Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Ken Hamilton, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

Came across three A. p. Atropurpureums earlier this summer...but now in their autumn colour, two have turned a beautiful shade of peach while the other has the usual deep crimson associated with Atrop. I'll load three photos. My phone camera isn't great for colour accuracy,(a bit too orange) but the first photo has the usual Atrop. in the foreground. Anyone seen this type or cv. and have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Ken Hamilton good afternoon Ken, if they are indeed the same Atropurpureum ?? This could be down to how well they stored glucose through the Summer months. The two that are each/ orange did not store it so well for some reason hence their reds were washed out in the Autumn.
    Tbh I have not seen Atropurpureum turn this peach colour before.

3. Ken Hamilton

@Acerholic I didn't think about that possibility. They all appeared identical during the summer. Could soil differences affect coloration?

4. Acerholic

@Ken Hamilton, yes if the soil is lower in Nitrogen this can produce more red in the leaves, but the pale colour of the two that are 'very' close to the red Atropurpureum shouldn't really have this outcome.

5. Ken Hamilton

I'll maybe try and graft a few scions from the peachy trees and see if it's just an aberration or the actual autumn colour.

6. Acerholic

@Ken Hamilton ahhh thats a very good idea Ken, you never know what might come from it.
    Fascinating though, you just never know what nature will throw up.

All three are lovley trees !! Looks a nice place to walk.

7. Ken Hamilton

Beautiful place to walk. (Stormont Park Belfast). I've been trying to ID another interesting specimen in the same grounds if you'd like to have a go?? Not an Acer but at a distance at first I thought it was.
    I was arrested by its fabulous autumn colour so have been following it through a whole year but still have no idea other than it's prob in rosaceae family.
    Here goes.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

@Ken Hamilton very eye catching Ken and as you said a lovely place to walk. I agree in the rosacea family. Wild cherry is my guess.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

10. Ken Hamilton

@AlainK Thanks for the suggestion and I also thought of Crataegus spp. but this tree has absolutely no thorns. Also the fruit has 4-6 separate seeds inside which rules out Prunus spp. It's somewhere in The Crataegus/ Pyracantha/ Cotoneaster range the flowers and fruit being of similar size. If you want to pass it on to any other tree/ shrub experts, please do. It's been bugging me for a year now. Thanks.

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I think it's one of the species of Crataegus that has no thorns. I can't go and check because of the lockdown, but I'm almost sure this one has no thorns.

Ken Hamilton likes this.