Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dicky5ash good morning R, understood !!!! Sorry.

2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@Acerholic Afternoon D..not aimed at you just generally speaking, I just find the form of other people’s trees hugely interesting :)

3. Acerholic

@dicky5ash I understand R, so tomorrow morning it will be some whole trees as well from me.

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A picture that might interest you , three contrasts from this dreadful year for maples in the north of England mainly down to the horrendous winds/gales which we have suffered from constantly through out the year , my large Omureyama which is well on the way would liked to have seen more yellows in the leaf but it's ok until the next bout of winds !! then to the left side a filligree which has completely dropped with very little colour shown, in it's defense this was re-potted & root pruned last year so i wasn't really expecting anything to show this fall but next year this will be back to normal. Then to cap every thing off my large emerald lace in the fore ground which was only lifted last year and placed in it's new spot , and looking at it you would think it's in spring mode, over the past month it's just gone crazy re new growth. A very strange fall is coming that's for sure think we will see a poor showing this year especially with the potted ones but hopefully the large ground trees will show better.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good afternoon M, amazing contrasts going on there. And when is this new growth going to stop!! Your Emerald lace looks two toned Lol. Autumn and Spring in one photo. That's got to be a first!!!??

6. dicky5ash

@ROEBUK Thanks for sharing, all rather bizarre frustrating..I think you have suffered far worse up there than us soft southerners.. my Filigree is very much still green...am surprised yours has completely dropped. The growth on your Emerald Lace is unbelievable, mine appears to have focused on 3 branches only, but has grown by 2feet on them

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes we have suffered greatly with the winds this year never seen anything like it !!! The filligree as i said i wasn't expecting much this year, all the ones which were root pruned and re potted last year have more or less gone in the same manner , but with maples you know that they will come back stronger next year after they have settled down in their new pots . Three more pics of Amber ghost which is still pushing spring colours today ?? very strange things happening in the garden this year. And a big old Baldsmith , final year in the ground for this fella, just got a huge container for this one.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Good morning and a lot cooler it is. A few photos of some of my trees and a couple of leaves. Really pleased with my Ariaki Nomura atm.
    Looks like the last throws of Summer this weekend here in England, so going to make the most of it in the garden.
    Hope you all have a nice and safe weekend also.

Attached Files:

9. dicky5ash

@Acerholic very nice D thank you..lovely trees.. Sango Kaku is a strong grower isn’t it, yours looks about 12foot tall!

Your BiHoo also looks very strong..how long have you had that? Did you buy as a large tree or has it grown out? I like that you have positioned SK and Bihoo together.

I have 2, both were 3ltr Homebase bargains I picked up a couple of years ago.. one looks super healthy and the other is “doing ok” I had a lot of dieback when I got them and in the second year, looking stronger this year..I’ll post a photo

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

@dicky5ash good morning R, thankyou for the kind comments. Yes Sangu Kaku is around 12ft now. Bought as a very young graft only 5 years ago and it has shot up. Yes I thought Bi-hoo next to it would give the nice contrast in bark in the Winter. Seems to work!! But as you rightly say, Bi-hoo does have a lot of die back. A tree that gets smaller evey year, Lol. Definatly a buyer beware maple !!! Look forward to seeing how yours is shaping up.
    Looks like the last few days of nice weather here in the UK, so hope you have a lovely weekend.

dicky5ash likes this.
  11. dicky5ash

It goes without saying of your trees photographed look wonderful...the Photo of the BiHoo below isn’t great..it’s in a tricky position to get a good shot. My Ariadne has gone a striking colour all over, and is about 9foot wide now..its further ahead than my Osakazuki...as you can see in the leaf shot my smaller Aureum is loving life green lol spot the Gingo, it thinks waiting for Jack to climb it!

I can’t get a good photo of Palmatum Pygmy but that’s grown strongly this year.. oh and a photo of my Jordan in a sorry state..was leaf perfect 3weeks ago and it’s now dropped half it’s leaves.

Finally off topic..my friend has reserved a cockerpoo, and sent me a photo of another one available (the one with a white streak on its head) I was very tempted until I was informed they are now going for £3,000 eek!

Have a lovely weekend too D..

I was planning a gigantic repotting exercise but have done my back in installing some slabs and an arch in my mums garden!

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

@dicky5ash Your Ariadne is outstanding R. This is above all others my favourite maple. Red Pygmy is such a difficult one to photograph, I have the same problems. But to look at in the garden, it is a lovley tree without a doubt.
    Jordan seems to have suffered everywhere this year, so fingers crossed 2021 will be a good one. We are all in the same boat sadly.
    And as for puppies, I definatly know that maples are cheaper !!!!!! Perhaps not so cute though, Lol.
    Great photos R and hope your back recovers soon.

dicky5ash likes this.
  13. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

A lot of my maples have taken a beating this summer. My Ruslyn looks miserable but I spotted one new leaf this morning. And the new Grandma Ghost has a few new leaves. Yippee!!

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, monicasanchez and 4 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

@dangerine49 thats a lovley looking Grandma ghost J. Certainly makes up for all sun and wind damage this year.

15. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, a busy weekend in the garden for most I think, as Autumnal weather is here by Tuesday.
    Took these as they were still showing Summer colours. My favourite today in my garden is 'Chitosayama'.

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, dicky5ash and 2 others like this.
  16. Acerholic

Well the weekend has started off hot and sunny, but as R @dicky5ash has mentioned in another thread it is going to change in a big way next week here in England. So an early start lifting, moving maples and potting up etc etc in my garden, plus a few more photos.
    Today it is not a cultivar that has drawn my attention, but a seedling giving the most lovely Scarlet reds.
    Also some amazing new growth and an Anne Irene with a mixture of Summer , Autumn and Winter colours. These are going to drop very quickly !!!

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, AlainK and 3 others like this.
  17. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

These are Acer Garnets, one is redder than the other.
    Both are planted in containers next to each other and get full sun from 8 to 5.

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, AlainK and 5 others like this.
  18. Acerholic

@pphdam bizarre but both beautiful P.

19. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

They are beautiful, red dissectums are always my favourite. I have a few on my wish list for next spring :-)

P

20. Acerholic

@pphdam what ones are you getting P ?

21. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

Top of my list for next spring are Red Dragon, Red Filigree, and Pink Filigree. Then Atropurpureum (dissectum) and Inaba Shidare.

Have you bought any acers from Bays Nursary? they seem to have a big collection of acers but only deliver locally within a 30 mile radius.

P

22. Acerholic

@pphdam very good choice P and especially Red Dragon. I haven't bought from Bays nursery, so I can't comment I'm afraid.

That will be 5 beauties in your garden next year.

23. pphdam

pphdam Well-Known Member

I hope so, maybe more than 5 as Fireglow is another one on my list.

P

24. Acerholic

@pphdam there is always just one more P , Lol.

25. Acerholic

@pphdam took this one for you this morning P. Red Dragon in morning sun.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.