Growing Monstera as a hemi-epiphyte

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bihai, Sep 17, 2020.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a four Monstera deliciosa growing out in my yard, 3 green and one variegated. I decided to grow this last one the way they grow in nature. I took a 5+ ft cutting off of one in my greenhouse, and wedged the cut end into the old space made by trimming off a frond on one of my palm trees. Then I just draped the cutting onto the tree, and let the adventitious roots hang down. This was a month ago, now it it totally established and growing on the palm. No soil involved.

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Cool! Has its roots reached the ground to stabilize it yet?

3. bihai

Yes they were between 5-6 ft long when I made the cutting. I just let them lay on the ground, did not bury them, let them make their own way. Some of the shorter roots are growing on the trunk now. We have had so much rain and the humidity has been so miserable for months now it had a leg up for establishing fast. I got the idea to do this from all the strangler figs we see sprouting out of palm trunks at the beach. Both the strangler fig and Monstera deliciosa are hemi- epiphytes, usually starting up in a tree instead of on the floor, so I decided to let one go au natural

4. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Do you have any Thaumatophyllum, the tree Philodendrons, like perhaps Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum? Those would also make a great candidate to try the same way.

5. bihai

I have the one formerly known as Philodendron goeldii, a hybrid called Revolutions or some such, Xanadu...we grow the 'tree'philos as landscape plants here. Every yard has at least one LOL. Some people here plant them as privacy hedges