Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes.

Nik likes this.
  2. emery

Hey guys,

It's become impossible for me to keep up with this thread!! I guess the problem which such a big, huge, immense, gargantuan (wait do I have to consult a thesaurus, no!), monolithic, stupendously whacking large! thread is that it's pretty easy to get lost in. Even if you can keep up.

This thread should absolutely IMO continue, we all need cheering up, and when I can I try to catch up here. So this is a great chat thread. And it cheers me up, don't know about anyone else.

The issue occurs of course because of the size: I responded to Nik's post about A. truncatum ID, I don't know where my response went, and I couldn't hope to find his picture again without significant effort. This thread is so brobdingnagian that it breaks the model.

I think we should move the specific maple seasonal photos to a different thread, @Acerholic. It will be less imposing for the public at large, and I think will get more traffic on the forum, (something this thread has certainly achieved in record fashion) because those like me who are running low on time will be able to follow and enjoy it.

So, I'm going to start a "autumn color 2020" thread, if you all follow me there that would be great, otherwise so it goes (as M. Vonnegut reported famously.)

I'll be back here on this, uh, lets see, um, towering! thread as I can, and without even a glance at the thesaurus.

cheers! -E

monicasanchez, GreenLarry and ROEBUK like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@emery and others, the thread has been amazing, so many people on PM's have asked me to keep it going and if you watch the Mr Maple video attached, you will see it has a worldwide following.
    I will keep posting on it for a few more weeks to finish the 2020 season and if members want to post on the new thread, then that is also great for our love of maples.
    But do look at this video from today.

4. emery

Hey, excellent call out D! And well deserved.

@timnichols married life is agreeing with you, man! :)

timnichols likes this.
  5. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Not much autumn changes here yet. I was checking out my Butterflies to see if any magenta color started. Out of three trees I found ONE leaf! The new Grandma is looking like spring has sprung. And some new growth on the Ukigumo. Crazy baby...

Attached Files:

6. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Color change has begun to reach down into the interior though the exposed leaves have long been red.
    'Seiryu'

10.08.20 02.44 PM.jpg 10.08.20 02.42 PM.jpg 10.08.20 05.37 PM.jpg

On the other hand, 'Hubbs Red Willow' was orange/red at the end of September and today is green though that will be short lived.

09.29.20 09.07 AM.jpg 10.08.20 05.44 PM.jpg

7. Acerholic

@dangerine49 good morning J, the photos of your garden are so bright, cheerful and Spring like. Looks like you are going to have some very late colour there in Long Island. Really enjoyed the sunshine through your leaves.

8. Acerholic

@wind-borne good morning G, what a contrast in colours from yours and J @dangerine49. Your country is soooo big !!! It really fascinates me to see this.
    What a wonderful wake up for me from both of you this morning, 'absolutely' beautiful!!!

9. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, first of all thank you to all the kind PM's I've woken up to this morning and glad you all enjoyed the video by Mr Maple. I certainly did. It's on posting 3828 if you missed it.
    Over 60,000 views and nearly 4,000 replies to this thread shows a love of all things maple world wide and it appears it is growing.

So to continue as requested, the colours in my garden this morning and tbh it's spookily warm atm. Here are a few I took moments ago. My Ornatum has been hit by the hot winds we had, but I'm still hopeful of some colour.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

This morning I am splitting my photos with the new thread on Autumn maples 2020. After some more PM's last night I promise I will not abandon this thread just yet. I do enjoy the mixtures of colours in early Autumn and none more than this year as we all need more cheer with what is happening everywhere once again.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

The sun is shining and there is a heavy dew this morning with colours appearing everywhere. So here are half of the photos I just took.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz and Nik like this.
  12. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

The Purple Norway Maple, Acer platanoides 'Crimson King', in our former street getting its Autumn clothes on.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

@GreenLarry good evening Larry and what a tree it is too, doesn't get the recognition it deserves IMO. Great photo.

GreenLarry likes this.
  14. GreenLarry

15. Acerholic

Good morning, my ghosts are on the move to Autumn colours now, so here are a few plus my Flavescens that glowed under the early morning sun. I was lucky to snap it when I did as the cloud has now rolled in. I've also added the very last leaf of my Brilliantissimum, just to show that not every Acer in my garden has held on this year.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Well its a lovely sunny morning here in Southern England, a bit chilly now, but all the better for some colour. Here are a few taken minutes ago.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and zfrittz like this.
  17. Acerholic

Good morning, I thought I would add a few that are very bright and cheerful in my garden just now, as there is so much gloom around atm with this virus. And even with trees that are not at there best, as in my Going Green, they still give me pleasure to look at.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

It's bright and a bit cold this morning, so I wanted to show a few that are of the more subtle colours in my garden atm. IMO a garden of maples should not have everyone being being vivid.

Attached Files:

19. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

first splashes for 'Green Cascade', subtle before the riot of color.
    DSCN0641.jpg DSCN0642.jpg

monicasanchez, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Good morning, it is a lovley sunny day here so took a few before setting off to do some planting at my daughters garden whilst she's at work. First time adding my new Mirte on here, but nothing in my garden is as bright and cheerful as my Atropurpureum.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

I have just received my new Acer palmatum 'Ogi tsuma gaki'. Very small but should be a fun cultivar. I do love to evaluate trees over the years from a tiny start. Ogi translates to fan, in case you were wondering and I know everyone is aware of Tsuma gaki.
    So just added a photo here to give a little cheer this morning.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

Good morning, my Ariaki Nomura and Ginko biloba were contrasting nicely moments ago, so thought I would share with everyone.
    Ariaki will turn more into the coming days.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz and GreenLarry like this.
  23. Acerholic

Now for my friends Acer palmatum taken a few minutes ago. Just a few yards from me so I get the benefit as well.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz and GreenLarry like this.
  24. GreenLarry

Is this a Japanese maple? A. palmatum? It is outside a house and is just colouring up. In summer the slightly fancy leaves are a light green, with some variegation if I remember correctly.

Attached Files:

25. GreenLarry

Beautiful combo!