Schefflera cultivar with double compound leaves

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Dec 10, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This would be an outdoor plant here in Hawaii where I saw it at a Japanese nursery (almost no labels on plants, no apparent sales staff), but I'd guess it will be a hit as a houseplant. What's nifty is that the leaves are palmately compound, as normal for Schefflera, but the leaflets are either deeply lobed or pinnately compound, and most all the leaflets are 2- or more lobed.

I did find one variegated cultivar with leaves lobed like this, but I think that would have to be a different cultivar. I'm posting this because it's so cute that I'd like to know the cultivar name of what I assume is S. arboricola. Surely, it's coming soon to a nursery near you.

ScheffleraCultivar_KNakamuraNursery-Honolulu_Cutler_20151207_151234.jpg ScheffleraCultivar_KNakamuraNursery-Honolulu_Cutler_20151207_151258.jpg ScheffleraCultivar_KNakamuraNursery-Honolulu_Cutler_20151207_151514.jpg ScheffleraCultivar_KNakamuraNursery-Honolulu_Cutler_20151207_151627.jpg

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. wcutler

Thanks, Junglekeeper. It's curious that that one person's photos are the only ones on the internet. He's in southern California (but no mention if his photos are from there).

A U. of Florida Extension page at UF/IFAS Okeechobee Extension Service | 'Trinet' Arboricola mentions that "around 150 different varieties of [Schefflera arboricola] can be found in the tropical regions of Taiwan, New Zealand and South-East Asia", so maybe it's not even a cultivar.

4. Gil Hannan

Gil Hannan New Member

20180819_110042(0).jpg 20180819_110111.jpg 20180819_110115.jpg 20180819_105956.jpg 20180819_105936.jpg 20180819_105950.jpg
    I'm super late to the conversation, but I snagged a cutting of this schefflera out of a dish garden when I worked in a greenhouse 23 years ago. Someone happened to mention the name Maggie to me and this is the first time I have seen something similar.

Daniel Mosquin and wcutler like this.
  5. wcutler

@Gil Hannan, thanks for the corroboration of the cultivar name, and for attaching the photos! Definitely not too late. :)
    And welcome to the forums.

Gil Hannan likes this.
  6. Junglekeeper

Thanks for the photos; there still aren't many for this cultivar. I don't recall ever seeing it at retail. I wonder why that is since it's quite attractive.

Gil Hannan likes this.
  7. Gil Hannan

Gil Hannan New Member

Thanks! I only was able to get it because I saw it used as filler in a dish garden that was grown in Canada. The grower had no clue what I was talking about and I never saw another. Even having a name, I still have only found two references with pictures online. I have successfully propagated it before, but it is not easy. I really appreciate the information, thanks!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  8. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Isn't this technically a united leaf instead of a compound leaf?

9. wcutler

What does it mean, "united leaf"? The second photo in the thread shows at least one leaf that seems to have leaflets separated on a rachis. Are you saying all Schefflera leaves are united leaves?

10. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Looking more closely at the photos, I see that the leaves are not united, as in two leaves growing like Siamese twins. And, no, Aboricola leaves are compound. Sorry, my mistake.

11. JMShelley

JMShelley New Member

I'm also super late to this conversation, but this plant was recently shipped to my work. I work in large retail and wholesale nursery and this was sent to us as a schefflera arboricola but no cultivar name was given. It was so unique from all the other scheffleras that I've seen since I've worked here so I tried looking it up but could only find this thread about it. The grower we bought it from is based in California, but I have no idea where they source their cuttings. I hope that we are able to carry this plant more often.

IMG_20201027_163510.jpg IMG_20201027_163242.jpg IMG_20201027_163229.jpg

12. wcutler

Will you be following up from the grower about the source and the name?? It will help to have a name if you're going to ask for it! And you'll tell us what they're calling it, right?

I want to point out that there are two interesting aspects to this plant. One is that the leaflets are lobed. But the other, which is what I based the thread title on, is that some of the leaflets are further divided into leaflets, as seen in the first photo in the previous post, on the left just above the centre.

13. JMShelley

JMShelley New Member

It's also interesting how inconsistent the leaf shapes are on the plants. One the same cutting there will be ones that are just lobed and ones that are further divided.
    I'll be asking them if there is a cultivar name for this plant when we put in our next order of plants from this grower and let you know.

wcutler likes this.
  14. Junglekeeper

Are you suggesting this plant is a different cultivar than that of the plants upthread?

15. wcutler

No, just re-noticing what I found interesting about the plant.

16. Junglekeeper

I see. So @JMShelley will be inquiring to confirm the cultivar's name.

17. wcutler

I think that's what we both meant.

18. JMShelley

JMShelley New Member

So I just talked to the grower and they said that they sell that variety as Pittman's Pride. However, when I tried looking up that name all the information that I could find only mentioned that it was a dwarf, compact variety. It never mentions anything about it's leave shape. So I don't know how much I trust that.

19. wcutler

Right, and there are no photos coming up that look like that.
    Here is one that came up called Schefflera arboricola 'Janine' that is variegated with lobed leaves, possibly even a few compound leaflets - I can't really tell.
    Dwarf Umbrella Tree (Schefflera arboricola)

You'd think suppliers would be excited enough about this to get a name for it so they could promote it.