Acer palmatum 'Zaaling'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'Zaaling' is a wonderful green dissectum with lovely scarlet petioles and hints of red on the tips of the lobes.
    A low spreading maple that would be ideal with a lot of ground to cover.
    In my garden I placed it in morning sun and shade from 2pm. It does very nicely there. As you can see it just goes over the stepping stones I have as a path, an effect I rather like. Photo 24th July 2020.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  2. Acerholic

1st August 2020, my Zaaling is still pushing out new growth. Looking at this when the sun came up very very early this morning in my garden, (I do like sunrises btw), I had the feeling for a brief moment 'all is well in the world'.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Margot like this.
  3. Acerholic

5th August 2020 and the new growth has unfurled, I hope that is it for my Zaaling this season, even though I love to see the new dissected leaves as they are so pretty.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  4. Acerholic

August 6th 2020 and extreme heat is forecast over the next few days, so I thought I would post photos of my dissectums before and after to show how they cope. This I feel can be useful for people considering buying a particular variety.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  5. Acerholic

new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    Often overlooked until you see these colours emerge.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  6. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    The colours they are a changing !!!!

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  7. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    Getting better and better each day.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.
    The colours on my Zaaling come out to play.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

3rd October 2020 and a very droopy Zaaling in my garden. But the tips of the lobes now have those tell tell orange/ reds.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

8th October 2020 and I'm posting this to show that not all dissectums turn early in the Autumn. Some like my Zaaling are always very late, so if you are thinking about buying one, then please be patient. You will be rewarded when others have dropped their leaves.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

13th October 2020, just 5 days later and this is how my Zaaling looks this morning. Blink and you miss the changes !!!

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

16th October 2020, deeper and deeper red my Zaaling goes. The sunshine on the leaves and red branches made for a very cheerful maple this morning in my garden.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

18th October 2020 and the bright pinks of my Zaaling is such a pleasure for me in my garden. Cheers me up no end !!! Hope it does you.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

20th October 2020 and everything is moving along now. Colours emerging every day. Posted as it was requested last night. But why not !!!

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

November 9th 2020 and my Zaaling is still full of colour. This cultivar never fails to produce a long show in Autumn.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

April 5th 2021 and as not a lot have this one and I get a lot of PMs about it, I will give regular updates on it's progress.
    Zaaling 181.JPG

18. Acerholic

25th April 2021 and my Zaaling has held off until after all the frosts to start to leaf out.
    Zaaling 201.JPG

19. Acerholic

23rd May 2021 and it's taken a while this year, but now my Zaaling has opened it's leaves.
    Zaaling 235.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

11th June 2021 and my Zaaling is so pretty now. I really love the green dissectums.
    Zaaling 262.JPG

21. Acerholic

29th June 2021 and my Zaaling at it's best IMO with those new second flush leaves emerging.
    Zaaling 282.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

11th July 2021 and my Zaaling with old and new leaves makes for some lovely contrasts at this time of the year.
    Zaaling 299.JPG Zaaling 299 (2).JPG

23. Acerholic

16th April 2022 and a very happy Zaaling is getting underway. Taken it's time this year, but better late than never.
    Zaaling Mid April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  24. Acerholic

21st May 2022 and a fully leafed out Zaaling in my garden early this morning.
    Zaaling 21st May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  25. Acerholic

24th July 2023 and well over a year since my last posting of my Zaaling. Now with second flush leaves appearing.
    PXL_20230723_114250856.jpg