Appreciation: Acer palmatum 'Trompenburg'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum Trompenburg began life as a chance seedling selected by J.R.P. van Hoey -Smith at the Trompenburg Arboretum in the Netherlands and introduced by the Esveld nursery.
    Now a very popular and rather unusual cultivar in any maple collection around the world. The lobes radiate laterally and evenly, giving the appearance of fingers extended from a hand. It also has a very ghost cultivar like look at certain times of the year.
    Trompenburg 145.JPG

I thought I would show my photo from this morning 13th September 2020 individually, as an appreciation of how wonderful the leaf is on this special Acer.

zfrittz, emery, LoverOfMaples and 2 others like this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great cultivar! @Acerholic your picture is very representative of new growth, older leaves are much less indented (as of course you know). Mine has done quite well in the sun and drought this year, though it's only been in ground a couple of years. It is in full sun.

I saw a wonderful huge specimen in the Lakes Country a couple of years ago, also in full sun.

Worth remembering that this clone, like most of the "palmatums" with curled leaves, is x A. shirasawanum. That's one of the reasons the new cultivar classification adopts the convention Acer 'Trompenburg' (Convexum Group).

3. Acerholic

@emery thanks Emery, yes it was new leaves, but thought it was worth the appreciation.
    So this is now Acer 'Trompenburg' in name and no longer Acer palmatum Trompenburg??
    Does this mean all the thread titles have to be changed in the photos gallery ??

4. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Emery,does this rule still apply if you know which species was the seed parent?

5. emery

Haha, get to it! :) No just joking! (And hope you'll forgive me for it!)

It's really just a convention. The MS decided to support this view, it's meant to reduce consumer confusion, because calling it Acer palmatum strongly implies it is just that. And of course its not. Some other examples, sometimes you see A. palmatum 'Johin', sometimes A. shirasawanum. Are they different? Nope, same clone. So saying Acer 'Johin' simplifies the game. I think it's a good idea especially on known hybrids. And it avoids the problem of A. palmatum ssp amoenum 'Osakazuki' becoming A. amoenum 'Osakazuki', which is confusing to anyone. Better just Acer 'Osakazuki'. It plays into the way that British call JMs Acers, also.

I don't think the convention has gained wide support yet, and everyone (including its author) sometimes forgets to use it. But hopefully with time...

@Houzi I think the only time you can reliably list the hybrid is if you've manually pollinated, as in x conspicuum (= pensylvanicum x davidii). (BTW de Jong told me he violently objected to conspicuum!)

@Acerholic, yes it's a lovely leaf, the new growth does have that nice jagged edge.

AlainK likes this.
  6. emery

Here's the quick reference for the groupings.

Attached Files:

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great info, thanks ^_^

8. AlainK

Ha ha ha ! another troublemaker !

;^D

That makes sense.

Think of all the people that still use inches and feet, and yards in Britain : even after the Brexit, I strongly doubt any government will get back to imperial measurement units. The mile and the pint will stay, but I don't mind. Celsius, kilometer, kilogrammme,... are there to stay anyway. Even the brexiteers have been irremediably contaminated, ark, ark, ark... ;0)

9. Acerholic

An English trouble maker, surely not !!!!! LOL.
    But thinking about it, if this is the way forward by the MS and this is the recognised forum for the MS, then perhaps we should start now with any new threads !!!?
    I am more than willing to go through all the Cultivar photo threads and remove palmatum from the titles. But this may need authorisation from the MS committee @emery and @Daniel Mosquin.
    Just a thought!!!

10. AlainK

Last year, my 'Trompenburg' suffered from too much sun so I put it under the shade this year. The dark red colour didn't keep as long as one in full sun, but the leaves are very healthy. The first picture shows a new leaf on the left, the second one, the leaves that never get any sun :

acerp-tromp_200921a.jpg acerp-tromp_200921b.jpg

0soyoung and Acerholic like this.
  11. AlainK

That's a very good idea.

My problem is that when connect to the site, I can see all the new posts in the "general" maple forum, but when I go to the sub-section "Maple photo gallery", I can see there are new posts (light green link), but there is no listing of the new posts, only the alphabetical list, except if I already posted a message on a specific topic. So, sometimes, I browse through the 23 pages, but it's time consuming.

I don't know if that is possible, but if the new posts in the sections "Maple Photo Gallery" and "Acer palmatum cultivars" could appear in the "general" forum, that would be appreciated.

12. Acerholic

I've started with this one. If I get the go ahead from @emery and @Daniel Mosquin I will do all the maple cultivar photos.
    Perhaps an announcement on the Maples forum and the Cheering ourselves up thread 'as it has a lot of followers', will get the message out there.
    But a start date is really required by the MS.

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You may find it more efficient to use the "New Posts" link at the upper left (just below the word "Garden" in the logo). That's what I do to monitor things.

14. Acerholic

Will do Daniel, when I get the OK from the MS.

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, my message was specifically for @AlainK as a way of dealing with seeing the new threads in those alphabetically-organized subforums. I don't think I would like to see those subforums collapese into the main one, but that's my take--I'd solicit feedback from others before going that route.

16. Acerholic

17. AlainK

Très bien, dans ce cas pas de problème, on se débrouillera ;°)

18. emery

Sorry for the delay.

We should not combine the image galleries with the main forum IMO. Having these forums as a stand-alone resource makes them much more useful to the public at large.

Nor do I think we should go and change the titles. Aside from being a massive undertaking, it would be necessary to key out each cultivar correctly to place the group, which means multiple checks. So complicated and error fraught under any circumstances.

But I think it's not a good idea to talk about changing the thread titles, at least until the new convention has been widely adopted. I don't believe I have seen many nurseries adopt it yet, even in EU, in spite of the main dendrological societies accepting it. I haven't seen a single US nursery adopt, even those who form part of the structure of the MS.

So we need put off any changes to thread titles. At most we could add a comment in a thread e.g. "This is now known as <> (<> Group) according to the Maple Society classification." But I even feel mixed about that: the image gallery works best as a resource when there are a few clear images without a lot of extraneous chat.

That's not to say we can't encourage people to adopt the nomenclature, esp for cultivars that are otherwise "complicated", in the main forum.

19. Acerholic

All understood Emery. As you say it is going to be a waiting game until it is formally adopted. So, 'as we were' !!!

emery likes this.
  20. Acerholic

8th October 2020 and I thought I would show how my Trompenburg is looking atm. The sunshine on wet leaves from the overnight rain is still making this a very special maple.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.