Maples Winter bare bones

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@emery beautiful bare bones E, with some good recommendations. The blue sky is a bonus every time.

2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Gm E. Yes! They advised light fluffy. That was far from the truth.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some more bones, pruning continues when there's a little bit of dry. Ended up having to work all WE but took a couple of hours off outside, with the saw. It was actually a lovely day, unlike today when I have more time, but of course the rain is scudding sideways at 40kph or so. Nice and warm, but pruning in the rain is never a good idea.

This A. sieboldianum is really a beautiful JM, and I've been very hands-off with it, but after suffering greatly this year it needed opening up. I will take off the lower small branches, but not this year. The Betula utilis 'Doorenbos' in background was also pruned this year.
    IMG_20201220_150731_v1.jpg

A couple of views of Acer 'Chitose yama', the favorite of most autumn visitors. I finally raised it this year, couldn't clean up around it any more.
    IMG_20201220_151027_v1.jpg IMG_20201220_151039_v1.jpg

A. japonicum 'Vitifolium' all cleaned up
    IMG_20201220_151110_v1.jpg

A. monspessulanum, a multi-year project. I decided to leave the pleached limb, which was needed for balance.
    IMG_20201220_151225_v1.jpg IMG_20201220_151254_v1.jpg

Finally just a cutting demonstration if anyone cares: a fresh cut at the edge of the branch collar; similar sized cuts after 1, 3 and 5 years.

IMG_20201220_151417_v1.jpg IMG_20201220_151426_v1.jpg IMG_20201220_151508_v1.jpg IMG_20201220_151532_v1.jpg

zfrittz, MapleMO, Margot and 5 others like this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks! Now I know what to call this, on a hornbeam that is in a live hedge :-)

carpinus-b00_201221a.jpg

On a Montpellier maple ? Wow ! Spectacular...
    Compared to other species (like Acer palmatum) it takes a lot of time to heal when potted.

zfrittz, Acerholic, Nik and 2 others like this.
  5. emery

That hornbeam is a beauty!

Normally growing A. palmatum (and section) in the ground actually heals faster than the the Montpelier maple. When they are stressed, not so much: I did some branch pruning on our largest pseudosieboldianum (Korean Maple) last year, it normally heals well, but in the heat and drought of this past summer it has hardly made any lip wood. But pots are a different story for sure, and of course the size of the cuts is different too.

This Montpelier maple was a mess from the nursery, lots of descending whippy growth and a tangled form. As I usually do I left it to establish at first, but have been working on it for the last 5 or 6 years.

AlainK likes this.
  6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It never fails . . . when snow is forecast, it doesn't fall but when it ISN'T forecast, we are surprised - especially before Christmas. With this being the first day of winter and just days until Christmas, it does seem appropriate. Three inches so far with more on the way. It will be our only decoration here this year - perfect.

I love the way an inch or two of snow on all sorts of branches, both leafless and evergreen, highlights their character in such a beautiful and dramatic way.
    1. A. 'Seiryu' top centre
    2. A. 'Osakazuki'
    3. A. 'Bloodgood'
    4. Harry Lauder's Walking Stick (not a maple of course but I couldn't leave it out.)

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, MapleMO and 2 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

Some amazing photos today guys, really wonderful to see over here after some more depressing news. This virus is spreading like wildfire. Wishing I could just hibernate and wake up in the Spring now tbh.

8. AlainK

Oh, how I miss the snow in winter.

I'm not sure, but if I can sell my house in the Loire valley for a decent price, I would like find a place in Ardèche, Savoie or Massif central, a place with real summers and real winters (snow).

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Yes, I think hibernating would be an excellent strategy. The developing Covid situation in Britain is very troubling - being widely covered on news networks in Canada and the US. So far though, experts seem to think the vaccines coming out will protect against such mutations. The main thing to focus on now is to avoid catching it . . . easier said than done for so many.

10. Acerholic

11. emery

Wow, really? That would be a huge change! I love the Ardeche hills, but also the Drome, as you head up the Ouvèze valley in the Baronnies, or the Toulerenc, towards the higher mountains around to the east and north. A spectacular country! But perhaps the summers there will be less broiling than in the Loire or even Normandie, these days.

12. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Unfortunately no snow here but mostly rain. Some bare bones of Jerre schwartz, Mikawa yatsabusa, Shishigashira, Pixie and Kamagata.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Wonderful M, you can see they are going to give you so much pleasure come Spring. Great structure and very healthy.

14. Acerholic

This morning we had what I would say is our first good hard Winter frost. So whilst out in my garden I took this photo of my Phoenix holding onto just one last leaf of 2020. 99% bare bones Lol.
    Phoenix 260.JPG

Nik likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Good afternoon everyone, well the frosts are here in Southern England, so I took these of my Kasagi yama with frozen cobwebs aswell.
    Kasagi yama 271.JPG Kasagi yama 270.JPG

16. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Many of my maples here in Idaho didn't drop their leaves. I think it was because we had a sudden freeze that stopped them in their process some how. I am hoping that there's no damage done. We had a foggy frost several days ago that made some of the leaves very beautiful--think I will have to try to do a watercolor of them IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0817.jpg IMG_0822.jpg IMG_0833.jpg Frosted Japanese Maple (Miwa).jpg . Enjoying the "bare bones" thread.

17. Acerholic

Good evening C and a Very Happy New Year to you. I love those photos, 3 and 5 are amazing. You get 'Four season trees' with Maples.

18. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Yes! That's one of the great things about Maples.

19. Acerholic

Such a hard frost this morning and my Mr Sun was holding onto the white stuff all over the buds. But this is not to be worried about as it is fast asleep.
    Mr Sun 271.JPG

Nik, dangerine49 and AlainK like this.
  20. emery

A few more bones, but now too late for pruning JMs or Snakebarks, which have started to bleed like crazy. I didn't get finished, but then I rarely do! I still have a couple of field maples which I will get to, and up the ladder for a large Hydrangea petiolaris, like Wisteria (done) pretty but high maintenance.

Here is 'Pink Filigree' an example of a Solitaire graft:

IMG_20210109_134822_v1.jpg IMG_20210109_134842_v1.jpg IMG_20210109_134925_v1.jpg

Just before New Year we had a rare bit of snow, good for admiring maple bones:

IMG_20201228_134721_v1.jpg IMG_20201228_134852_v1.jpg IMG_20201228_134907_v1.jpg IMG_20201228_135156_v1.jpg
    A. triflorum (center), A palmatum selection, A. pseudoplatanus 'Prince Camille de Rohan' with an elegant habit, A. griseum.

cheers,- E

Nik, AlainK, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  21. Nik

Nik Contributor

I like the transition of color between twigs and main branches on my Sensu. Also the ‘hairy’ buds which are nicely colored.

Attached Files:

Margot, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  22. AlainK

Very nice jewels... ;-)

23. Acerholic

An often overlooked cultivar and I really don't know why, especially after seeing your wonderful photos N.

24. Acerholic

You said it perfectly E. Unfortunately I do not have snow here as yet to consider posting any of mine. All very drab weather atm.

25. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Just got a lens attachment set for my cell phone. Took a few test shots this morning with the fisheye and macro, but it was very cold and windy. Have to work on the focus with these lenses. All my maples are bare except for the Garnet for some reason. The leaves just refuse to drop.

Attached Files:

Cjart, Margot, Nik and 2 others like this.