Merry Christmas!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by monicasanchez, Dec 22, 2020.

1. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    acer palmatum.jpg

Hello everyone.

It has been a complicated year for many, but if there is something good to get out of it, it is this forum. I registered in May I think, and although I participate little from the first moment I felt very well accompanied.

The language for me is a small problem, because although I am more or less good at translating it without help, when writing I need the Google translator.

I love the English language, and I love this forum, so one of my New Year's resolutions is to improve my English.

I take this opportunity to congratulate you on Christmas. Although they will be different days, they will surely be very special.

A hug to all.

PS: The photo is of an Acer palmatum, taken from Pxhere.

LoverOfMaples, Margot, emery and 4 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Monica and a very Happy and Healthy Christmas to you too.
    Yes what a year for so many reasons and as you say the warmth and friendly chat on this forum has been a great help to so many.
    Let's all hope that 2021 is a better year for the world and the forum goes from strength to strength.
    So on that note a Happy New Year to you also.

Margot, emery, Cjart and 1 other person like this.
  3. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Many thanks, @Acerholic .

I'm sure next year will be better.

Happy New Year :)

Cjart likes this.
  4. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

@monicasanchez The best of wishes to you for Christmas and next year!
    I'm sure there will be lots of beauty and things to intrigue us in the world of Japanese Maples in 2021.

Margot, monicasanchez and Cjart like this.
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Lovely sentiments! I'll chime in with my best for the holiday season to all of our forum friends. It's the season of hope, as these dark days begin to get longer and brighter.

This year's Christmas picture is of evergreen maples, A. albopurpurascens in front of A. fabri.

IMG_20201221_131011_v1.jpg

P.S. Ha, I forgot to say what makes these maples so special: They are all 3 gifts from friends and fellow collectors.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Emery, I see that you started an Evergreen Maples thread last year.
    Appreciation: - Evergreen Maples at Christmas | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
    Nobody contributed any other photos. I wonder if they're very rare. I didn't realize there were any, though I see, Emery, that you have mentioned yours a few times, particularly the A. fabri.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    0soyoung likes this.
  7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Wendy, and Happy Hols. I'd forgotten about that thread. I have lost all of the A. oblongum I've ever tried, but some of the other species are doing well. I just bought another A. coriaceifolium, this one a seedling, it will be interesting to see how it does compared with it's grafted cousin. The picture in the other thread titled A. aff oblongum is the A. albopurpurascens in this thread: it was explained that, regardless of some of the characteristics, the Taiwanese provenance automatically qualifies it as the latter.

The great generosity of maple collectors is uplifting, and a is a reason I am always happy to send off spares and seedlings to people. A few years ago I asked around on the forum if anyone knew of a source for A. fabri, a maple I had sought for some time for our collection. Two people (one of whom I hadn't ever even heard of), knowing the rarity but having a few, sent me plants. Human nature can be a bumpy ride, but also surprising and inspiring.

I think you're right, the evergreen maples are quite rare. They're usually tropical or subtropical and can be difficult to grow, But surely there are a few in the UBC BG? I guess Iturraran BG is one of the best places to see these maples in the western world. There are probably good collections in some of the Chinese BGs like Kunming or Shanghai, but I haven't been fortunate enough to visit them (yet).

Best, -E

wcutler likes this.
  8. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Family, Merry Christmas to all and thank you for sharing such good moments throughout this strange year that we have passed, and may the coming year be full of health, success and prosperity for all.
    J. F.

MapleMO, Margot, emery and 1 other person like this.
  9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A very merry Christmas to everyone on the Maples Forum. Hope you all have a safe one. I'm so very glad to have shared this year especially with such wonderful people. 'THANKYOU'.