British Columbia: Spring Swap - Greater Vancouver Area

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by heather2, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Magua

Magua Member

KarinL, I just noticed you didn't mention which erythroniums you wanted, the oregonum, or the sibiricum. I can give you one of each if you want. And remember that they are not transplantable yet. I have them in 4" plastic pots at the moment, so keep them there for another couple of years, then transplant them when they are dormant. The picture of the sibiricum I've seen is very lovely.

2. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

WCG: I'll have the choc mint & sedum ready for you. Thx.

GF: I'd be interested in your pulmonaria, if you have extra.

3. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

Cecilia-ok for cyclamen, could I have dahlia wildwood marie?

4. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

Cecelia: I'll bring you a clump 'o hosta - would love some dahlia wildwood marie.

lily: I'll bring some pulmonaria for you.

Karen

5. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

BC Gift, I have both types of succulents; you can pick and choose whatever you like.
    Heather2, won't be needing your hosta now, thanks
    Thanks Barvinok and Karen - I think I see the eyes sprouting now on the maries.

6. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Found some more:

Light pink columbine (a bonnet type - pink for sure)
    Sir Galahad Delphinium (white)
    Johnson Blue type geranium (I think it is Lady Blue or something llike that - not as tall as Johnson)
    Forget-me-knots
    White Pulsatillia (pasque flower)
    Lilac - pale pinky purple
    Aronia melanocarpa - 2 year old seedling (black chokecherry)
    Maltese cross
    yellow foxglove
    Hosta - Ginko Craig
    Hosta - Shade Fanfare
    knautia macedonia - very small, started from seed last year
    violet - pink
    tall garden phlox - bright fuschia pink or white
    white columbine - I think these are white, could be purple.
    very tiny semps babies - cobweb type - red or green (houseleeks)
    Itty bitty "Irish Eyes" viola (very itty bitty)

Cecilia - I am interested in your ruffled african violets.

7. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

WCG: I'm interested in your delphinium please. Are you still interested in the spotted leave geranium I had promised you last fall? And is this the wrong time to divide iris? I've got the yellow/burgundy one for your white one.

Just curious, does anyone know what this flower might be... it's blooming right now, yellow daisy like and it's about 18" tall.

8. Magua

Magua Member

BCG, good news! I have two Dierama trichorrhizum seedlings just germinated (so don't expect to see leaves yet)! They are yours if you still want them.

WCG: OOh, can I have a white pulsatilla? Is the viola a hybrid or a species? If it's a species one, may I have one? :)

Also, new seedlings: Dieramas: Adelphicum, Argyreum, Dissimile, Dracomontanum, Jucundum, Latifolium, Luteoalbidum, Pucherrimum, and "Spring Dancer" (an unidentified early-Spring-flowering species, from Plant World). I have ten more species I'm waiting to germinate. ;) I also have Loasa triphylla var. volcanica. All just germinated, so they are still wee seedlings at the moment.

9. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Cecelia: A hardy one will do, thanks.

Helen: your yellow daisy could be Leopard's Bane (Doronicum).

Magua: Yes I do still want the trichorrhizum. You can add jacundum, latifolium, and dissimile to the list if you have enough. And what on earth is a Loasa ....

10. Magua

Magua Member

BCG: Okay. I do have enough of those. Loasa is a prickly Andean plant, usually listed as an annual, because it's usually tender here (I think it's borderline hardy here), but is actually a tender perennial. It has pretty unusual-looking flowers, and is related to mentzelia. I got the seeds from UBC. By the way, I may have goofed on the Conodopsis ovata and accidentally dumped the ones I transplanted. Stay tuned. Sigh.

11. tiger_lily

My friend LilyY just cut back her orange-flowered rose bush, I will be bringing cuttings (approx 8). Also, a yellow-flowered climbing rose (more than a dozen cuttings). And finally, a lacecap hydrangea with a ring of blue flowers surrounding the white center (more than a dozen cuttings). All were cut today, I'll try to keep them fresh in water until the trade.

Lily Y would love a cutting (rooted if possible) of a snowball bush (Viburnum opulus) - the one with big fist-sized snowballs. Also, a red-flowering current. Thx.

12. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

WCG- may I have White Pulsatillia if still left. Have small division of Brunera "Jack Frost" if you interested.

Lily-I'm interested in yellow rose cutting. Is red flowering currant the common one with pinkish-red flowers? If so I can cut some on Friday. They should be easy to root.

13. tiger_lily

Barvinok - Great, I'll let you choose the rose cutting. Yes, the common pinkish flowered currant. She's also interested in red currant (red berries) bushes also. Thx.

14. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

WCG, you've got some ruffled pink african violet coming your way.

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Just thought I'd let you know that the Environmental Youth Alliance is having a swap on the same day. Might be worthwhile for some folks to consider going to this one in addition to the one in North Van:

16. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Daniel, thank you for the information. Most of us make it a very long day, doing the
    rounds of the nurseries in the vicinity and we love haunting 'seedy places' so some of
    us will make our way there.

17. Magua

Magua Member

Alas, I won't get off work until 3:00. Sigh. Anyway, I just want to let everyone know that I will be there late, probably 4-ish. If I owe plants to some people that can't stay that late, I can drop them off earlier in the week there or at some meeting place, or after the trade. Hope that's okay with everyone.

Also, I have some more additions to the dierama list: igneum, mossii, pallidum, reynoldsii, and robustum. Plus: Astragalus purshii var. tinctus (a couple).

18. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Magua, I'd love one of each Erythronium. I am quite happy to leave them in peace for a few years.

BCG, I don't remember Tania's GW name; that was my problem.

I keep finding more stuff that I can offer for trade, like WCG, and while I might be able to list some of it I just thought I'd mention that I will be bringing things to swap on the spot - assume others will be doing this too as usual?

19. heather2

heather2 Member

Yes, just bring things to the swap - I haven't been posting too many trades here, but I know there will be lots of things I'll have anyway. Also, I know that a few people from Garden Web have expressed interest, and I have sent them my address, so they might be showing up with things to trade as well. The weather is supposed to be sunny on Saturday.......

20. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

Hey everyone:

Just want to let you guys know that Cec and I will be late. We should be there after 1:30pm.

Thanks!

helen

21. westcoastgarden

I see a bunch of new posts but am too tired to read them carefully tonight - apologies if I don't respond to something asked of me. I'll have to read everything carefully tomorrow to make sure I have all trades recorded.

Magus - the viola is a named one so probably a hybrid "Irish Eyes". Its yellow and greeny brown http://www.britishseed.com/Seed/Seed250/Flower250Logo/V/Viola/ViolaIrishEyes.jpg. I also have a pink violet but have no idea if it is a species.

I have two white pulsatillia - will bring one for barinvok and magus. Yes to "Jack Frost" - thanks.

Helen - I will bring white iris and delphinium and will be happy to take red/yellow iris and spotty leafed geranium.

I have a rooted black currant if anyone wants it.

No takers for the red currant tomatoes? - they supposedly work well in hanging baskets.

Hey JJ - my impatiens are flowering!! Very pretty.

Oh - and I expect I will get to the swap around noon. Have to drop kids off at 11am.

22. Magua

Magua Member

By the way, I also just got some freshly germinated (ie. tiny) digitalis parviflora and lutea seedlings, as well as a two-pack of seedlings of D. obscura, if anyone wants a few.

WCG: Oh, well. Not that I don't like hybrid violas, but my patio garden space is getting very tight, and I can use tiny species violas (for filling in a few tiny, blank spaces), but, alas, no space for the big-flowered hybrids. Thanks for pulsatilla, though.

23. Vincent

Vincent Member

O darn, due to transmission problems there will be no plant swapping for me.
    I can drop off any trades discussed with Katherine Wagner of Maple Ridge
    if you are to meet eachother again after the trade date.

24. westcoastgarden

Vincent - and everyone trading with Vincent.

I can pick up Vincents trades tomorrow.

If you want to leave trades here Vincent, I can drop off at Karin and BCGifts place as both are on my way to class every week until the end of June.

They are both more centrally located for others to pick up from.

Katherine

25. Vincent

Vincent Member

Wow great, Im going to have to drop them off sometime next week for your next class then. Thanks.