Palm food

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Carol Ja, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I'm looking for some food for my palms and cycads, and I know what they need lots of nitrogen, magnesium, mangenese, iron.., but I don't seem to be able to find a brand that has those in. Anyone have any suggestions? Fast release works better for me. I'd prefer those listed to be the higher percentages if possible.
    Carol JA

2. SDurham

SDurham Member

My husband and I use Miracle Grow Shke 'n Feed...Palm plant food. This was suggested by a sago farm, and it works pretty good.

3. GARYIRYNA

GARYIRYNA Member

MONTE PEGO, COSTA BLANCA, SPAIN Zone 10A or B
    Epson Salts is also very good for yellowing problems, 1 tablespoon per litre of water

Soil factors is very inportant also, some like rich acidy (peat), some like alkaline (limestone) and make sure all is well draining by adding either, sand, wood shavings, perlite, moss, little pepples at bottom of pot. by just using peat alone is bad, as it holds the water, which means the roots rot and die. if indoors, palms like light or partial light, not in cold position. the rules are, if the temp is comfortable for you, its comfortable for the palms. we all learn from mistakes. i have a hedyscepe canterburyana seedling, but i added too much sand, so the mix is too well draining, and roots are getting no goodness from the mix, leafs are very dry crisp, and its touch and go if they will survive.

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

thanks for the answers a little late, but good to know thanks. I'm not feeding palms at this point, as it is the end of growing season.