Invasive burweed treatment with propane torch Victoria bc

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Georgia Strait, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

What people will do to remove weeds !!! Only a surface treatment though. The deep roots of other native plants remain unaffected. I believe that's the answer to your question Georgia.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, camas bulbs are deep. Something like the meadowfoam, though, I can't imagine being too deep-rooted (perhaps I'm wrong). But it looks like the fire treatment occurs during the offseason so as not to interfere.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

This is a thread I meant to comment on over a month ago, only to say that in my limited experience living in an area where hundreds of camas grow, I do not think burweed would prevent established bulbs from coming up. Where I do think the weed could be a problem is in preventing seedlings from growing and thriving. The torch treatment, labour-intensive as it may be, would not harm deep-seated bulbs at this time of year and may provide an opportunity for young camas to live. It would be interesting to hear the rationale of those behind the Cattle Point initiative.