Need help saving my peace lily!

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Sin, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sin

Sin New Member

Hi everyone!

As the title suggests, my peace lily isn't doing so well.

A little back story on it: I inherited the plant and from the get go it wasn't doing great. It had lots of leaves but they would all turn light green or yellow. I transferred it to a new pot when I noticed that its roots were spilling out of the one it was in. It was improving but then it just went down hill and now it looks like this.

I'd greatly appreciate if any could tell me what is going on with it. Any suggestions are also greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Sin good evening and welcome to the forum. Peace lilies are a plant that needs plenty of light and a feed every two weeks. Yours may also need a little time to settle after repotting into new compost. Yellowing of the leaves is a sign of under or over watering. They require the soil to be just right, not too wet or too dry.
    There have been other questions on the forum about similar problems. Here is a link.
    Peace lily problems
    Looking at the photo of your Lily, it may not be able to be saved. And tbh this is not an expensive plant to replace. So this my well be the final option.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Sin, I see you are in California. Do you have the ability to grow this plant outdoors? I grow all of my Spathiphyllums as pond plants. They grow extremely well as emersed aquatics (an aquatic plant that has its roots in water and its foliage above water, as opposed to an immersed aquatic which grows entirely underwater). Here in the South, growing Spathiphyllums as 'beta fish' plants essentially hydroponically is an extremely old fashioned way to grow one as an emersed aquatic in the house. The belief back then was that you put a beta fish in a vase fill it with water and then put the bare root peace lily on top coming out the mouth of the vase, the beta fish would eat some of the roots (false) and the fish poop would fertilize the plant (true). But the beta fish cannot live long term without additional feeding. SO the plant may thrives but the fish will die.
    You can make an aquatic vase planting without the fish and just add a little fertilizer from time to time, and it makes for a nice conversation piece in your house. Or, you can put your peace lily in an outdoor tub garden and it will get pretty huge.
    These are photos of mine that I grow as aquatics.
    Photo 1 is a small offset of Domino, a variegated one, that is growing as a pond marginal in the edge of a pond, the second one grows in a tub.
    If you grow indoor in soil, this plant likes to be under potted a bit and watered to keep the soil evenly moist

Attached Files: