Rhododendron hybridizer

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Douglas Justice, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Does anyone know who is the Seabrook of Rhododendron 'Grace Seabrook' fame? Is this person a Pacific Northwest hybridizer?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Off-topic, but that RHS reference has a very useful glossary, with flower and leaf shape diagrams, on pages 8-13.
    Edited: the main RHS document in Houzi's link below also includes the glossary and diagrams. The companion document listed above opens more quickly, if the glossary is the point of interest.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

6. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

7. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Fantastic. Thanks. When did Hirsutum come back online? That would have been my first stop had I known it was working again.

8. wcutler

I don't think it's really there. Some direct links always worked, and some info pages, but, for instance, the wonderful photo gallery is not there. And the contact page still says essentially "get lost, we're not going to read this".

9. Douglas Justice

With respect to Hirsutum, it appears that the search engine is no longer functional, but the alphabetical listings of species and hybrids have all of the images and associated text accessible.

10. wcutler

Thank you.
    I started to say I would fix up the entry on the Rhododendron and all Ericaceae Resources page if you would explain how to get the alphabetical listings. Links from browser hits do not work. Do I need to put in a link to the first page of something, so people can then navigate?
    And, is this page linked to above part of the hirsutum site, the alphabetical listings you mean? Hirsutum.info -- Rhododendron Hybrids/cultivars: 'Grace Seabrook'
    Hmm, this page is working for me now: Hirsutum.info a virtual arboretum: all about rhododendrons, azaleas, azaleodendrons and vireyas, did not work when I tried it earlier. OOH, I think replacing hirsutum.info with rhododata.online makes everything (?) available. But the navigation is missing - I can't get from say, the species pages, to the azalea pages without putting rhododata.online on the url line, or paging back. And, as you say, search doesn't work. Still, what a relief - all that data!