Acer palmatum 'Uncle Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, Sep 15, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Photos taken 8/15/05

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice plant, as I have grown to like some of the ghosts. I will say of this one, that it shares great similarity with the other ghost named Amber Ghost and bothshow much similarity to the new growth that emerges from Aka shigitatsu sawa/Beni shigitatsu sawa in the summer. I suspect that we will see some mixing up of the above Ghosts while Grandma, First, and Sister will remain more distinguished. So far there is only one Ghost I would recommend for landscape plantings as the rest seem more collectible in nature.

MJH

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does that rhyme with "destructible"?

4. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

And which ghost would you recommend for landscapes, 'First Ghost'?

5. mjh1676

First Ghost is moving up the list, but I am not convinced yet. It seems o.k. for potted culture as does Sister Ghost. My Grandma Ghost is a marginal grower so far. So with that said, Amber Ghost is my choice in the landscape. I like its growth habit, a little more compact than that others, and its array of color changes as well as good vigor. Mine also handled some sun this year, above and beyond what I would have expected.

I also like Purple Ghost, but I separate it from the others as it really is an entirely different plant. I like it for the landscape also, but it did not end up taking sun or wind as well as I first thought it might. It needs some shelter, even with the thicker leaves this plant has.

While I have seen good growth out of Amber Ghost, as a group, these plants are not strong growers. They do put out a dependable spring flush, but the summer growth is very limited, and they do not respond well to burnt leaves or defoliation. The push to replace damaged leaves seems slow also compared to many other maples.

I still think that I would take a good clean Shigitatsu sawa or Retiulatum over the green ghosts, but it is easier to find a ghost than a shigitatsu these days.

Enough ghostly talk for now. Being such a new group of plants, I am sure there are many differing opinions about them.

6. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

I've had a Grandma's Ghost for about a year but can't find out much about it. Can you tell me its exposure preference, evenutal height, etc?

7. mjh1676

8. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2009

Attached Files:

9. craigathon

craigathon Member

Hi every one, I was wondering what your impessions are of 'Uncle Ghost' now that some time has passed. wyeride, I love your pic's. Does the leaf shape stay that way and do the branches retain (like Kasigi yama) that purplish color? Any of your thoughts whould be greatly valued! I like what I have seen so far. There are a couple photo's on Buchholz & Buchholz Nursery's site.....and that's about it. Should I take this (lack of info.) as an omen to stay away from purchasing U.G.?

10. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is some photos of some of my uncle ghost, I like the color but it is a wild grower.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  11. amazingmaples

I do like this little tree, the color is rich. I am still trying to figure out how to prune it. I am thinking of keeping them more pruned back like one would do for a bonsai tree.

Attached Files:

12. amazingmaples

I find the coloring for this tree to be great. One of the trees is in full sun the other gets afternoon shade. It is a great tree to keep pruned small

Attached Files:

• 059.jpg
      059.jpg
      File size:
      273.9 KB
      Views:
    • 103.jpg
      103.jpg
      File size:
      255.5 KB
      Views:
    • 104.jpg
      104.jpg
      File size:
      232.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Acer palmatum 'Uncle ghost' Ive heard is not the most liked out of the ghosts. I do not know why !!?? This is mine Spring and Summer 2020.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

My Uncle ghost on 10th July 2020 . Why do people say that this cultivar is ordinary. I beg to differ. What do you think?

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

My Uncle ghost on the 30th July 2020 is now putting out new growth. It's getting rather late in the season and I really don't want to see this in August. Tender shoots in the Autumn is not good.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  16. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.
    Looks like it's been coated in a gloss in the rain!! The reticulation really stands out.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    Uncle ghost doesn't have as many fans as I think it should, perhaps beause it is similar to Grandma ghost at certain times of the year. I think if you have both you can tell the difference. Bit like having identical twins, a parent knows !!!
    New and old leaves in today's photos

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    Becoming one of my favourite ghosts. The reticulation is so strong on my Uncle ghost.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    So many colours on my Uncle Ghost this morning, think it could be a really good Autumn for this one.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    When a few other ghosts are not looking like a ghost, then Uncle comes out to say "Here I am".

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    This is a wonderful cultivar IMO, even though a lot say it's not.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and the subtle colours of my Uncle ghost are there to see now.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

12th October 2020 and a dry start to the day was just right to show how my Uncle ghost is turning. But the rain is coming and this will give this cultivar a lovly sheen. So more photos to come before they drop.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

26th October 2020 and the colours are a plenty now on my Uncle ghost. The rain then sunshine certainly helps I have to admit.

Attached Files: