Appreciation: Head for the Hills: videos and photos

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by hiking Pat, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That wouldn't be difficult for me @hiking Pat . . . it would be impossible! Thanks for providing a glimpse into where I would not go.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Reflections are amazing Pat. The plants you see in the wild up high are where they should be viewed. Very envious !!!

3. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Thank you - Margot and Acerholic - I do feel very fortunate - coming up to snow season now though and no more flowers :( - yesterday was a snow shoe hike! Would you still like to see the views - or shall we skip to spring?

4. Acerholic

For me personally I would love for you to continue Pat, it is all part of nature. On the Maples forum I have just started a thread called 'Winter bare bones' to encourage people to post photos of their trees with out leaves. The trees are just as interesting IMO and on another positive aspect, keeps us all connected a little through probably the most difficult Winter for a very long time world wide.

5. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Sounds good - I will try and find your winter thread :)

6. Acerholic

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That thread is for Maples. I can start a thread in this How's It Growing forum, something like The Winter Scene, but
    1 - we have two months before winter! So Appreciation: Fall Colours 2020 is still operating (as is Appreciation: Flowers that bloom in the fall).
    and 2 - there needs to be a posting start the thread (I think).
    Pat, you have been doing a new thread for many (but not all) of these. Do you want them to be in one of the existing threads? I can easily move them. Others may answer this as well.

8. Acerholic

@wcutler totally agree Wendy, my link was just an example and is for Maples.
    But a thread in how's it growing entitled 'The Winter Scene' sounds a wonderful idea for perhaps the end of November. I will certainly contribute.

9. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

oops, yes please - I was wondering if I was doing it incorrectly

10. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

haha - you are talking Alberta here - we have 1-2 ft of snow already! Our fall lasts 2 weeks LOL!

11. Acerholic

That much snow in the South of England at any time, we would be suspecting the start of another Ice age, probably even in the Midlands as you know !!!!!! Lol.
    Think you can safely say Winter has arrived for you in Alberta Pat.

12. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Manning Park, BC - June 2019

I thought I'd share a couple of days spent in Manning Park in June of 2019. I had invited my mother and her husband to join us (me, my husband and the dog) for a couple days of exploring. Being June I figured it would be a great time for a hike and to see alpine wildflowers so we booked a couple of days at the Resort Lodge and used it as a base to do our exploring. What we didn't know until we got there was that they had had heavy snows that winter so a lot of the higher roads and trails were still closed. And there weren't many wildflowers because it was still "early in the season".
    We did however enjoy canoeing on Lightning Lake, took a drive up to the Visitor Center parking lot to see the sights (the higher Cascade Lookout was still closed) and hiked the 9.3 km 3 Falls Trail.

Lightning Lake
    Canoeing on Lightning Lake (the dog goes everywhere with us)
    View of the Lodge and Lightning Lake from visitor center parking lot
    Spreading phlox - phlox diffusa
    Paintbrush and a few wildflowers starting to appear
    3 Fall Trail
    Encountering snow on the 3 Falls Trails
    Columbian ground squirrel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  13. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Ha Ling Peak is above Canmore, Alberta, Canada. The trail is very popular and usually very busy, however this day on October 14th, 2019 was a little on the chilly side (-10°) so the numbers were few. Only a few pics for this trip as we didn't hang around long -but the view is definitely worth a peek. I will have to return when the flora is a little more visable.

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  14. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Wild horse trail is located in Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada and the foothills of the Rockies. So special when you actually get to see the wild horses! Hike date is November 25, 2019

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2020
    Acerholic and pmurphy like this.
  15. Acerholic

@hiking Pat good morning Pat, from someone who used to have his own horse and love a trek across the New Forest, your photos of the Wild horse trail brought back lots of memories., Your views are a little different, although my riding around Aviemore and Skye were a bit similar, but not so dramatic.
    Thankyou for triggering the memories and showing what a wild landscape you have there in Alberta.

16. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Bow Valley Provincial Park is a provincial park in Alberta, Canada. Established in 1959 in the arch of the Bow River at its confluence with the Kananaskis River, the park is accessed from Highway 1 and is close to Canmore. This day on Dec 2, 2019 - it was one of those lovely crisp winter days.

Acerholic likes this.
  17. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Ribbon Creek day use area, in the Evan Thomas recreational area of Kananaskis, Alberta Canada - a lovely place to snowshoe

Daniel Mosquin and Acerholic like this.
  18. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Bowmont Park or Bowmont Natural Environment Park is a 192 hectares urban park on the northern bank of the Bow River in the northwest of the city of Calgary in the communities of Bowness and Montgomery. 'Bowmont' is a combination of their names. The Park was created in the 1980s. Walked on this day December 16, 2019

Margot, Daniel Mosquin and Acerholic like this.
  19. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Griffith Woods Park is a primarily natural environment park that lies along the banks of the Elbow River in the southwest part of Calgary. It is habitat to a wide variety of flora and fauna including orchids, moose, deer, a variety of birds and its unique and sensitive natural spruce and balsam poplar forest. Griffith Woods has one of only two large stands of White Spruce in The City's park system. Seen on this day December 30, 2019 - I love to see the snow crystals on the river and branches.

Attached Files:

Margot, Daniel Mosquin and Acerholic like this.
  20. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Carved steeply into the limestone bedrock by thousands of years of water erosion, the dramatic Johnston Canyon is a must-visit natural attraction in Banff National Park. Overhanging canyon walls, waterfalls, the deep pools of Johnston Creek, and lush forest are sure to leave a memorable impression. And it can all be experienced via an easy hike along smooth trails and catwalks, making it ideal for families and people of all fitness levels and ages. Seen today on January 6, 2020 - Happy New year everyone!

pmurphy, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  21. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

February 24, 2020
    The short trail to Troll Falls is located in Kananaskis Country, close to the resort community of Kananaskis Village. It’s approximately a half hour drive from Banff or an hour from Calgary. It’s an easy trail with little elevation gain, making it a popular family hike any time of the year. We have enjoyed going in the winter when the falls are frozen and much more interesting. There’s also a lot less people.

Acerholic likes this.
  22. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

March 2-3, 2020
    William Watson Lodge provides year-round, barrier-free, wilderness lodging for persons with disabilities, seniors and their families. It's situated in beautiful Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, overlooking Lower Kananaskis Lake. The goal of this facility is to connect people of all abilities, all ages and all cultures to recreational opportunities in nature.

Acerholic likes this.
  23. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Plans to establish Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park,( Near Cochrane), began in 2006 when the children of Alberta rancher Neil Harvie sold 3,246 acres (1,314 ha) of land to the Government of Alberta for less than market value to conserve the land and protect it from development. It is still used to graze cattle, so you have to watch where you step! These are from May 18, 2020 and I am getting impatient to see this years spring flowers - but the snow is melting yay!

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

I hope that continues Pat.

25. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

I combined two lovely parks - seen here in May and June 2020 - Nosehill is a natural park in the northwest quadrant of Calgary, Alberta which covers over 11 km². It is the fourth-largest urban park in Canada, and one of the largest urban parks in North America.
    Bowness Park is a 30-hectare urban park on the Bow River in Bowness, a neighborhood in the northwest quadrant of the City of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It is popular in the summer for picnics and boating, and in winter for ice skating on the lagoon and the canal which feeds it. I am so looking forward to seeing the first spring flowers there this year. (Sorry about the tunes LOL!)

Daniel Mosquin, Margot and Acerholic like this.