Appreciation: A world of cherry blossoms

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Acerholic, May 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have started this thread at the suggestion of @wcutler.
    If anybody in England is on this forum with Cherry tree Spring photos then please add.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edited by wcutler: if the Maples people can post photos in a single thread from all around the world, I think the Cherry fans can too, and some have started to do that, in a thread that I want to keep on its original track, so I have renamed this thread that @Acerholic called Cherry trees of England, and I am inviting anyone who is living outside the area covered by the VCBF (Vancouver and the lower mainland) or Victoria or Japan, which have their own threads, to show off your cherry trees here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to add photos of these beautiful trees next Spring, but will start with two now that I have already posted. Mount Fuji and Amanogawa.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2021
    AlainK likes this.
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I suggest including close up view so details of flowers can be seen

AlainK likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Will do Ron, thanks for the advice. My wife and I are recently retired so have the time next Spring to search and photograph the Cherries here in England. Hope we can do the thread proud.

4. Acerholic

This photo is of new fruit forming on a Prunus Avium (Mazzard Cherry) growing wild very close to me this morning. The Blackbirds are going to love these.

D

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Found this Prunus subhirtella Winter flowering cherry this morning whilst out walking. Such a pretty sight on a very cloudy dank day in England. It's not all about Spring blossom!!!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  6. scilover

scilover Member

wow, the flower is beautiful. it makes you feel like a japan vibe around it.

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Good morning, yes I agree, but more importantly it started flowering in November when everything else around it is dropping leaves. Very cheerful!!!

AlainK likes this.
  8. Acerholic

So exciting, our local council is planting new Cherries all around where I live as I type this. Can't wait to see and post photos in the Spring.

wcutler likes this.
  9. Acerholic

22nd March 2021 and the Cherries are now starting their show. This one I wake up to every morning when I open the curtains. Prunus serrulata. Puts a smile on my face immediately, so not a bad way to start the day.
    Prunus serrulata 707.JPG Prunus serrulata 708.JPG Prunus serrulata 709.JPG

Edit, after information from Ron, I will leave this as a cherry that is unknown at this time, but still enjoy it every Spring. Hope the photos are enjoyed also.
    Edit 2 .. After a very good suggestion from @wcutler I am now proposing that this is Prunus Pandora.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    AlainK likes this.
  10. Ron B

Maybe something like a x yedoensis seedling but definitely not a serrulata type.

AlainK likes this.
  11. Acerholic

That's interesting as it was on the local plans as a serrulata. I will investigate further.

12. Ron B

Prunus serrulata Lindl. is actually a double white garden cherry despite the lingering antique botanical naming (in the past all plants whether horticultural forms or not were given species style names using botanical Latin).

Prunus serrulata - Trees and Shrubs Online

13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Flowering Prunus/cherry trees are ubiquitous here. I went for a walk last weekend to a nature park I hadn't visited before, about 20 km from where I live, and there was pink everywhere. Not only Prunus, but Magnolias too.

There's an Ilex conservatory there too, but it will only open in May. I've already been there, they also have quite a few "Japanese maples", so more photos to come in a few weeks' time...

14. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I wonder about Prunus 'Pandora' for this. I see that they are available in the UK. Well, our Ornamental Cherries in Vancouver handbook (Douglas Justice, Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival, 2014, p. 26) says they were developed in England in 1939 as a cross between P. subhirtella and P. yedoensis. I'm going by the tree shape and the narrow petals. And the blooming time.

15. Acerholic

Wow Wendy, I think you have got it, I've checked the local plans as it was planted by the council in 1970 and although it says serrulata it was purchased from Hilliers ( our local nursery) who sell the Pandora as a good small road side tree with 5 single lobed flowers which this is.

I will edit my posting to say that this is a very strong possibility

Thankyou

16. Acerholic

Out for a different walk this morning to search for more Cherries when we came across this Prunus pandora. Not a nice backdrop, but the tree deserved a photo and mention.
    IMG_20210328_110836668.jpg IMG_20210328_110856583.jpg IMG_20210328_111050383.jpg IMG_20210328_110925660.jpg

17. AlainK

A few days ago, on the TV news, there were pictures from Japan of people taking selfies in parks on "Sakura day"...

18. Acerholic

Lots on YouTube atm, it is amazing to see after the last year of nobody out there ..... Really enjoying watching their Cherries.

AlainK likes this.
  19. AlainK

"Sakura day" in my garden : cherry-tree 'Napoleon'. Nice contrast with a Japanese quince that still has many flowers. If it doesn't freeze, I should have a few quince, and kilos of cherries :

prunus-napo_210330a.jpg prunus-napo_210330b.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Beautiful Alain, what a magical contrast..

21. AlainK

I like details like this small shoot flowering on the trunk :

prunus-pissard_210331a.jpg

22. Acerholic

Several of these were planted in my road in September 2020 and now the blossom has arrived, 'on one at least'. Prunus avium.
    IMG_20210331_134302314_HDR.jpg IMG_20210331_134256874.jpg IMG_20210331_134243656_HDR.jpg IMG_20210331_134251318.jpg

Even has the bees arriving already, so that's double the good news.

23. wcutler

Hmm. That doesn't say 'avium' to me. Let's see a good shot of the flowers, front and back, on a sunny day.

24. Ron B

It's one like 'Snow Goose' or 'Umineko'.

25. wcutler

Good, thanks, that's what I was thinking.
    There is no way to tell just by looking at it which of the two it is. My rule used to be that it's 'Snow Goose' unless it's an old tree, but then @Douglas Justice went and planted an ungrafted 'Umineko' among the new Peter Wharton Cherry Grove plantings at UBCBG. So now I have to add that if it's not old and it's grafted, it's 'Snow Goose'. These all seem to be low-grafted.