Please Identify 9a Tex Bushy, Leathery, dense

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bart, Nov 21, 2020.

1. bart

bart New Member

This is dense. Its leaves are leathery, have stayed green (NONE have turned yellow and fallen) they feel slightly hairy. the leaf stems are thick but concave. its a year old, no flowers.. just leaves. It appears to start new plant suckers. the leaves are on a long stem, but theres so many its hard to see the main stem. they dont have any scent really. ive neglected the hell out of them. the seed was sent to me. its growing in 9a texas clay based garden. with new wood based mulchy garden mix.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening and welcome to the forum. IMO it is Geranium macrorrhizum or known as Big foot geranium.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That plant is quite noticeably aromatic and the leaves have different lobing, are not glossy.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We may need to wait until flowers to have a better idea.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I agree with Daniel - it will be so much easier to see flowers.
    Is there a main stem? I'm looking at Sanguinaria, Sanguinaria - Wikipedia, even though the species name is canadensis, it does grow in the eastern US, and you didn't say where the seeds were sent from. Any evidence of "a reddish rhizome with bright orange sap that grows at or slightly below the soil surface"?
    For later, maybe we could have a better photo of the leaf undersides.

6. Ron B

Leaves of that one significantly different in construction and not borne in a tuft of many springing from a common base.

7. wcutler

So that one at the upper right is the same? I wasn't convinced of that. Thanks.

8. bart

bart New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. To answer you, The Geranium does look the closest reco. as of yet. But the leaf, stem, and roots are almost scentless. It was sold to me, as Mothers Wort. One of two variety a L.Cardiaca and L.Sibericus. It has no scent of mint whatsoever. The roots were white, off white. Fairly dense, with a couple leaders (with roots on them as well). The underside of the leaf is a slightly lighter color. Maybe center stem isnt a good way of putting it, all those leave come from a central thing. And are extremely difficult to pull out. I thought i might harm it, or pull it out of the ground, Thats how well attached the stems are.

I can take additional images, or videos, if anyone needs. Or if there is a place i can send these pics. I have yet to find anyone who can identify it.

i appreciate the effort guys.

9. wcutler

Well, the "L." is what you were looking for - Leonuris cardiaca, common name Motherwort.
    I'm feeling like you set up a quiz for us, when you had information you weren't giving us.
    In the Lamiaceae family, not related to geranium. I didn't pick up on the square stems - that's what we're seeing in the photos? The leaves at the base of the plant, what we're seeing here, are a different shape to those on the flower stalks.

10. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

OK think we can rule out Leonurus cardiaca...common name motherwort.
    Leonurus cardiaca leaf - Google Search

It looks so familiar.
    No flower, very vigorous...possibly a thug?
    Wonder if it could be the thug, spring flowering Petasites frigidus var palmatus...common name Arctic butterbur?
    Is deliriously happy in wet ground

Petasites frigidus var palmatus - Google Search

PETASITES  FRIGIDUS var  PALMATUS 26-03-2007 16-11-06.jpg PETASITES  FRIGIDUS var  PALMATUS 26-03-2007 16-11-23.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. bart

bart New Member

The seed looked exactly like Leonotis Leonurus, and Leonotis Nepetifolia. So i figured it was a Mint relative. But the lack of scent or square interior changed my mind. I just checked their website, and the seed they sell is.. Chinese MOtherwort ~ Leonurus Artemesia, Common Motherswort ~ L.Artemesia, and Siberian Motherswort ~ L. Sibericus. Try as i might i cant find images of the bases of those 3. But their website does say L.Sib and L.Art are Biennial. I assumed i got the wrong thing. Because its so alien to the mints i have, and the images of flowers (leaves near the top/ flowers)
    Is Geranium biennial? These guys are incredibly healthy, almost a year old.

trying to find an image of butterburr seed, these looked like a leonotis seed. like a dark elongated tiny grain of rice. Google is so useless now :( i dont think the butterburr and geranium have seed like that (but i cant tell, because there are no images)

12. Ron B

Again the leaf shape and other details are not the same - plant asked about may even be evergreen, if it is still full of undamaged leaves this late in the year.

13. Silver surfer

Eeeck! Earlier suggestion rubbish. So sorry.
    Just been looking at pic 4 more closely.
    Leaves compound. Not straightforward as in pic 3
    Back to the drawing board.

126164546_869617080442809_945838368857670852_n.jpg

bart likes this.
  14. bart

bart New Member

It certainly is the greenest, prettiest plant out there. The peppers and squash i had out there were looking rough, in new dirt. Low NPK. These guys never missed a beat. It is still warm here. warmish. We are still getting squash flowers. All my garlic has already sprouted. idk.
    It definitely a biennial, because they were nice an big even in summer and fall here. But nothing triggered the bolting yet. lol, the more i look into it, the more confused i am. Its an Enigma, wrapped in a Riddle

15. bart

bart New Member

Ok Guys as spring is sort of here, i have lots of new growth. Here are new pics. The leaves changed Completely from last year. Recap: Original Question "What is this plant". i had scattered motherwort seed years ago. If it is Motherswort, is it Sibericius, Artemesia, Japonicus, or Cardiaca?

Attached Files:

16. wcutler

Here are some pages with good photos and descriptions:
    Leonurus japonicus
    Leonurus japonicus page (missouriplants.com)
    and Leonurus cardaica (this doesn't look like it to me, but I don't know this plant at all)
    Leonurus cardiaca page (missouriplants.com); Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) (illinoiswildflowers.info)

According to Leonurus japonicus - Wikipedia, Leonurus artemisia and Leonurus sibiricus are synonyms of Leonurus japonicus, so you can remove those two names from your shortlist.

Flowers are only two or four months away.

17. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Let's look at the very first picture Bart posted. Is not it Aconitum ?

18. Silver surfer

Good thinking. That would fit ..1st image.

19. Ron B

Original post says "no flowers" if you are thinking the first picture is showing a monkshood flower bud. Appearance of foliage does not fit those anyway.