Autumn colors 2020 - Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I couldn't believe my friends Fireglow this morning, 22nd November and still giving so much colour. This cultivar is up there with the best IMO. Amazing red all Summer and now this.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Good afternoon everyone, well the pickings are getting rather slim now, but even the last throws of Autumn give out some colour.

Attached Files:

emery, LoverOfMaples, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes the sine curve is flattening, this static period of short days. Hoping that the EU will decide to ditch these winter hours, I think it was on the agenda for this year but got pushed off, like everything else.

Here is some color still on a strange hybrid of (probably A. palmatum x ) A. tutcheri.

IMG_20201119_150139_v1.jpg IMG_20201119_150216_v1.jpg IMG_20201119_150232_v1.jpg

And some buds thinking about winter

IMG_20201114_105240_v1.jpg

zfrittz, Margot, Nik and 5 others like this.
  4. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

0 degre in the end of the night but no freeze.
    -Acer ‘kamagata' coming always in end of november is red , as i never saw it before (17 years old).
    -Acer amoenum selected from seed, 10 years, yellow/orange with little bit of red, so attractive each year.
    Grafted to be sure to enjoy it more ... home named 'shisen do', in memory to the temple witch the seeds came from. Edit: which and not witch !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    zfrittz, Nik, emery and 4 others like this.
  5. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Last bit of fall colour..

Attached Files:

AlainK, Nik, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

Good evening M. Almost gone for another year, but the last leaves are still so pretty.

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The one in the ground, from a cutting taken on the first ever "Japanese maple" I ever bought in the early 1990s. It's protected from the sun until the end of afternoon by the leaves of the Prunus pissardii :

acerp000_201128a.jpg acerp000_201128b.jpg

dicky5ash, zfrittz, opusoculi and 2 others like this.
  8. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Walked in the greenhouse to water and notice this.

Acer buergerianum 'wako nishiki'
    20201129_145136.jpg
    20201129_145208.jpg

zfrittz, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I am intrigued @opusoculi, if your maple is named in memory of the "temple witch" the seeds came from or "the temple which the seeds came from".

10. Acerholic

Good morning D, a lovely tangerine colour to start the week off with. Acer buergerianum is not seen too often on the maples forum, don't know why tbh as it has a wonderful shaped leaf.

11. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

@Margot.
    Sorry, but 60 years after, unfortunately, my scolar inglish is not improving ...
    For sure, no witch in ’shisen do’ temple .

In the background is a large group of Acer amoenum trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    zfrittz, AlainK, Nik and 2 others like this.
  12. Acerholic

Good morning; Beautiful photo and very impressive how this was created, don't think I would have the patience to do this though in my garden. Think it would suit someone with OCD perfectly, Lol.

13. emery

Oddly, A. buergerianum is not very spectacular here, although according to most sources it should color well. There are a couple of cultivars only that are exceptions: one is 'Wakoh nishiki', which I have a tiny week plant that has been holding on for years and years. An awful graft, but I have seen some great ones and @LoverOfMaples I hope you have a good one. I'm often afraid that photographing it will kill it, and apparently didn't do so this fall, although it was very pretty. 'Mino yatsubusa' is also pretty, as in it's own way is 'Nokoribo', pictured from this fall. As you see from the leaves, it is properly A. buergerianum var integrifolium 'Nokoribo'. Sorry if I posted this previously, don't remember!

This variety, along with var ningpoense, are apparently not accepted enough to appear in the list of accepted names. I need to look into this!

IMG_20201026_162543_v1.jpg IMG_20201026_162600_v1.jpg

14. LoverOfMaples

I've notice that @Acerholic and thanks.

@emery my 'wako nishiki' seem to be grafted well. I hope it grow well for me. I also have 'mino yatsubusa' and it is a beauty. I'm impressed with the amount of growth it put on this year. I put it in the ground last month.

I'm in screach of :
    'goshiki kaede'
    'nurato'
    'michael steinhardt'
    'nokoribo'

15. emery

@LoverOfMaples Those are great Trident maples, the only one we don't have in the ground yet is 'Michael Steinhardt', still quite small in a pot and had been struggling before this year. Mine was a gift from MrMaple so I know he has it, and will probably have it again in the spring.

Planted 'Naruto' this year, it seems to be fine in spite of the difficulties of the weather. It's in full sun. 'Goshiki kaede' is a difficult little maple but gorgeous. Ours has never gotten very bushy, but has been in the ground for a long time. It does need shade.

Tip for 'Wakoh nishiki'. Yano says to leave a green branch on the stock for photosynthesis, but I've found giving it sequestrene in late spring also greens it up and helps the root. The problem with mine is really just the bad graft...

Were you looking for A. pictum 'Usugumo'? I saw MrMaple has it in stock now.

cheers, -E

16. LoverOfMaples

Thanks for the great tip @emery. I definitely will be putting it to use. I grabbed a 'Usugumo' from a nursery that @kbguess recommended. I will be submitting an order with MrMaple once they get back to me about a few cultivars they might have available. Very nice guys!

17. emery

For sure! If you run across it, 'Tancho' is a synonym for 'Naruto'.

Well the response I got for the "state" of buergerianum, is that the Species Group tried to follow FOC, with the result that ssp ningpoense was subsumed into the species; this seems obviously wrong given that both the leaves and samaras are different. Further, var integrifolium has now been used in FOC as a synonym for oblongum, another obvious error to my way of thinking. The person from the Species Group agreed that we have some work to do on this one!

18. emery

Took these pictures today, 5 Dec, of this A. forrestii. It is about the last touch of color in the garden from a maple, aside from those that stay green. As always it is distinguished by the cherry red petioles, now contrasting with the yellow leaves.

This maple was dessicated in the sun and wind this summer, and was completely without leaves by the first part of August. In September new leaves grew, and they have stayed green until now, when we have had frost. I think the new buds have had enough time to form for next spring, but we will see.

IMG_20201205_162928_v1.jpg IMG_20201205_162941_v1.jpg IMG_20201205_163053_v1.jpg

19. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What do you collectors of maples do with the fallen leaves?

20. LoverOfMaples

I finely chopped them. Then compost most, some are placed around newly planted trees as mulch, flower beds, and the rest is left to decompose over my lawn. I have lots of very old oak trees that drops lots of leaves doing the fall season.

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  21. Acerholic

@Margot good morning, I do the same as they help make excellent loam. My garden vac shreds them really well before placing in the compost heap. Leaves do take a lot longer to break down. I have in the past left a lot on the ground over Winter, but in the Spring I have noticed more slugs by doing this and they love new maple leaves.

22. Acerholic

The last leaves on my Sangu Kaku and a blue sky, just caps the 2020 season off nicely. This is how I like to finish Autumn.....
    Sangu kaku 240.JPG

23. AlainK

'Momoiro koya san' : the leaves that had suffered were the first to fall, the new ones appearing further down are still there. The last one to show so many leaves :

acerp-momoiro_201206a.jpg

Acer pentaphyllum. It was still green a few days ago :

acer-penta_201206a.jpg

PS : half-time : England 6, France 13. Great match so far ;-D

80' : 19-19 !!! :-|

first extra time :19-19 : so much suspense, so exciting !!!

second extra time : penalty kick, England 22, France 19 :-(

But the best game I've seen for a long time ^_^

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    zfrittz, Margot, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  24. AlainK

The one in the ground. It's protected fom the sun by a big Prunus pissardii (or the like, trunk on the left) and only gets the sun late in the afternoon. Yesterday, when the sun was going down :

acerp000_201208a.jpg

Nik, dicky5ash, opusoculi and 6 others like this.