Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Wow that's some colour J, big thankyou to your sister in law for sending you that to post. The reflection also is dazzling!!! Now that will cheer anyone up seeing that.

2. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

What a beautiful color, I want to be adopted by a family there, even if it is to sweep the garden, lol
    That really exists?

3. Acerholic

Good morning, before the storm hits is us today here in England, I took these few before the winds take their toll.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Well we have another deluge on the way so took these as it just started to rain moments ago. 75% of my trees are now just branches so this colurful season is coming to an end very soon for me. I do still have a few that are only just starting, so that will give me some colour into November.

Attached Files:

5. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Good afternoon everyone.

Autumn in my area is running late. It has hardly rained so far this year, and if it weren't for the cool nights it could almost be said that summer continues (and it's no joke: until November and December people bathe on the beaches).

My maples are not nearly as beautiful as yours: they are in summer hehe. The Acer saccharum is the only one that is already resting.

Regards

121572955_2705423706440205_7553498386581022311_o.jpg

Nik and zfrittz like this.
  6. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good evening Monica, bathing until December sounds wonderful on these wet dark English evenings we are having now.
    Your Acer saccharum although only resting is looking very much the same as many here more North than you. But those yellows and greens are still lovely to see.
    Expect yours will be colourful when all our leaves have gone, which won't be very long !!!!
    Great to hear from you.

monicasanchez likes this.
  7. monicasanchez

Thanks @Acerholic.

It is always a pleasure to participate in this forum, but not always time allows hehe

Your maples are very, very pretty. You do not see anything like it in these lands.

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

@monicasanchez Thankyou Monica. Will keep it going as long as I can.

zfrittz and monicasanchez like this.
  9. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Desperately seeking autumn.....

The Green is holding steady. Even the street Maples, Sycamores and Oaks are slow to turn here. I went searching my garden yesterday for some fall color of any kind:

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik, Margot and 4 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

@dangerine49 good morning J, but what you do have is beautifully photographed. Love how you captured the raindrops.
    Looks like you are just days away from full colour as they are in transition phase atm. I really love this stage.

11. Acerholic

Happy Halloween everyone, I'm sharing my early photos on here and the Autumn colours thread as I think with the news everywhere with the increase in the virus again, some cheering up is needed. Also a visitor to my neighbours garden this morning, spooky !!!
    Have a great but safe day.

Attached Files:

12. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Found a Mantis on the Mikawa Yatsubusa today!

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

WOW !!!!!! Amazing photo Connor. Love the colours you have on your Mikawa Yatsabusa. The sun really brings out the reds.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  14. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Lovely Norway Maple today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

monicasanchez, Nik, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

@GreenLarry good evening Larry, they put a smile on my face. Think we need all the cheer possible with another lockdown in a few days. The glow of those Norway maples certainly brightened up a wet and windy Sunday here in Hampshire.

Keep safe up there in Darlington Larry.

GreenLarry likes this.
  16. GreenLarry

You too Acerholic

17. Acerholic

Good morning, I am entitling these few I took moments ago as first frost. -3 ° C overnight here in Southern England.

Attached Files:

Nik, GreenLarry, Margot and 5 others like this.
  18. Acerholic

I just thought I would show how my Amber ghost contrasts with my Bi hoo. The sun was shining first thing after a heavy frost which brought the best out of both IMO.

Attached Files:

19. monicasanchez

Hello everyone.

At times like this, in which Spain is already talking about home confinement soon (now on the 9th of this month they will decide what to do) it is a pleasure to stop by the forum and enjoy the autumn maples.

@dangerine49 wow! How beautiful your trees look.
    @GreenLarry, spectacular that Norwegian maple. The yellow of its leaves is just perfect. Very very pretty.
    @Acerholic, I loved the photos of the leaves looking frosted. Well, all, but those more hehe :)

My maples are the same as last time: green. I have a palmatum that is without leaves but because it must have had the sun when it was in another location. The Atropurpureum continues to shed leaves, and the others remain green.

Luckily, at night it already starts to drop below 10 degrees Celsius, so now the maple trees will enter the fall. I hope haha

Regards!

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good afternoon Monica, lovely to hear from you as always. We went into full lockdown today, so it looks like you won't be far behind. Will this ever end !!!?
    Back to all our trees, pleased you enjoyed the frosted ones I posted. There is always something to look at with maples no matter the weather.
    Your temperatures are dropping enough to hopefully bring some bright colours for you very soon. My fingers are crossed for you.
    When you do get some change do make sure to post them.
    I will do my best to post a few more, but mine are nearly all bare now.
    Again, great to hear from you.

monicasanchez likes this.
  21. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I recently emerged from my bunker with my vicious attack dog awaiting our election results to take a few pics. There actually is some color besides green on the Ariadne!

Attached Files:

zfrittz, monicasanchez, Nik and 3 others like this.
  22. Acerholic

@dangerine49 good morning J, think you could be waiting a long time for those final results, you could be posting your Spring colours before that happens Lol. But Harry looks poised and ready whatever they are !!
    I like the subtle tones you are getting in the sunshine, too often overlooked for the vivid colours of Autumn. It's been a good year for Ariadne and yours is holding on very well indeed including your dissectums. Getting near the end everywhere now though, so do have a look at the Winter bare bones thread. It will give us all something to post over the next few months until the new season starts all over again.

23. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello @dangerine49 - is this the vicious attack dog you are referring to?

My husband and I have been glued to the TV for the past 2 days watching the results of 'the election' so a bit on edge about where threats may emerge.

Thank goodness for gardens, this forum, humour and beautiful dogs like yours.

upload_2020-11-5_23-37-6.png

24. Acerholic

Well another cold one here last night but plenty of sunshine first thing. Not too many left now, but here are a few that caught my eye.
    @Margot. I am sure you will be fine Margot. The extreme left and right everywhere seem to be up in arms these days. But it only lasts whilst the weather is warmish. Once it gets a bit chilly or the rain comes they tend to hibernate, Lol. Perhaps buying a vicious looking dog like Harry will do the trick !!! J @dangerine49 has cheered us all up all year with photos of him.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, monicasanchez, Nik and 3 others like this.
  25. GreenLarry

Couple of Norways from today, one bare of leaves, one still dressed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    zfrittz, monicasanchez, Nik and 2 others like this.