Help Identify Insidious Weed

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dribera, Apr 10, 2006.

1. dribera

dribera Member

Would someone be able to help me identify this weed? I first noticed it in my garden and lawn about two years ago, when some "foreign" soil was introduced into the back yard. It is spreading and I have found it infesting more soil. When I go to pull it, it launches seeds as soon as the plant is touched. It is the perfect organism that sows its seed when its life is endangered. The roots are relatively shallow so it is easy to pull, especially if I catch it early. Small white flowers are found on young plants; leggy branches with the seed launchers on mature plants. Two pictures attached: young plant with flowers on the right, more mature ready to seed on the left.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

possibly a type of Cress, soteimes called snapweed (one of the many things by this common name) as it shoots the seeds out of the pods when touched.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cardamine.

4. dribera

dribera Member

That's it!

Thank you both,
    Dan

Latin name: Cardamine hirsuta
    Family: Brassicaceae (or Cruciferae), Mustard family
    Common name: This weed has a tremendous variety of common names, most relating to the way seed propel from the silique (seed pods). The most used common name is bittercress, others include: pepperweed, shotweed, snapweed, ad infinitum. Snapweed is the name of choice in British Columbia.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/weedspeciespage/bittercress/bittercress_page.html

5. tlpenner

tlpenner Active Member

It has shown up faithfully in my garden, too. It has a use-- it is tasty in salads--is a relative of arugula, and you can tell if you try it. (The leafy bit.)