New Member

Hi Mon,
    Did you find a solution? I am having the same problem

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

4. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Hi James. Ponytail palms really need lots & lots of full sun. You can not give it too much indoors in our area. In the winter with low light and cooler temps it really amplifies any overwatering issues, so try to get it lots more. It would be nice to see photos of what you have going on to recommend whether you should repot now or wait.

5. James Oborne

James Oborne New Member

Hi @wcutler
    Please see my photos. I’ve had the plant now for almost three years. I rescued it from an atrium in a building that was being demolished. It is now in a spot that has the least light in its time with me. We are moving this weekend though and I will put it in a south facing window. How important is heat for the plant. If the room is cold and sunny is that ok?
    Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

6. Tom Hulse

For an established, healthy plant in the ground, they can tolerate down to light frosts; but for a sickly, indoors, over-watered plant that is just about to die, you probably do need temps that you yourself are comfortable in to save this one. The cooler temps do make the overwatering/under-lighting problem just a little worse.

7. James Oborne

James Oborne New Member

Thanks Tom. Do you think it will make it? I reported today in dry soil.

8. Tom Hulse

I dunno, James. It's close. I think it may depend on how much warmth & sun you can get it.