Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Winter hardy and self-seeds in a limited way.

wcutler likes this.
  2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Yes it does.
    I have the 1 plant that flowered for the first time last year and this year I noticed at least a dozen seedlings popping up in the ferns.

wcutler likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, the sun was shinging first thing and there is so much new growth, but my Azalea Luteum was turning to it's Autumnal colours. So a sense of normality with this one !!!

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  4. Acerholic

I have waited 4 years for my Daphne transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance' to flower and today it has, just the one but at least it did.
    So I had to share it.

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Nik and Margot like this.
  5. pmurphy

I wish this smoke would go away!

Today is the first time I've had a chance to look at my gardens in several days - it's just too smoky to work outside - but it appears that the smoke may be causing my plants to stall. Those with buds that started opening a week ago have stopped, however but I did discovered that I have a new crop to deal with this year - chinese chestnuts.
    This is the first year they have produced and the pods are starting to split open so I collected a few - we'll roast them tonight .

(And to give you an idea as to how smoky it is, the trail camera set up by my waterfall is taking photos until almost noon using the nighttime infrared because it's so dark)

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

@pmurphy roasted chestnuts, I can smell them all the way over here P.
    Glad you have something to smile about with your small Atumnal harvest. There is always something!!!!!

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

I just watched a documentary film, THE GARDENER, about Francis H. Cabot. In essence a virtual garden tour of his creation. It was interesting, but I felt conflicted. Nevertheless, I recommend it. I watched it on Amazon Prime in the US.

8. Acerholic

@Nik good evening N, just watched the trailer, but even though I have Amazon prime, it is not available in the UK.
    Such a shame, it does look a wonderful documentary.
    Thanks for the heads up, I will keep a look out for it.

9. Margot

I wondered what you meant by that @Nik but now that I've watched half the documentary, I think I understand. Just imagine how many fabulous gardens there could be in the world if every passionate gardener had the means in terms of space and budget to create such a paradise. (I have to say though that it seems a bit claustrophobic for my taste.)

@Acerholic - this link might work for you The Gardener

Nik and wcutler like this.
  10. Acerholic

@Margot 'thankyou' for sending the link, but it says it will not play in my geographic region. I'll have to wait.

11. pmurphy

We had some rain over the last couple of day and it has cleared away the smoke, finally! And a little bit of garden color to celebrate...

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Just visited the nursery this morning, before a possible lockdown once again and came back with a few Elaeagnus ebbingei. I wanted more perfume in the garden in the Autumn and these certainly do the trick. Such tiny flowers but they give a real punch.

Attached Files:

13. pmurphy

The weather forecast is calling for "the first significant Fall storm" to hit on Wednesday so my husband and I went out this morning to start storing some of the breakable garden decor and to prep for wind and rain. As an afterthought I decided to check my chocolate vines - Akebia quinata - and guess what, I have to deal with another harvest! And for those that have never tasted or seen how big this fruit is (I'm guessing at least 99% of gardeners), I have a treat for you.
    This weird purple fruit will split open when ripe and the seedy pulp sort of reminds me of some alien looking slug, but tastes surprisingly nice with a flavor and consistency of tapioca. And some of the larger fruit can be as big as my palm.

Last year I made up a jam that was very tasty but I mistakenly threw out the recipe - there is no recipe for this fruit so I had to make one up and will have to do so again this year...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Nik, wcutler, Margot and 1 other person like this.
  14. Acerholic

@pmurphy what a coincidence, this fruit was on The Beechgrove garden TV program yesterday. As you say an alien looking fruit that you have to take leap of faith to try.

Margot likes this.
  15. Margot

It took my parents years to persuade me, as a child, to try tapioca but, when I did, I loved it! Now, I'm also reluctant to try the "weird purple fruit" of Akebia quinata but, since there is none in my area to tempt me, I'll just have to learn to live with the deprivation. Kind of a relief!

16. pmurphy

Last chance to do anything outside before the first Autumn storm is supposed to hit so I spent it gathering the last of our Chinese chestnut - which is like trying to pick up a very prickly hedgehog (I definitely don't recommend trying to catch the falling nut clusters!)

Chinese chestnut - the toonie gives you an idea as to the size of the clusters.
    Chocolate vine - these fruit are not yet ripe but you can see the size compared to the leaves.
    Glorybower
    Weeping tree dahlia - this is a 3 year old seed grown plant growing in my covered garden (sorry for the water spots on the lens) and is almost 2.5m tall.
    Sun bromeliad - looks like it's finally going to flower (I've had it many years but I moved it this past spring so it obviously didn't like where it was).

Attached Files:

17. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Fascicularia bicolor looks like it already is flowering, isn't it? Those yellow bits are the stamens.

18. pmurphy

It should have a lot more color, here are a couple more images taken from Davesgarden.com

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But maybe this is all I'll get this year...

bihai, Margot and Nik like this.
  19. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, the red colour is not the flowers, though I see it gets red on its leaves just before it flowers. The flowers are the group of white bits in the centre, each with their own group of stamens. If there are more flowers, is there more red??
    There was a Botany Photo of the Day with a wonderful photo:
    Fascicularia bicolor.

20. pmurphy

That I'm not sure of. I've never seen one actually flowering before and was hoping mine would have more red so at this point I'll just have to watch to see what it does (if not this year then next year).

21. pmurphy

My mother just sent me some photos of the asters in her gardens; she says they are called "Ball Florist Mix".

Attached Files:

Margot, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  22. pmurphy

I went outside to check on things after several days of wind and heavy rains; a lot more Autumn colors appearing now.

American beautyberry
    Patio peony 'Moscow'
    Bitter orange leaves turning
    Bitter orange fruit starting to ripen

Attached Files:

Margot, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  23. Margot

To my eye, my garden looks beautiful with so many textures and shades of green. Not much colour though. Here's the last of the season until the hellebores begin to bloom. I would have included a photo of my Colchicums but I accidentally sprayed them with vinegar (intended to kill the liverwort nearby) rather than with Bobbex to protect them from the nasty little wabbits. :-)

1. Symphoricarpos alba (aka, Snowberry) - a bumper crop this year. Funny that no birds fancy the berries.
    2. Nerine bowdenii - planted in the wrong spot by the previous owners, this clung to life for many years until I finally rescued it. Now thriving!
    3. Sempervivum - you'd think a plant with so many leaves could produce just a few more flowers . . .

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  24. Acerholic

Good morning, after waking and seeing Margot's posting about textures and greens, I looked out of my window to see my Cryptomeria Japonica Sekkan Sugi glowing in the very early morning sunshine. So thought it would be nice to share what I saw.

Attached Files:

Nik, wcutler, pmurphy and 1 other person like this.
  25. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

SO many beautiful flowers here that I have never seen, probably because its way too hot for most of them here.
    1. Aglaonema
    2. Medinilla Gregori Hamballii
    3. Birdsnest Fungus
    4. Anthurium Red Crystallinum
    5. Anthurium veitchii, 'King Anthurium'
    6. Costus vargasii 'Raspberry Yogurt'
    7. Bilbergia bromeliad

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.