Acer elegantulum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, May 25, 2013.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@emery, I was recently looking at this one which is new elegantulum 'cultivar'. As you say Emery they come out so fast these days.
    Acer elegantulum'fendai'

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hey, I'm not surprised! Can you give us a link to it D? Couldn't find it, you're a better searcher than I!!

My better A. elegantulum is still the one Alain gave me years ago, superior to the one I bought (which I'm still not 100% convinced is not a hybrid) and the other one which I killed.

3. Acerholic

4. emery

Well I wouldn't have thought to find it on Research Gate! Not sure why my search engine didn't mind you.

I've requested the text, will let you know if there's anything interesting there. Perhaps it will give us a change to encourage registration, who knows.

5. vbx

vbx Active Member

Interesting. The retailer I purchased it from just calls it 'Acer elegantulum'. But from what I see, they all look very similar.

6. emery

Yes yours is a regular Acer elegantulum. I have not heard of the Chinese cultivar being available, they seem to have developed several cultivars of various species. We'll see if they send me the paper for more info, but you definitely have the species, not any cultivar thereof.

7. vbx

vbx Active Member

LOL, I messed up big time.

So the Acer elegantulum is sitting in a pot in my backyard, and the tree I planted in front is an Acer oliverianum ssp formosanum.

I meant to plant the elegantulum in the front. Don't think I'll be moving it since it's growing fast in the spot I planted it.

Note to self: keep the tags!

8. Acerholic

@vbx but the Acoliverianum ssp formosanum is a wonderful heat tollerant Chinese variety that tbh is a rarity, so to have that in your front garden is IMO a lovely mistake to have made.
    But do keep the tags on any new trees you buy in future, Lol.

vbx likes this.
  9. vbx

vbx Active Member

I'm looking at the photos for both trees and they look very similar. Same orange fall colors apparently so I think I'm good with it.

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

A good ending then, glad you are happy, do post a photo of it's Autumnal colours if possible?

11. vbx

vbx Active Member

Will try. But I don't think I'll see any fall colors on these maples. Maybe the FireDragon Shantung will get some colors.

12. Acerholic

@vbx Understood, starting to have tbe same problems here as the strong winds and heavy rain is taking it's toll.

13. emery

Hey guys just a note to mention that the maple is now back to its old name, Acer serrulatum (prev. Acer oliverianum ssp formosanum). Splitters everywhere rejoice! :) I agree with this in spite of the joke. It is a very rare maple in the west.

It copes very well with heat so @vbx you may see some color, as with elegantulum. A. oliverianum is usually orange but A. serrulatum here tends to have more rose tints. That is, when it does anything at all: mine is a miserable grafted specimen, which leafs out invariably first and then freezes at least once. It then gets covered with the early aphids (which I try to remove of course) and then struggles through the rest of the year looking awful. I've been trying to get a good sound seedling for years now.

I'm sure yous will do better. Sometimes you just get a clunker: sometimes they come around after a few years, sometimes they don't. Mine is definitely a lemon. Remember the "lemon laws" for cars? They should have that for maples! :)

vbx likes this.
  14. vbx

vbx Active Member

Yes, I noticed the serrulatum is doing exceptionally well in the sun. A little better than the elegantulum. But the later is grown in the pot so not a fair comparison.

It's a pretty fast grower and the trunk has thicken pretty good in just 1 season. Hoping I do get some orange fall colors with this in the future. Would look amazing.