Squirrels/Rabbits/Chipmunks etc

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by George999, Aug 7, 2020.

1. George999

George999 New Member

I've a relatively new gardener, and I haven't really read much, I've been at this around 3 summers now, learning as I go. sometimes I plant seedlings, sometimes seeds.

The single biggest problem I've had has been critters eating my fruits. They've absolutely devastated my apple and cherry trees, along with all my berries and some baby watermelons. The problem was manageable last year, I put up a wire fence lined with some cayenne pepper, and it more or less worked. This year however I expanded my garden significantly, and the critters appear to have noticed. I live in an area with a woodlot nearby, so there's a large presence of small animals. So much so that we have a significant red tailed hawk population and occasional coyotes & foxes in the area.

I've read about it online, and all the solutions seem to me to be non-solutions. I've tried:

cayenne pepper spray
    Irish Spring
    critter ridder

None of them have done anything. Critter Ridder is very expensive given how useless it is...

The reviews on sonic repellants are very bad, so I haven't done that. I think the coyote urine would work, but I've a dog, so don't want to do that.

The only thing I think I have left open is to build a fence around the whole thing, including the top. I was thinking of putting in a few 4x4's, running chicken wire along the length and width, then topping it off with bird netting. I have two cherry trees within the actual garden, so that's why I think the top would need to be netting, I can place it around the tree. I really can't think of any other solution.

So I've a few questions --

1. Is there a certain kind of fencing that works best for squirrels? Does anyone offer a decent prefab critter fence? Or is a DIY fence best?
    2. Is there a certain kind of fencing that squirrels cannot climb? Will a chicken wire fence with bird spikes facing down from the top keep them off?

Or can anyone offer a better solution?

Any and all help much appreciated!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@George999, good morning, have you tried garlic? This is very effective for foxes and squirrels.
    There is no fencing I am aware of anywhere for Squirrels. If it is Grey Squirrels they will breed and breed and take over newly planted areas within two years.
    Predation should be encouraged. The hawk population will help. Your local hawk conservancy will be happy to advise. I have friends who have placed platforms in their trees to encourage breeding of Kites.

If you are looking at prevenative measures then chicken wire fencing works well. But not for foxes and rabbits unless it is buried 2 ft down. I have seen them get under that depth when their are chickens to be had. Squirrels and even foxes will climb anything. The only way is to have a chicken wire roof.
    Do give the garlic a try, it is cheap and so you have nothing to lose in trying.
    Hope this has been of a little help.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you have trees in your garden that are close enough to trees outside the garden that squirrels could jump between them, it will be very difficult to keep the squirrels out. If the squirrels have to get into the garden on the ground, an electric fence might work. They can probably jump over the fence, but they don't know that; so, they probably won't try. The fence has to be located far enough away from trees that squirrels can't jump to a tree from outside the fence. I've had 100% success with keeping racoons away from my grapes by using a 4-wire electric fence. It should be just as effective against foxes; but I'm not positive about squirrels, because squirrels don't seem to be interested in grapes. You may still need netting to keep birds away from cherries.

4. George999

George999 New Member

thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to build a wood frame and cover it with chicken wire, then open a hole for the cherry trees and drop down netting tied to the tree base.

One question on the electric fence -- I looked at that as well, but everything I looked at appeared to be designed for farms to keep the cows and chickens in and coyotes out. I was concerned they'd be too high power/dangerous for a residential neighbourhood. What kind of electric thingie are you using?

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

There are many different electric fence systems available, depending on the length of fence required. I used to have one, given to me, that was good for several kilometres of fence. After it stopped working, I bought a smaller unit that can power a much shorter length of fence and is more appropriate for my urban back yard. Neither system puts out enough voltage to hurt anyone; the shock is just uncomfortably surprising. I've experienced several shocks over the many years that I've used the electric fence.

6. Acerholic

Regarding electric fencing, I have had several over the years for my paddocks, connected to a Leisure battery. Worked well for my horse, but unsure if it would be effective for smaller wild animals. Like vitog, I have had many blasts when forgetting it was on over the years. Only a reminder not to go near the area, nothing more serious.

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Since you've had a few real replies now, I am posting a link to a bit of fluff that came up on my Facebook feed on the day this thread was started. I am sure it will not be helpful.
    Religious squirrels

Margot likes this.
  8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Maybe not helpful but hilarious! We need to keep a sense of humour where squirrels are concerned.

9. Acerholic

Some amusement is very welcome these days Wendy. Enjoyed this !!!

10. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

Squirrels are the biggest pests in my garden too. A couple years ago, I had started some Walnuts in pots, which sprouted and grew fine for a few months. I thought the young trees were safely being ignored. But come September/October, a button seemed to have been pushed and the squirrels went into crazy mode. They dug up everything that smelled like a nut, even the young trees, just to get at the nut they were growing out of. A few were saved, which I covered with metal mesh, but in the Spring the squirrels came back and sheared off the part of the tree that grew above the mesh. Either they were desperate, or just keeping their teeth sharp (they are rodents after all, and have to constantly chew.)

This Spring, I started some more Walnuts in pots and built little chicken wire teepees over the pots, held in place with rebar tie wire. The trees are doing fine now. But the back yard is still being dug up by the squirrels looking for places to bury food they get somewhere else. One way or the other, they are always digging up my backyard. I don't think it is hunger, they are presently getting a lot of food from local trees, I think it is instinct. And there is nothing you can do about it unless you want to wrap your whole property in chicken wire. Or take a more lethal approach. (I've read squirrel stew tastes pretty good, but haven't tried it myself.)

11. Acerholic

@DavidB52 The grey squirrel here in England is so very destructive, they will get in anywhere, however much you try to protect plants and small saplings. Sadly they have all but eliminated the Red squirrel that is native to the UK which cause very little damage. Thankfully Scotland still has the reds.
    Not sure about the grey squirrel stew though, Lol.