An invader

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Acerholic, Oct 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

A. platanoides can have pretty wide autumn palette, depending on weather. From nice violet and red to plain yellow or even boring brown.
    Of course, invaders are not welcome, so keep protecting your environment and local species from human induced competitors!

Acerholic likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here's why it's so popular. They're used quite often as street trees in Vancouver.
    Acer-platanoides_CarderoBarclay_Cutler_20201107_153938.jpg

Funnily enough, what's been planted a lot in my neighbourhood are the cultivar A. platanoides 'Princeton Gold' (introduced by the Princeton Nursery in New Jersey - here I'd been thinking it came from Princeton, BC), which I've noticed doesn't seem to be colouring up - see the tree in front in this photo. Now I've read that this is its normal behaviour. So the gold is just its early leaf colour. Then it goes sort of chartreuse.
    Acer-platanoidesPrincetonGold_CarderoBarclay_Cutler_20201107_154011.jpg

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

@wcutler sometimes an invader does not have to be unwelcome, tbh our gardens are full of plants first collected in other countries from seed found by the great plant hunters of the Victorian age.
    Looking at your photo and how it has made for a very cheerful street scene, perhaps the Norway maple can be a welcome visitor !! Well perhaps a little !!!???? Lol.
    I can see why it is so popular there, that is a stunning tree.

5. scilover

scilover Member

Such a cheerful street !

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Couldn't agree more @scilover.