Autumn colors 2020 - Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Very kind Alain, but I have been sworn to agreeing 'no more trees'. Tbh I really have run out of room.

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

That's one of the reasons why I was offering you some... ;0)

3. Acerholic

Such a heavy rainstorm here through the night, I was surprised that I had any leaves left. But Sangu Kaku and Shindeshojo both surprised me.

Attached Files:

emery, ROEBUK, LoverOfMaples and 2 others like this.
  4. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Not the best year for fall colour here unfortunately. These are my last ones which still have some leaves left. Pictures are of Pixie, Kamagata, Shirazz, Ruysen, Shishigashira, Orange dream and Sango kaku 2 x.

Attached Files:

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well we are nearly finished now in the north of England just the few late stragglers hanging on today after some strong winds last night no doubt will all be gone come the weekend , the last two pics of oridono nishiki still thinks it's in spring??

Attached Files:

dangerine49, opusoculi, Nik and 6 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good evening M, what a feast for the eyes to lead with. I don't think I've seen a better Shishigashira anywhere. It is also funny this year in we all seem to have at least one maple that is producing new leaves now.
    Agree with your comments that all leaves will be on the ground after this weekend, as there is some bad weather forecast. But after the strong winds all Summer, the colours have not been too bad at all.

7. ROEBUK

Hi D yes it's been a strange year in more ways than one, yes the covid virus is on every ones mind and every thing else is a secondary thought. The maples have been very strange this year i have found, got off to a great spring start then everything went down hill with the awful spring weather/storms which knocked quite a lot of my winter re pots for six , these didn't show at all this fall but they are looking very well at present with good healthy branch and buds, so these will return stronger for next season. The ground trees have done very well with excellent colours but have not lasted as long as usual, the back end of November is usually a good time for some of my maples but again the weather is having it's last laugh!! The Shishigashira is one that is usually a better colour back end of the month as is the Sekka yatsabusa ,needs another week not much red this year on both these cultivars , have seen the shishigashira in better fall colours than this year for sure. Seem to have seen more yellows and orange tones in various cultivars that i would not normally expect to see in such deep colours/tones , very nice to see but will they show again next year ?? There have been some wonderful pictures on the site over the fall, and look we have to start all over again next year :) hopefully it will be better for us all next year, and we may all see some sort of normality return to the world.

8. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good morning M, yes a very strange year with more happening to people than just Covid. At least we all have our gardens and maples to cheer us up. As you have probably seen on another thread our friend Luke is very sadly having to let his collection go. But I hope he will look in now and again on the forum as he will be very much missed.
    Let's all be positive for 2021 and hope it is a good year for everyone and our trees.

ROEBUK likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Here are a couple that are barley holding onto the very last leaves this morning. Beni Hagoromo and Phoenix. Hope they hold on a bit longer as everything is looking very bare now.

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, emery and 2 others like this.
  10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Been a very busy work week, following a visit from our son for some administrative necessities, and haven't managed to keep up... But also quite near finished here, although I did notice a few seedlings on the bench that caught my notice. That's how you start down the path to making the garden, here! ;)

Mark I do think there have been many more oranges and yellows than normal here. Typically very hot sun increases reds, but so many maples were burnt, I think the leaves in the second level have been mostly what we've seen.

First, Acer micranthum, a 2020 seedling, nothing much left when I took the picture but I think this will be a really good plant if it lives:
    IMG_20201108_154540_v1.jpg

Seed from Shinjuku in Tokyo has turned the most amazing red. It is a seedling from 2019.
    IMG_20201108_154101_v1.jpg IMG_20201108_154115_v1.jpg IMG_20201108_154722_v1.jpg

and lastly a fine red and good leaf shape from this unidentified seed:
    IMG_20201108_154149_v1.jpg

opusoculi, Nik, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  11. AlainK

One of the last ones. The colours are much less spectacular than in previous years, it definitely needs repotting :

acerp_ishigami_201114a.jpg

12. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Second wave of colourings.
    Here, mid november is the usual date for the colour full top.
    Trend of the year colouring started out (for many) with dark colours, then lightened up . But no lasting as expected.

-Last leaves of amoenum amoenum as they are in Kyoto , from seeds collected in ’shisen do’ temple because it have only several wide hight amoenum.
    -Acer kamagata just starting, 17 years old (too much shade).
    -Acer Garnet 20 years old.
    -Acer seyriu, framed branches.
    3 others Acer trees are from seeds collected in Kyoto, they are 10 years old.
    -one in container with reddish woods, each year with the same light red.
    -one in container , always red, not yet at it’s top.
    -one in ground, yellow last years , orange this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    wind-borne, Nik, ROEBUK and 7 others like this.
  13. Acerholic

Took this just as the wind was getting up this afternoon. 50mph again!! My Deshojo is one of my last to have some leaves. So thought I would share it.
    Deshojo 227.JPG

14. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Mature Shishigashira in my uncles neighborhood!

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, LoverOfMaples and 5 others like this.
  15. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Is that a Chirimen Hinoki Cypress I spy in your garden!?

I bought one this spring randomly at nursery, I’d never seen one and instantly fell in love.

16. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

It is a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana Wissels Saguaro. I do have a Hinoki Little Spire which is somewhat similar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Acerholic, ROEBUK, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  17. Acerholic

Good morning, I thought these couple of photos taken a few minutes ago of my Okushimo looked quite pretty. The curling of the leaves that is such a particular feature of this one really shows up this morning.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, zfrittz, Nik and 3 others like this.
  18. AlainK

The leaves on both 'Shishigashira' and 'Koto hime' are still there :

acerp-shishi_201117a.jpg

The ones that were in the shade are also holding their leaves longer, especially the seedlings :

jardin_201117a.jpg

19. ROEBUK

These Wissels Saguaro do grow quite large when in the ground, bought this one years and years ago as a small 20cm young plant, must be well over seven foot now and was lifted and potted on last year to slow it down a bit just kept growing taller ?

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      447.4 KB
      Views:
    LoverOfMaples, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  20. ROEBUK

Can you imagine a avenue of these, that would look awesome!!

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Good morning, well the wind has sent my leaves everywhere, so I only have a few left. But my Emerald lace is just about holding on and looking very delicate and pretty a few minutes ago.
    Emerald lace 230.JPG Emerald lace 231.JPG

22. Nik

Nik Contributor

I believe this is a truncatum x platanoides seedling showing interesting fall color. It is in a pot with palmatum seedlings. It will winter like that in the pot. Also, heavily protected japonicum seeds spending a second year stratification outside in the elements, nothing germinated after one year. Fingers crossed...

Attached Files:

23. AlainK

My "big" palmatum has lost a lot of leaves, but some at the back (they were in the shade) are still green. And very few samaras this year.

acerp000_201120a.jpg acerp000_201120b.jpg

Margot, zfrittz, opusoculi and 2 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

Good evening, you know when at the end of the day and the sun breaks through just as it's going down after a wet cloudy day, well I had this a few minutes ago and although only a few leaves left, I managed to take these.

Attached Files:

emery, Margot, zfrittz and 1 other person like this.
  25. AlainK

I find it rather depressing when the sun goes down at 17:20.

It reminded me of my year in Scotland, coming home from school, looking at the sunset through the bus window, a beautiful sight, I felt happy. And I suddenly realized it was something like half past three ! The pub will open at 5:30 !

I checked the time on Time.is - heure exacte, pour tout fuseau horaire

The sun goes down at 16:20 or so in Britain, oh my !

I much prefer the "summer time", it should be 18:20 here now.

It was a very sunny day today, no wind, but cold (3-9°C). The skyline at 17:25 :

jardin_201120a.jpg

emery, Margot and zfrittz like this.