Autumn colors 2020 - Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Oct 8, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some pictures as things start to accelerate with some cold nights. I hope to see others on this thread!

I'll edit later and add the names... Well, later meant the next day:

3 of AJ 'Kujaku nishiki'
    View outside from the upstairs hall
    3 of AJ 'Vitifolium'
    2 of 'Linearlobum'
    2 of 'Higasa yama'
    3 of 'Akikase nishiki'
    View looking north from the field, Vitifolium stands out next to a Eucalyptus
    'Linearlobum' (next day)
    A. truncatum just starting
    View looking into the new part of the aceretum, A. palmatum near, A. rubrum 'October Glory' (small) and 'Emmett's Pumpkin' very red.
    Back of the house, A. capillipes 'Honeydew', Sango kaku, A. pseudosieboldianum which has suffered this year. The very green plant is Quercus phillyreoides.
    Last pic is of 'Kinran'

-E

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great pictures emery as usual. Lovely vibrant colours.

Cjart likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@emery and you said you didn't expect much this Autumn!!!!! Lovely.

Here's to the new thread

Luke’s Maples and Cjart like this.
  4. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Lovely fall colors

5. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@emery wonderful, as per...

I’ve not been out the back since last Thursday due to perpetual rain and busy at work.. Had a sneaking look just now..Osakazuki is looking promising and starting to enter nuclear fission phase..it didn’t do it last year.
    All leaves on Ariadne have dropped..probably due to the heavy rain we’ve had.

Interestingly my Aconitifolium that I’ve had in a very shaded spot all year (as a test) has gone a lovely uniform orange top to bottom, leaf photo (6) where as the other one that gets morning sun is the regular peacock mix with intense reds and purples (7).

Reasonable colour now on the S.Aureums and a good orange on the Scolopendriifolium.

Most of my dissectums have not changed very much apart from one dark red (will have to check the name) has totally dropped.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

@dicky5ash good afternoon R, you will have to go out the back more often, they are wonderful.

dicky5ash likes this.
  7. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Jerre Schwartz
    Irish Lace
    Wakehurst Pink
    Omureyama
    Higasayama
    Shojo Nomura
    Ruby Stars
    Fairy Lights
    Kumoi Nishiki
    Beni Maiko
    Peaches and Cream
    Viridis
    Beni Hoshi
    Sister Ghost
    Viridis

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, what an amazing array of colours Luke. Your garden must glow as the light starts to disappear at the end of the day and just before the sun rises. Magical times!!!

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  9. Luke’s Maples

Suminagashi
    Aka Shigitatsu Sawa
    Autumn Glory
    Red dissectum
    Summer Gold
    Beni Schichihenge
    Flavescens
    Fascination
    Vitifolium (new growth)
    Viridis
    Ornatum

Attached Files:

10. Luke’s Maples

Group

Attached Files:

11. Luke’s Maples

Jordan

Attached Files:

12. Luke’s Maples

Thanks D.

I enjoyed taking these.

13. emery

Really great to see your pictures, @Luke’s Maples really lovely, and @dicky5ash yours too! @Acerholic, highlights not withstanding it actually is a poor season here, so many have already lost their leaves or have marcescent brown leaves.

And it's going so fast! I took some pictures today, the difference in many trees was really remarkable.

Here's Jordan today, here. What a good maple.

Attached Files:

14. Luke’s Maples

Wow, that is stunning. I have to agree, it’s a must have. Looking forward to the bright yellow next spring already.

15. emery

Yeah amazingly this 'Jordan' only got planted last spring. It got some shade, but otherwise did super well for only the second year in ground. Kept its yellow well, too.

That said, I killed one a few years ago. Glad I tried again!

16. Acerholic

That's an amazing Jordan Emery, mine is still in it's Summer yellow colours.

17. ROEBUK

Going green bought in 2016 pic 1, then the others from today, gets a more vibrant orange every day now , emery i know you have seen this last week but the colour's are now just getting stunning on a daily basis.

Attached Files:

18. ROEBUK

My old Mirte thought i would post these pics now, going to be very windy and rainy over the weekend so will probably be bare come Monday :)

Attached Files:

19. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That's numbers 2, 4, 5, 7, and 10 that are Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum', is that right? The veins stand out so nicely now.

20. Acerholic

@ROEBUK so much colour from West Yorkshire once again M. Hope the wind doesn't blow them away too soon for you.

21. Acerholic

Good morning, here are a few that took my eye earlier in my garden. A colder start that will turn everything now.

Attached Files:

22. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

WOW! a veritable cornucopia of dazzlingly radiant and phsychedelically kaleidoscopic foliage....wonderful.thread.
    Still not much happening here in the SE UK.

23. emery

Yes we seem to be well advanced on the Southern Counties. I think it's because you got much (extravagantly or even magnitudinally!) more rain, we got some but too late to really preserve the season. For example, here's 'Japanese Sunrise' here from yesterday. It gets some sun but not too much, but it burnt none the less as you see. I have (had?) a very pretty micro-dwarf the I planted next to it this year, a seedling from Lima Gold, the just shriveled up; only time will tell whether it will live. This is a very hard place to get water to, another maple in the bed, A. rubescens 'Summer Snow' has really suffered to.

So JS has proven pretty resistant all told.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, 0soyoung, Nik and 2 others like this.
  24. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

On the contrary my dear Emery,apart from the couple of inches rain we had a few days ago we haven't had any rain since before the last heatwave.I'm still trying to fathom out what conditions bring the best fall colours.My garden's never been great for this,even the mighty bloodgood,never gave me anything.
    I tried keeping them watered as they'd lose their leaves before any colour but it didn't make any difference.I also have many maples that contradict the experiments and theory of sun=better colour.Infact I had a load of rootstocks that all had brlliant red fall colurs,so kept 3 back to grow on in more sun.They didn't show any colour until I moved them back into more shade...so I don't know.Wether PH plays a part I'm not sure as some of my in ground maples show good colour though alkaline.
    I expect it'll just be the usual suspects that glow for me but can at least enjoy the super display here posted by you and the other enthusiasts :)...that's a super yellow on your JS BTW.

opusoculi likes this.
  25. Acerholic

@Houzi good morning J, I agree with your comments about rain here in the South of England. Spring when our trees really needed it the ground was cracking it was so dry. Now IMO this time of the year is the most crucial for water. In the Summer when it is hot and it hasn't rained for a while it is then too late to help the Autumn colours with watering.
    So it's April and May especially that we have to be vigilant with our tree roots. Others may have a different opinion but this is what I have found sadlly to my maples detriment over 42 plus years of growing these trees.
    So if this advice helps other peoples maples and not suffer the same as my trees have in the past, then I will be pleased.

opusoculi and Houzi like this.