Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

@Acerholic , D, I hope they are well and that your son and his wife recover as soon as possible.
    My daughter also had it in March, but she only lost her smell and taste and within a week she recovered, quite well.
    A greeting.

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@zfrittz good evening J thankyou so much for your kind thoughts, it's early days, but they are coping at the moment.
    Hopefully the vaccine will sort this problem out for everyone very soon.
    Glad your daughter got through it unscathed in March. It's always a worry. So many different reactions to this virus !!!

Have a great weekend and thanks again.

Margot and zfrittz like this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

My goodness D. Your lot has been through, and is still in, the wringer. Sending best thoughts for a speedy recovery with no lasting scars.

Margot likes this.
  4. Acerholic

@emery thankyou E. Not been an easy year. But others have had it a lot worse. I lost a friend in September with it !!! Only 60.
    Fingers crossed for the vaccine.

5. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hi.

Hopefully the coronavirus vaccine is out soon. It has been a year ... not to forget.

Here in the south of Mallorca you can already feel autumn in the maple trees, although these days we are having temperatures about 5 degrees more than usual. 25 degrees maximum and about 15 degrees minimum.

So go some of my maples. Seyriu, Palmatum and Atropurpureum.

Regards

Attached Files:

Nik, dicky5ash, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good evening Monica, Wow still so warm, but I can see the leaves are turning now, especially as the days get shorter. Your Atropurpureum has beautiful tones. Think this has been a star in the maple world this year. Hopefully soon it will get cold enough for your trees to go into hibernation to build their strength for a wonderful Spring display.
    I agree that the vaccine is long awaited and hopefully we will get back to some normality once it arrives.
    Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

monicasanchez likes this.
  7. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Thank you! Let's see if we can put this crisis behind us soon.

Happy weekend to you too.

8. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Wow! That is a beautiful tree, very special how you can admire its beauty and remember your friend. ☺️

That Emperor 1 looks a lot like a Osakazuki in fall from the picture! I’ve been walking around my neighborhoods trying to see if I can tell the differences between Bloodgood, Emperor 1 and Fireglow. Not sure if I’ve seen anything I think is a Moonfire yet.

9. Acerholic

Good morning Connor, I agree they are so very similar it is hard to tell the difference. But Emperor 1 leafs out later than the others and hence avoids the late frosts. Osakasuki is a green and IMO the greens do colour up better in the Autumn than the reds. The history of all of our trees and friends trees make them that extra special. We plant for our own pleasure but I hope we all plant for future generations as well.

10. Acerholic

To end the year on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread and probably to close this after 8 good months. Here is my Sangu Kaku with it's final throws of Autumn 2020.
    Thankyou to everyone who has contributed or just viewed this thread. I really hope it has helped over some very difficult times. Next stop a new thread for Spring colours 2021 !!! Can't wait......
    Sangu kaku 231.JPG

monicasanchez, Nik, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

These two ('Shishigashira' and 'Koto hime') are still resisting, in spite of the dandelions :

acerp-kotohime_201120a.jpg

monicasanchez, Nik, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  12. Acerholic

@AlainK and thank goodness they are Alain, we need something to bring us cheer atm.

13. AlainK

I sometimes like to say that I like swinging in my hammock, listening to the grass to grow. A funny (?) way to advertise a contemplative way of life.

Now, it's time to re-arrange the garden, rake the dead leaves, protect the fragile ones. Summertime, and the living was easy... but now, it's time to make sure my potted trees will survive the winter : 0°C forecast(ed?) for tomorrow morning.

14. Acerholic

At least that will hopefully mean the start of them getting some sleep until next Spring !!! Our Spanish friends ie J @zfrittz and @monicasanchez are still getting very warm temperatures, which is always a worry for this time of the year.

15. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

One of my bihoo’s has a 1/3 leaves on and a few on Emerald lace but all the rest are on the ground! I’ll be doing some cleaning up and will take a few group stick photos lol

16. Acerholic

Good evening R, yes it's all coming to an end now, but by and large it's been a interesting and colourful year. But I have to say, 'roll on 2021'

17. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

You mean we couldn't get this thread up to 200 pages? What a disgrace...

I'm getting lazy in my old age and planted a few of my potted JM's in the ground so I don't have to move to many into my garage. Of course now I have a few pots to fill in the spring.

Here's to a great 2021 for everybody!!

Acerholic likes this.
  18. AlainK

Don't rush, 2020 is still here. Let's enjoy it to the very last drop...

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

I cannot believe the PMs I've received after posting this today. I thought the thread was was coming to a natural end. But it seems maybe not !!!
    So I wonder if 200 pages is possible?? J @dangerine49 let's see what happens.
    Totally agree , moving pots around at this time of the year as our collections grow seems to get harder and harder and when they have been emptied we fill them again. Why do we do it to ourselves, Lol.
    A great 2021 to you also J.

dicky5ash likes this.
  20. vbx

vbx Active Member

I was about to cut off some branches off a few trees but decided to air layer them instead. Let's see how it goes. I'll check back to see if they rooted in a few months.

21. Acerholic

Will look forward to seeing that in the Spring A, fingers crossed for you.

22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Most of my trees are bare now but there are still some with good color left and there's a couple that are totally refusing to change. Maybe by 2021...

Attached Files:

emery, Margot, monicasanchez and 5 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

@dangerine49 good evening J, some lovely colours indeed. Is that your Shishigashira refusing to change? Always one of the last in my garden.

24. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

No, the Shishi is the golden one next to the white fence which just recently changed . The tall green one was mis-marked as a Hisagayama when I bought it. Has yellowish bark. I thought it was a Sango for a while or a Bihoo. It's an enigma wrapped in a mystery.

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  25. Acerholic

Here are four that are refusing to drop their leaves and I'm not complaining as they are just so pretty when almost everything else is bare.

Attached Files:

emery, vbx, Margot and 7 others like this.