Acer palmatum 'Beni tsukasa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    Just a few days since last photo of this one and look at the changes!!!

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

18th August 2020 and everything is colouring up along with new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    My Beni tsukasa is of the Autumn colour changes.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and my garden is looking like its Spring, all my maples are putting on this amazing amount of new growth. The weirdest year ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Becoming brighter with each and every day. Sooo pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    My Beni tsukasa is looking better with some early morning sun.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    Darker and darker my Beni tsukasa leaves turn and soon to the scarlet reds. But I love the transition phase, as shown on my photo.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.
    Now my Beni tsukasa is brightening up the garden.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and new leaves everywhere still. But some signs of Autumn at last on my Beni tsukasa.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

25th September 2020 and some colours are more subtle than others. But that is the beauty of maples they are all so different and often the same tree is different year on year. This is why they are loved the world over.

Attached Files:

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

The spring color of this one is spectacular... In this case in full sun. I imagine more subtlety in the shade.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

@Nik you are making me realise that Spring is another 6 whole months away N. Stunning photos to enjoy on a cold dark evening here in England.

12. Acerholic

The last day of September 2020 and my maples are now doing what they should do as a whole.
    My Beni tsukasa was keeping up it's side of looking pretty in early Autumn IMO.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

9th October 2020 in early morning sun my Beni tsukasa showing how the colours fade as Autumn progresses, the vivid deep reds only last a short while on this cultivar.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and my Beni tsukasa has a subtle look that I enjoy amongst the bright vivid colours in Autumn. Not everything should jump out at you.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  15. Acerholic

13th April 2021 and even after very hard frosts for over 10 days now, my Beni tsukasa is underway and looking OK IMO.
    Beni tsukasa 188.JPG

16. Acerholic

1st May 2021 and even with the hardest of frosts last night my Beni tsukasa has made a reasonable start.
    Beni tsukasa 210.JPG

17. Acerholic

4th May 2021 and it was so nice to receive a PM last night asking for me to post an update on my Beni tsukasa, so here it is, as bright as a button as they say.
    Beni tsukasa 217.JPG

18. Acerholic

8th May 2021 and as promised another photo after more frosts to show that not everything gets hit. Hope that has helped in decisions to buy this one K.
    Beni tsukasa 220.JPG

Nik likes this.
  19. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Multiple colours all over tree now, all pics taken same time this evening in late afternoon sun.
    IMG_20210527_191430.jpg IMG_20210527_191522.jpg IMG_20210527_191509.jpg IMG_20210527_191559.jpg IMG_20210527_191632.jpg IMG_20210527_191544.jpg

20. Acerholic

maf and Nik like this.
  21. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

i think i need this beautiful tree

22. Acerholic

19th June 2021 and my Beni tsukasa is getting some very pleasant colours.
    Beni tsukasa 275.JPG

LoverOfMaples and D97x7 like this.
  23. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Eye catching!

24. Acerholic

Thanks D, this is a cultivar that doesn't get a lot of coverage on the forum, but I think the colours are wonderfully subtle.

25. Acerholic

23rd June 2021 and as promised here is my Beni tsukasa first thing this morning.
    Beni Tsukasa 276.JPG

D97x7 likes this.