Hazelnut Tree Varieties

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sleepdeficit2, Jan 10, 2021.

1. sleepdeficit2

sleepdeficit2 Member

Happy New Year everyone,

we have 2 American Hazelnut trees that are mature and quite large (8 m tall and 8 m wide) we get very few hazelnuts from them. We estimate them to be 40ish years old. I’m wondering if they are both the same cultivar and that is why we are getting so few nuts.
    I’ve read that you should have 2 different cultivars in order to get a decent harvest.
    So here are my questions,
    1. Will having 2 different cultivars give us a better harvest?
    2. How can we determine which cultivars we have? Is there a place where you can send tissue samples away for testing?

thanks everyone!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Happy New Year to you too!

Can you be sure that your Hazelnut trees are American Hazelnuts (Corylus americana) and not our native ones (Corylus avellana)?
    Regardless, I think this would apply:
    "If a hazelnut tree is older than five years and has yet to produce nuts, the tree is likely missing its mate. Hazelnut trees require cross pollination from a different hazelnut cultivar to produce a nut crop. You must grow two hazelnut trees with strong genetic differences, one as a pollinator and the other as a producer to get a nut crop. These trees need to be within about 65 feet of each other for cross pollination to take place.
    How Long Does It Take a Hazelnut Tree to Produce Nuts? "

There are 2 commercial hazelnut 'farms' near where I live that I could put you in touch with if you think it may be useful to talk to them.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The native species is C. cornuta var. californica.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the correction - I had double-checked with E-Flora BC but somehow typed the wrong name anyway.