Request for Mosses and Ferns forums

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Nik, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

I think there should be a separate forum for mosses and ferns, or two, one mosses, one ferns.
    I hope the forum administrators see this post.

[note from wcutler: this was originally part of a posting about a specific moss - that part is still where it was originally posted and has been removed from this posting and the following postings]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2020
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I agree N, there are so many to look at and a separate forum might be the way forward. I did post mine in the fungi and lichen forum but Daniel moved it here as it did not fit into that section.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2020
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

D, I remembered your post, but I had very hard time finding it... Daniel moving it explains my troubles.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I see it, and I agree on having a separate forum for each, which, when there are several postings, will make it easier to compare them, but I can't set them up. @Daniel Mosquin would have to do it.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I agree; I know I'd enjoy either one or two forums but since ferns and mosses are so often found growing together, I think one would be enough.

6. wcutler

My vote is for separate forums, to make it easier to compare plants within the forum.

Nik likes this.
  7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Separate forums for me too - ferns are more closely related to seed plants than they are to mosses. The ferns one could reasonably include horsetails and clubmosses, though.

Nik likes this.
  8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Let's start with one and see if it has the traffic to sustain two. There are thread prefixes for Ferns and Mosses available here--if they are used, it makes it very easy to later split into two forums: Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)

Nik and Margot like this.
  9. Margot

Thank you very much, Daniel. I, for one, will really enjoy - and learn - from this new forum.

Will it be possible to move the recent posts about mosses in particular to this?

10. wcutler

I will move all recent ones. I would do a search and move all I can find, but I'm a little concerned about that. I don't think it should be a problem to move whole threads. Any postings within some other thread could cause a problem with links to subsequent postings left behind, but I probably do more of those than anyone, so would deal with my own consequences. I'm just asking to give someone (Daniel) the chance to tell me not to do that.

11. wcutler

This was probably a good idea to put these in one forum. I'm looking at Looking for an id for this Pretty ground cover | UBC Botanical Garden Forums, where the comment was made:
    " these are clubmoss, not a species of moss. They are more closely related to ferns than to mosses...".
    Daniel has saved me some hairs on that one.

I always have a problem where there are overlaps - a sword fern posted in Pac NW Native Plants (I moved that one). A rabbit's foot fern that's an indoor plant (I left that in Indoor and Greenhouse Plants). I think in general, I will put threads in the Plants with Spores if that fits, except maybe for Indoor Plants where the question is more about the specific conditions, but I can't see myself being consistent. Oh, UBCBG plants will stay in that forum.

If I have posted ferns in one of those How's it Growing long threads, I will probably move them to the the forum. Or I might have to copy them, depending what comments were made.

12. Margot

I appreciate the challenges you face about what post to put where but have complete confidence that you will decide what is best.

Except for the most recent posts about mosses or ferns, I don't think anyone would expect you to go back and move others. I agree that it can be a challenge to figure out which is the best thread to choose.

13. wcutler

I'm a tidy freak. Or that's one way to put it. I thought I'd moved most of the ferns postings, was surprised that they only went back to 2016, but I've just discovered that I should have queried "fern", not "ferns", so I have a few more to do, will then do moss, and will set up the new Resource file.
    Thanks for your confidence in my decision-making.

14. Margot

"Only!?" These Forums are so fortunate to have someone as knowledgeable and dedicated as you keeping track of everything, not to mention making so many contributions of your own.

15. Acerholic

After Daniel made me a moderator for this forum, I thought I would have some work to do today but Wendy beat me to it. That's what time differences will do Lol.

16. wcutler

Now that I've learned that Horsetails, Equisetum, belong here with the ferns, I wonder if we could have a separate sub-forum for them, as is done with Araucariaceae under Gymnosperms.
    If not that, then at least a prefix, but I think it would also be useful for people looking up how to get rid of their horsetails to find all the threads in one place.

17. Acerholic

I was thinking about moving Horsetail threads over as they are so closely related to ferns. At this time a sub forum may not be found by new members etc.

18. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Too many smaller groups that probably don't justify a subforum given the number of previous threads (few): liverworts, hornworts, horsetails (perhaps the exception to few), clubmosses, quillworts, spikemosses, etc. Fortunately, the _absence_ of a prefix should suggest it is one of these, instead of a moss or fern.

19. Acerholic

If all agreed I will start moving Horsetail threads to the new forum after Daniels posting stating that no sub forum is required..

20. wcutler

It's fine with me.