Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by stephen2602, Apr 19, 2004.

1. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

First snow this winter through my new Sango Kaku branches.

Attached Files:

2. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

My new SK is looking good so far this year:

Attached Files:

3. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

It's looking great as the centerpiece in my backyard:

Attached Files:

4. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

My Sango is still looking great and the only JM that has shown any significant fall color so far, but my SK population has grown to four. Not exactly intentional though.

In November last year I bought a JM at an end of season sale that was labeled as a Higasayama. It had leaves that had already turned to a reddish gold and I assumed the nursery knew what they were selling. Not so. This spring it emerged with SK type leaves.

Then also in November of last year I bought another SK from a different nursery because I loved my first one. This one is taller but leggy and not as full as the first one with great leaf color and nice red bark.

Last month I bought another one from still another local nursery to fill in a specific spot in front of my house. It was the last JM that they had. It's somewhat stressed with leaf scorch but nice form and dense branching but no noticeable red bark. maybe the cold will bring that out.

Attached Files:

5. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

SK1 looking outstandingly orange this year:

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Sangu kaku in July 2020, the bark is the draw but what about the leaves. This one is in full morning sun and afternoon shade from 2pm. I have it next to Bi hoo for obvious reasons for Winter contrast.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

A Summers day in England with a blue sky and Sangu Kaku in my garden, doesn't get much better IMO.
    Photos 30th July 2020.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

August 5th 2020, what a change in one week. The new leaves have turned green and are already turning the next to the next stage.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    Not too bad considering, so many say this one does badly in the heat, but I think this is OK.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    After discussions about how this one copes, I thought it best to add a close up photo of the leaves today 23rd August 2020.
    Yes it can get hit by the heat, but the scorching isn't too bad IMO.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    A cultivar that was blown about so much the last few days, is not looking too bad at all IMO.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    Just one day later and I have massive amounts of new growth on my Sangu Kaku. Three days off September!!!!

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    Often overlooked for its leaf colour for the red stems, but I think they are rather pretty.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday. My Sangu Kaku is still sprouting everywhere.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

28th September 2020 and after a few days of cold it's going to be warm again. 20° C. Strange year !!! I think sunshine and my Sangu Kaku go together so well. And especially early morning sun.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

8th October 2020 in early morning sunshine and my Sangu Kaku is brightening up the day in my garden as if it's Spring.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

16th October 2020 and my Sangu Kaku might give out some fiery reds shortly, but this year is strange so who knows. Photo added just to show transformation phase and how late this actually is in my garden.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

19th October 2020 and my Sangu Kaku glows in the morning light in my garden now. Its not all about the red branches of Winter.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

24th October 2020 and if you want a maple to brighten a dull corner of your garden in Autumn then IMO look no further than Sangu Kaku.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

1st November 2020 and I took this photo of my friends Sangu Kaku this morning, it is 45 years old and left to its own devices. Not too bad IMO.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

5th November 2020 and a crisp start to the day with a lovley blue sky, so thought I would post how my Sangu Kaku looks with it's scarlet branches and frosted leaves.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

12th November 2020 and after torrential rain all through the night a few colourful leaves were left on my Sangu Kaku.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

20th November 2020 and a day of heavy cloud and rain and then for a brief moment, just as daylight was about to go, the sun came out and shone on my Sangu Kaku. It's now probably good night to this one until next Spring, but the beauty of this cultivar is that the red stems will brighten my garden until then.

Attached Files:

25. Patricio

Patricio New Member

Acerholic... Thank you for sharing your SK journey! I'm seriously considering investing in a Sango Kaku. I live in 8A and have a spot for it in a full sun. Summers can be pretty harsh... do you know if it can take full sun in 8A? Any info would be greatly appreciated being that i'm a NOVICE!

Thanks again and look forward to seeing more of your SK!