Oak Tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by coast, Sep 28, 2020.

1. coast

coast Active Member 10 Years

Several years ago I gathered an acorn from an old and unidentified oak tree and now there is growing a little oak tree.

Any ideas on what kind this could be so I know where to relocate it? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I can't say which oak your seedling may be but it definitely is not Garry Oak (Quercus garryana) which commonly grows in the Nanaimo area.

Generally speaking, all oaks grow best in sunny locations with well-drained soil. Allow lots of space because oaks can become very large in time. Don't fertilize. There are many websites that give further advice like the importance of protecting young trees from deer . . . here is one I thought was useful: Planting Oak Trees - Garden Design

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@coast Quercus rubra Northern red oak ? It is native to your area I believe.

4. Margot

Neither Quercus rubra (nor Q. robur) are native to this part of the world although both grow here. The leaf of Q. rubra is similar to the one @coast posted.

Quercus rubra from Wikipedia:
    upload_2020-9-29_7-12-11.png

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

@Margot thanks Margot for putting me straight on the non native Q. Rubra for your area. I knew Q. robur wasn't but did think that the former was.
    You learn something every day!!!

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Northern red Oak Quercus rubra. Invasive in some areas of Europe, not sure whether it is so in the PNW or not.

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hmm. Wikipedia says for Q. rubra " It is a native of North America, in the eastern and central United States and southeast and south-central Canada."
    I guess it depends how far "this part of the world" extends. Not native exactly right here here. I guess if it were native the same distance away in England, it would be off the island, so maybe fair enough, but Acerholic might have assumed you meant it was not native in Canada.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Half a continent away from Nanaimo BC!
    File:Quercus rubra range map 0.png - Wikimedia Commons

9. Margot

@Acerholic and I have exchanged enough messages to know that he is from Hampshire, England and I am from Vancouver Island, BC - both relatively small areas geographically. When we talked about Quercus rubra possibly being native to "this part of the world", I am quite certain he knew I was not talking about all of Canada.

10. Acerholic

@Margot good morning Margot, yes of course I understood you. The old discussion of what becomes native and how long etc etc comes to the fore yet again !!! But if it was introduced by man then it must surely be non native as you stated for BC. Gosh your country is big !!! With that scale in mind it must make Michael F and me appear to be next door neighbours here in England.
    I enjoyed reading Wendy's @wcutler and Michael @Michael F posts, it's what makes the forum so much fun, 'friendly chat about botany'!!

From one little islander to another, have a good day Margot!!!

11. Margot

Yes, @Acerholic and @Michael F, I do think of you as neighbours in a horticultural sense. We often have more in common than I do with my physical neighbours on the street. Especially at this time of day when you are rising and I am retiring, it's kind of like we are passing the torch to keep our love of gardening alive.

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@Margot I like that analogy , 'passing the torch' very nicely put !!!

13. coast

coast Active Member 10 Years

Acerholic likes this.