Ground Cover or Weed?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by DoJo, Apr 17, 2006.

1. DoJo

DoJo Member

Hello,

I live in Barrie, Ontario and we're just getting to our spring gardening.
    I have an area covered with a plant and I’m not sure if it’s a weed or some form of ground cover.
    It seems quite invasive and I’m wondering if it’s a keeper or if I should be digging it up.

I have attached a picture of this plant – no visible flowers on it (yet).

If anyone can identify this plant for me and help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

looks like a Viola

3. DoJo

DoJo Member

Interesting...

Is Viola a nice ground cover or a weed?

DoJo.

4. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

Looks like Ajuga. Here's a pic of mine flowering right now.

Attached Files:

5. Tennyo

Tennyo Member

I agree Ajuga, it is sold frequently as groundcover because it spreads freely. It's cousin "Creeping Charley" is obnoxious in the northern US, invading lawns and such. One mans plant is another's weed. If you like it keep it...if you don't be thorough about its removal.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Definitely a Viola.

7. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Yes, a viola. Could be a planted variety, could be a weed (wildflower). Hard to say without flowers. Wait a bit and you'll know more. BTW, many wildflowers and naturally ocurring plants that crop up in your garden aren't necessarily weeds and it's up to you to decide if it's worth keeping or not. See how it behaves.

8. Rima

Rima Active Member

I think that could be ajuga, bugle weed, that gets beautiful little bluey-purple flowers, especially if it's not in full sun. Wait a few wks and see before doing anything drastic. Yes, it spreads, but that's what ground covers do. I planted it in our side yard in Toronto years ago where nothing would grow on the scrubby bare parts because it was dark, and it was beautiful.

9. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Most common Viola around here is V. adunca and is hard to eradicate from grass, save by hand weeding. If so will have blue flowers with a spur about the same length as the petals. Harry

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

And just to add - Viola is commonly known as violets.

11. Weedbender

Dojo, don't forget to post a pic when it blooms

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Carpet bugle does not have that leaf shape, with the base of the leaf wrapping back around, above the slender stalk with parallel sides. The tapering bases of its leaves sort of flow into the leaf stalk, without such a clear demarcation between the leaf blade and the leaf stalk.

The common reseeding Viola in gardens here with the pansylike foliage of your specimen is V. tricolor. The main pest species here is a rose-colored, greenleaf form of V. riviniana. It pops up in lawns, cracks in paving and so on. However, this is a violet in the familiar sense, with heart-shaped leaves--not what you have shown.

Sometimes nurseries offer V. riviniana as the native V. adunca, which really does not look much like it. Frequently the purpleleaf form V. riviniana 'Purpurea' (V. labradorica hort.) is stocked, in fact it seems to have become a standard item. It also reseeds.

13. Weedbender

Still wanna see the pic

14. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Went out in the rain to get pic of weed variety V. riviniana which it is not! -- leaves too diferent so have to go with Ron = V. tricolor here ... but flower would resolve any questions.

Attached Files: