Acer palmatum 'Satsuki beni'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Poetry to Burn, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Great looking plant in nearby private collection.

Attached Files:

2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

This is a small plant I grabbed on Ebay last Fall. Flushed out impressively this Spring.

Attached Files:

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Pics of my 'Satsuki beni'. Of particular note are the extremely cupped leaves, and the pink leaf tips, which are still going strong in the middle of July. This plant gets about 5 hours of afternoon sun each day. It seems to take the heat and exposure just fine. One of my absolute favorites...

Attached Files:

4. brcffbncc

brcffbncc Member

This cultivar looks to be Osakazuki rubrum. Compare it to the pictures at the Esveld site. The growth rate there is not vigorous and the leaves are concave instead of convex. This is what is so vexing about buying Japanese Maples. You don't know what you're getting. It's especially bad with linearilobums. But the problem is also pretty bad when it comes to Amoenums. Shigarami, Tana to name just two. According to Greer Gardens, Satsuki beni is upright and achieves the status of an upper-story tree (25-30 feet) while Esveld states it reaches a little over 8 feet. I think you got sold an Osakazuki, my friend.

Perplexed tree-shopper
    Ocean Shores
    Washington

5. Kaitain4

The leaves are too small to be an 'Osakazuki', and I already have an 'Osakazuki rubrum', which does not compare with this tree. This tree is very different. Fall colors are also not like 'Osakazuki'. I think I have the real thing...

Cheers!

6. brcffbncc

brcffbncc Member

Kaitin4

What do you mean " does not compare " ? I am thinking of getting Satsuki Beni, but I want to be sure I am getting a tree with a growth habit as described at the Buchholz & Buchholz website: 10 ft high x 5 ft wide after 10 years. Is this cultivar vigorous?
    Open? Layered? What about the fall color spectrum? Would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Perplexed in Ocean Shores

7. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

The old Satsuki beni that I am most familiar
    with is a standard upright form which can get
    up to 24 feet (8m) tall. The description for
    this Maple in the Maples of the World book
    is very close to the Vertrees description in
    the second edition Japanese Maples book.
    I can confirm that this Maple was not widely
    available in the nursery trade for a number
    of years. I can also confirm that Greer
    Gardens nursery has in the past sold the
    right, recognized, Maple by this name.

You may want to ask Buchholz nursery
    who their source was for their Satsuki
    beni. I can state that 10’ x 5’ in ten
    years in the ground is not out of bounds,
    attainable, depending on where the Maple
    is grown, for Satsuki beni.

Jim

8. Kaitain4

Different in the shape of the leaf (definitely more cupped - the most cupped leaf on any of my maples), red leaf tips (stayed red til mid-August), leaf size (much smaller than Osakazuki), and fall color (lots of orange and red).

The tree is not big enough and I have not had it long enough to estimate its mature size, but it is supposed to eventually get to 25 ft or so. It seems vigorous. I got this plant from Topiary Gardens.

9. brcffbncc

brcffbncc Member

Kaitin4

Thanks for your speedy reply. Topiary Gardens seems to be the place to go these days for hard-to-find varieties. Satsuki Beni sounds like a good bet. Thanks for your recommendation.

Brcffbncc
    Ocean Shores
    Washington

10. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I purchased this cultivar in June 2020 and wanted to show how it is progressing today 19th October 2020. It's very small but giving out lots of colour.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

28th October 2020 and just before the keaves on my Satsuki Beni drop, a last photo to show how the change has finally happened. Greens to pinks to a lovely yellow. Not bad for one little tree.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

21st April 2021 and although not much to show, I did want to let members know that Satsuki Beni is a late to leaf out maple, in my garden anyway. So it has protection against the late Spring frosts. This had been very important this year.
    Satsuki beni 197.JPG

13. Acerholic

8th May 2021 and at last my Satsuki Beni has the leaves unfurling. I do love this one next to my new black fencing.
    Satsuki beni 220.JPG

14. Acerholic

6th April 2022 and I cant believe it's been nearly a year since my last posting on this one. I must remember to update.
    Satsuki beni April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  15. Acerholic

23rd April 2022 and now fully open and waiting for the red tips to emerge. Needs a bit more sun though.
    Satsuki beni April 23rd 2022.JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  16. Acerholic

30th May 2022 and the greens do get overlooked as they transition to Summer, but I think they shouldn't, as they do look very fresh at this time of year.
    Satsuki beni 28th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  17. Acerholic

5th November 2022 and my Satsuki beni is trying hard to glow, I think the Summer has put paid to any bright colours for this year.
    But they are quite pretty.
    Satsuki beni 5th November 2022 (2).JPG Satsuki beni 5th November 2022.JPG

18. Acerholic

26th May 2023 and there are few that can keep up with the greens of my Satsuki beni in my garden. I do find it very relaxing to look at first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee.
    PXL_20230526_092637339.jpg PXL_20230526_092628512.jpg

19. Acerholic

13th November 2023 and my Satsuki beni was very happy in some morning sun.
    PXL_20231113_102834410.jpg